Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, davidg said:

Because the cottage is at the lock where the canal commonly called the Huddersfield Broad Canal joins the C&H. The name of the canal when it was  built was Sir John Ramsden’s Canal.

No. The listing quoted is not for the cottage which has just sold. It is for the junction cottage, which is alongside the bottom lock of the Huddersfield Broad/Sir John Ramsden's canal.

The cottage just sold is at the downstream end of the Cooper Bridge lock cut on the Calder and Hebble Navigation, and is a couple of hundred yards downstream from the HBC junction.

2 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Aha, true, but what Alton did the name come from? It seems unclear looking at the names that the GCC motor boats were given as the names appear to an uninitiated me to be random cities towns urban areas and villages. Alton Towers was a significant mansion well before the rides came with notable gardens that are grade 1 listed  and nearish the canal so my hunch is from there? Was Nutfield named after Nutfield Priory or the village (Or neither...)? 

Alton was one of the Town class boat so it would be safe to assume that It’s not the Alton Towers. I had never heard of the town of Tadworth until we brought the boat and had to look up where it was. Nutfield was not part of this fleet and could easily have been simply named after a local spot.

3 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Aha, true, but what Alton did the name come from? It seems unclear looking at the names that the GCC motor boats were given as the names appear to an uninitiated me to be random cities towns urban areas and villages.

There was a theory, advanced by a friend of mine in Waterways World a good few years ago, that all the GU Town Class names were taken from Bradshaw's Railway Guide, as all are the names of railway stations that existed at the time, albeit that one or two are misspelled e.g. Bilster for Bilston and Edgeware for Edgware.

Incidentally, most are named after places in England, with a few in Scotland, none in Wales, and my boat, Belfast, is the sole representative of Northern Ireland.

57 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:
3 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Aha, true, but what Alton did the name come from? It seems unclear looking at the names that the GCC motor boats were given as the names appear to an uninitiated me to be random cities towns urban areas and villages. Alton Towers was a significant mansion well before the rides came with notable gardens that are grade 1 listed  and nearish the canal so my hunch is from there? Was Nutfield named after Nutfield Priory or the village (Or neither...)? 

Alton was one of the Town class boat so it would be safe to assume that It’s not the Alton Towers. I had never heard of the town of Tadworth until we brought the boat and had to look up where it was. Nutfield was not part of this fleet and could easily have been simply named after a local spot.

Alton towers is next to the village of Alton!

26 minutes ago, MtB said:

FTFY

Indeed 🤣  There is also a Derbyshire Alton 🤣.  Given that Alton village Staffs had what was then a well known Pugin designed mansion with one of the most noteworthy gardens of the time, near to a canal and had a railway station it’s possibly a more likely origin of the naming of Nb Alton.

However perhaps the person who named the boat was a perverse individual who chose it after the Hampshire town with a railway station to fool all but the wisest people 😄

Incidentally and trying to get back to property Alton Railway station (Staffs) later renamed Alton Towers railway station in the 1950s is now a Landmark Trust property available to rent.

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Given that Alton village Staffs had what was then a well known Pugin designed mansion with one of the most noteworthy gardens of the time, near to a canal and had a railway station it’s possibly a more likely origin of the naming of Nb Alton.

By the time NB Alton was named, the canal at Alton, Staffs had long been converted to a railway.

• 2 weeks later...

What does the forum think of March, and in particular this house in March? It has a 50'+ mooring and a 375k to 415k guide price. I think the navigation authority on the Old Nene are the MLC, are they amenable to mooring rights and reasonable with their prices? I'm planning to take a train to go and view it, but would appreciate some opinions, especially if you know the area (perhaps @Athy

@Scholar Gypsy

)

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/126620840

1 minute ago, jupiter1124 said:

What does the forum think of March, and in particular this house in March? It has a 50'+ mooring and a 375k to 415k guide price. I think the navigation authority on the Old Nene are the MLC, are they amenable to mooring rights and reasonable with their prices? I'm planning to take a train to go and view it, but would appreciate some opinions, especially if you know the area (perhaps @Athy

@Scholar Gypsy

)

I considered that but to my mind its too far to get onto the main network or indeed any form of civilisation......

Being far from civilisation is part of the appeal for me, having grown up in rural Norfolk and still with family in the east. I wonder if there is a danger of flooding there as i expect it might be lower than sea level. March itself doesnt look exactly picturesque from Google street view. but perhaps I'm being expecting too much at the 400k price bracket, which is a bit more than I can afford already really...

