Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's not an expensive area for housing, anyway. The single-storey extension on the right is where the volunteer lockies keep their kettle, so perhaps CART are hanging on to that. But it's not a lot of money for a detached property, as long as it's structurally sound. It has good sized rooms, though the downstairs bathroom may put some people off.

Surely most people are put off by the no road access

• Greenie 1

Could be ideal for an enlightened type who realises cars are there to enslave humans.

Or maybe not as they would not want to be woken at 5am by idiots banging the lock gates shut. 

I have considered the potential benefits of living in a lock cottage since I first saw Claydon for sale for £35k back in 1994 (I had the cash) but it never seemed anything like as good as living on a boat. 

Too close to the public with an illusion of privacy. At least on the boat you know there is no privacy so it doesn't matter. 

Plus of course on the boat one is on the boat which makes all the difference. 

I keep seeing these nice houses by the Thames and wondering how expensive it would be to knock it down plant some trees and live on the boat. 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Athy said:

That's sad to see. When we moored in that area (late '90s/ early 2000s) it was a proper lock-keeper's house which housed a proper lock-keeper who took a pride in maintaining the lock and who, I think, won an award for the most attractive lockside in the region. 

He took a pride in the whole flight. Great sense of humour and, after retirement he was awarded an OBE or MBE (can't remember which) for services to the waterways

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Surely most people are put off by the no road access

I doubt it. If you look at the pictures, you can see other houses close by, so if you have a car you can probably park it within easy walking distance. I assume there must be a  gennel from a nearby road to the house.

27 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I have considered the potential benefits of living in a lock cottage since I first saw Claydon for sale for £35k back in 1994

Now that really doesn't have road access. I remember Mac and Jane Selkirk telling me that when they lived there they kept a wheelbarrow chained to a fence two locks down. That was the nearest place they could park, and they had to transport all their groceries etc. in the wheelbarrow.

It's an interesting building: it was the Oxford Canal's workshop, though I suppose it doubles as a lock cottage.

7 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Here’s a shot from 1976 our boat Tadworth on its way to Stenson to start the camping season. In the winter we used to load at the wharf .

CF23CFB0-1AA7-4368-95C7-95C5E090F01D.jpeg

Rothen's which was there until only a few years ago, by which time it must have been one of the last working coal wharves on the canals.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Rothen's which was there until only a few years ago, by which time it must have been one of the last working coal wharves on the canals.

This was long before Rothens had the wharf. It belonged to BWB and Ashby Canal Transport paid a small fee to load over it.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Athy said:

I doubt it. If you look at the pictures, you can see other houses close by, so if you have a car you can probably park it within easy walking distance. I assume there must be a  gennel from a nearby road to the house.

Looking on google maps it seems that the development of houses that surround it are cut of from the canal by a wall, meaning the nearest parking spot maybe a couple of hundred metres walk, not far, but a real pain if you have to carry your weekly shop to the house, and annoying if you take the car to work every day and the weather is bad. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Barneyp said:

Looking on google maps it seems that the development of houses that surround it are cut of from the canal by a wall, meaning the nearest parking spot maybe a couple of hundred metres walk, not far, but a real pain if you have to carry your weekly shop to the house, and annoying if you take the car to work every day and the weather is bad. 

And also going to be costly if you want to get builders in to do the renovations, and they are having to park some distance away and double handle all the new materials in and waste out.

19 hours ago, MartinC said:

He took a pride in the whole flight. Great sense of humour and, after retirement he was awarded an OBE or MBE (can't remember which) for services to the waterways

He was a pain. All he wanted to do was ride round on a mower. I suggested to him one day that he could take the grease pot with him and grease the lock gears that were red rusty and almost immovable, he was most offensive.

Couldn't spell either, some of his "bulletins"   were pathetic.

11 hours ago, crosser said:

were going to view the cottage but wondered if anyone knows what that area is like? 

Never had a problem passing through or mooring on a boat but this is only a snapshot. 

I understand there are plans for the derelict factory just over the road. 

Plenty of local supermarkets, close to a railway.

CaRT water point and bins on opposite side of canal. 

Like most places there is nothing like walking the area and feeling the vibe to decide if it suits.  Gurgle is your friend.

Local Planners appear to have a sense of humour.🙂

MinionsClose.thumb.jpg.9359828fc4be5ad8491f2f9f95a6c344.jpg

^^ This, walk around and see. It’s called lose to an Elsan point too. The development of the lovely (in my view) factory opposite will take a while and be pretty noisy as well. 
I don’t think it’s too bad a place and does have some employment opportunities nearby. I imagine the urban progress will continue though. 

14 hours ago, crosser said:

were going to view the cottage but wondered if anyone knows what that area is like? 

Put some new batteries in your crystal ball and have a look at how the canal will look a few years after CRT have folded in 2027. (This being when the government seems likely to de-fund them).

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

And how long before 'No Mooring' signs appear outside?

Surely not 😱 The listing says "2 mooring spots included!". Perhaps the agents saw the bollards for the lock landing and assumed it was mooring??

The exterior pics of the house are digitally rendered, the close up shows some lovely stone wash wall so obviously not real, where as the distance shot shows it having some sort of overflow in front of the house.

2 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

What a million pounds buys you on the Staffs & Worcs

4 bedroom detached house for sale in Botterham, Swindon, Dudley, DY3 (rightmove.co.uk)

I see London White is spreading...

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

There are 3 here on the Coventry canal Properties For Sale in Untitled (Drawn Area) | Rightmove

But do any of them actually have canal frontage?