Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, jupiter1124 said:

Cheddleton, £350k, looks like at least a 55'ish mooring. Unfortunately the Caldon was closed when I passed Etruria Jct a few months back so haven't done that stretch. Anyone know what the pub is like?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/127518425

Shame the agent can't spell 'Caldon' and seems to think you need the consent of Severn Trent Water to use the canal!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

Shame the agent can't spell 'Caldon' 

Isn't 'Cauldon' an alternative spelling? I have seen it written thus on a map, and there was a Cauldon Boatbuilders in the area some years ago.

I deplore the use (at least twice) of the inappropriately down-market word "eateries" Have the agents not heard of "restaurants"?

18 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yes for the area, no for the canal.

You're probably right. Nonetheless I've seen the Cauldon spelling used for the canal on a map, which I found on the internet earlier this morning. I don't know the date of the map. But it does give some credence to the estate agent's spelling.

According to the canal guide I use, the Caldon Canal is called that as, in the original Canal Enabling Act - giving permission to build the canal, there was a spelling mistake. It should have been "The Cauldon Canal". A major canal cargo was limestone from Cauldon Quarries to Froghall (via crude railway), then out on the canal.

However our local historian advises "Cauldon was spelt both with and without the 'u' in Church records as far back as the late 1600s. Maybe more of a spelling choice than a spelling mistake? Similarly Alveton/Alton - there was no point where the name officially changed"

On 03/10/2022 at 22:00, jupiter1124 said:

Cheddleton, £350k, looks like at least a 55'ish mooring. Unfortunately the Caldon was closed when I passed Etruria Jct a few months back so haven't done that stretch. Anyone know what the pub is like?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/127518425

Sadly yet another example of how to erase all traces of history and personality from the inside of what looks from the outside, to be a really interesting and character-laden house. 

I also take issue with calling it a "cottage". It isn't! 

11 hours ago, MtB said:

Sadly yet another example of how to erase all traces of history and personality from the inside of what looks from the outside, to be a really interesting and character-laden house. 

Out of interest why don't you consider it a cottage?   To me it fits the modern definition of a cottage.

11 hours ago, MtB said:

I have a mooring not far from there.... circ 2 MILES I've not put my bote on it yet.  :) Mine is very rural however.

Edited by mark99

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

On the other hand, three boats moored at say £15k a year each is 10% ROI and an appreciating asset. Definitely not to be sniffed at!

Mind you, the maintenance charges for that bridge are probably a bob or three...