I've walked past that house many times. West End is lovely - literally a few minutes' walk from the town centre, but secluded. Do go and view the house which, like many on West End, is at least interesting .Oh, and it even has a Rayburn which is almost the twin of ours!

Be aware that West End is a lane which is very narrow in parts so car access may not be easy (you'll understand when you see it), though he's got his car into his courtyard. Also be aware that it's about a mile from March station - not a difficult walk (it's flat in these parts) but you might need a taxi if it's raining!

32 minutes ago, jupiter1124 said:

Being far from civilisation is part of the appeal for me, having grown up in rural Norfolk and still with family in the east. I wonder if there is a danger of flooding there as i expect it might be lower than sea level. March itself doesnt look exactly picturesque from Google street view. but perhaps I'm being expecting too much at the 400k price bracket, which is a bit more than I can afford already really...

It had, may still have a Spoons and an Indian restaurant that doesn't sell alcohol, also a proper pub and an Italian restaurant 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, jupiter1124 said:

@Scholar Gypsy

)

There are lots  of houses in March with private moorings,  so getting a consent from the MLC must be possible. 

I wouldn't think of this stretch as a river , it's a highly managed drainage system.  For example MLC lower the water level in winter to increase the capacity of the system to move water to the main pumps near Kings Lynn (capacity 100 cubic metres a second!).

I agree with the comments about west end , it's well worth a look. I walked to Foxes marina today from the railway station (the route the rail replacement bus took from Peterborough was hysterical....).  Here is that stretch of river earlier today. DSC_9163.JPG.1d41087cd8f1e1cf05ff28a3ec18d5c8.JPG

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

There are lots  of houses in March with private moorings,  so getting a consent from the MLC must be possible. 

This may not be necessary, as many properties adjoining the Old River Nene have riparian rights and therefore no consent is necessary. Ours has.

5 hours ago, Athy said:

This may not be necessary, as many properties adjoining the Old River Nene have riparian rights and therefore no consent is necessary. Ours has.

Tne marina and moorings section here suggests that consent  is needed in all cases, even if you are the landowner. 

https://middlelevel.gov.uk/consents/

3 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Tne marina and moorings section here suggests that consent  is needed in all cases, even if you are the landowner. 

https://middlelevel.gov.uk/consents/

I don't think it says that. It appears to refer to the construction of new landing staged; this house already has one.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If I remember correctly there is a track between the actual houses and the waterfront in places in March

Yes, that track is West End. I think that in some places it goes between the houses and the river while in other places the houses' gardens go right down to the river.

Thanks for the local knowledge, really helpful. It would be my first home and I have no idea how to judge whether the price is reasonable etc, especially since the river frontage makes it quite incomparable with other houses for sale in March. I am worried about buying right now given the turbulence in the economy, apparently some banks are pulling mortgage products. and I think March might just be a bit far from civilisation for it to be a safe bet. There are a few other things that worry me, buying in the fenlands might be a risk for flooding in the future, it is very close to an A road so might be noisy, and it is an old house, with a weird layout, very low ceilings and probably terrible energy efficiency (band F) which is a bit worrying given the energy crisis. Altogether seems far too risky, but somehow I do still like it...

6 hours ago, jupiter1124 said:

Thanks for the local knowledge, really helpful. It would be my first home and I have no idea how to judge whether the price is reasonable etc, especially since the river frontage makes it quite incomparable with other houses for sale in March. I am worried about buying right now given the turbulence in the economy, apparently some banks are pulling mortgage products. and I think March might just be a bit far from civilisation for it to be a safe bet. There are a few other things that worry me, buying in the fenlands might be a risk for flooding in the future, it is very close to an A road so might be noisy, and it is an old house, with a weird layout, very low ceilings and probably terrible energy efficiency (band F) which is a bit worrying given the energy crisis. Altogether seems far too risky, but somehow I do still like it...

Houses like that are similar to boats in many respects. There are a million logical reasons not to buy them but they are fascinating and lovely to live in. Like boats, a weird layout, low ceilings, risk of flooding and and terrible energy efficiency add to the charm, rather than detract from it. 

The only thing wrong I can see with that house is the boring ordinary slate roof, instead of thatch! 

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Houses like that are similar to boats in many respects. There are a million logical reasons not to buy them but they are fascinating and lovely to live in. Like boats, a weird layout, low ceilings, risk of flooding and and terrible energy efficiency add to the charm, rather than detract from it. 

The only thing wrong I can see with that house is the boring ordinary slate roof, instead of thatch! 

Lucky it’s not thatch my neighour just been quoted 80000 for a rethatch and it’s not a very big house.