Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If you can afford a canalside property in Venice you can afford an FT subscription!

I meant the "few mill" for the property not the sub. 😛

I've often heard the phrase "it costs nowt to look", apparently this is not the case in this instance. ;) 

The Financial Times has loads of potential wage increases for their workers to meet their inflation busting demands, they also have energy costs and fuel costs to bear, but then Little Venice prices may be like certain restaurants that do not give meal costs on their menus. It is assumed that their customers can afford their meals and may that is the case with the Financial Times, it would seem 

It is not a recent concept, though, the early road carrier John Hargreaves (Senior) of Westhoughton used to charge customers what he believed they coud stand.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, David Mack said:

One that got away - sold at auction today.

490354?w=670

Cooper Bridge.

https://www.auctionhouse.co.uk/manchester/auction/lot/115224

Looks to me like Cooper Bridge Low Lock 16 - the location mark in the details is rather a way off.

As with many former lock cottages, one of the bigger challenges is a access, especially for construction work.

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Looks to me like Cooper Bridge Low Lock 16 - the location mark in the details is rather a way off.

As with many former lock cottages, one of the bigger challenges is a access, especially for construction work.

The location marker on the map is probably the postcode location. The cottage is at the downstream end of the lock cut. There is road access along the towpath (where there is a parking space). There is also a bridge across the lock tail wide enough for vehicles, although probably of limited weight capacity.

Anywhere this close to the river must also be at risk of flooding.

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

https://www.fineandcountry.com/property-sale/3-bedroom-detached-house-for-sale-in-staffordshire-alton-quixhill-lane/2654889

Two things. I reckon way overpriced.

The canal is not in water where it used to cross the Churnet.

Hmmmm... strikes me as worth well over £1m given the rural Hampshire location, regardless of the presence of a canal, in water or not.

Mind you only half an acre. They must be using one of them special estate agent lenses. 

36 minutes ago, MtB said:

Hmmmm... strikes me as worth well over £1m given the rural Hampshire location, regardless of the presence of a canal, in water or not.

Mind you only half an acre. They must be using one of them special estate agent lenses. 

It's much nearer the Stoke on Trent houses for a quid than 'Hampshire. ......

With regards to Coopers Bridge, Calder & Hebble Navigation

There is a listing, from 1978

Coopers Bridge Canal Cottage

Heritage Category:

Listed Building

Grade:

II

List Entry Number:

Date first listed:

29-Sep-1978

Statutory Address 1:

CALDER AND HEBBLE NAVIGATION LOCK KEEPERS COTTAGE AT COOPER BRIDGE LOCK

Statutory Address 2:

SIR JOHN RAMSDENS CANAL LOCK KEEPERS COTTAGE AT COOPER BRIDGE LOCK

The scope of legal protection for listed buildings

This List entry helps identify the building designated at this address for its special architectural or historic interest.

Unless the List entry states otherwise, it includes both the structure itself and any object or structure fixed to it (whether inside or outside) as well as any object or structure within the curtilage of the building.

For these purposes, to be included within the curtilage of the building, the object or structure must have formed part of the land since before 1st July 1948.

Statutory Address:

CALDER AND HEBBLE NAVIGATION LOCK KEEPERS COTTAGE AT COOPER BRIDGE LOCK

Statutory Address:

SIR JOHN RAMSDENS CANAL LOCK KEEPERS COTTAGE AT COOPER BRIDGE LOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:

Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish:

Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference:

SE 17597 20570

Details

CALDER AND HEBBLE NAVIGATION 1. 5113 SIR JOHN RAMSDEN'S CANAL Lock-Keeper's cottage at Cooper Bridge Lock SE 1720 13/292 II 2. Probably early or mid C19. Hammer-dressed stone. Pitched stone slate roof. 2 storeys. 3 ranges of sashes, some blocked windows.

Listing NGR: SE1759720570

The only question here is why Sir John Ramsdens Canal may be Pluto can explain

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Uttoxeter Canal (Alton Staffs). Plot in pink. You can still see Carringtons Lock.

Capture.JPG

278770547_176446808042302_4307236151299707084_n.jpg

278713584_176446751375641_8502780558742126087_n.jpg

Edited by mark99

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

The only question here is why Sir John Ramsdens Canal may be Pluto can explain

Because the cottage is at the lock where the canal commonly called the Huddersfield Broad Canal joins the C&H. The name of the canal when it was  built was Sir John Ramsden’s Canal. In the same way that the canal commonly called the Huddersfield Narrow Canal was the Huddersfield Canal when it was built, later the Huddersfield & Manchester Railway and Canal Company.

Sir John Ramsden was a major player in 18th century Huddersfield, commemorated in Ramsden Street among other places. I learned to swim at Ramsden Street baths.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Blimey that's one helluva bywash! 

I stand corrected. I was imagining Alton Hants and thinking the Basy or Wey must go past down in that direction...

Obviously not one for the fast rides at Alton Towers then MtB, which many people would think as the place near to where the property is  😁

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Obviously not one for the fast rides at Alton Towers then MtB, which many people would think as the place near to where the property is  😁

Depends. 

If someone said Alton to me, I would think of the Mid Hants Railway (or the fuel boat).

The Alton cottage (at Crumpwood end of Alton) was originally built as the weir keepers cottage in around 1810. The canal (Uttoxeter) opening ceremony was held at Crumpwood in September 1811. The images below are very close to the cottage. The only Uttoxeter Canal  bridge still in situ.

280682388_182674117419571_8167616302631334187_n.jpg

280953143_182674090752907_1099971452244136041_n.jpg

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Alton to me is the Grand Union motorboat which started the Narrow Boat Trust.

Aha, true, but what Alton did the name come from? It seems unclear looking at the names that the GCC motor boats were given as the names appear to an uninitiated me to be random cities towns urban areas and villages. Alton Towers was a significant mansion well before the rides came with notable gardens that are grade 1 listed  and nearish the canal so my hunch is from there? Was Nutfield named after Nutfield Priory or the village (Or neither...)? 

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Aha, true, but what Alton did the name come from? It seems unclear looking at the names that the GCC motor boats were given as the names appear to an uninitiated me to be random cities towns urban areas and villages. Alton Towers was a significant mansion well before the rides came with notable gardens that are grade 1 listed  and nearish the canal so my hunch is from there? Was Nutfield named after Nutfield Priory or the village (Or neither...)? 

Alton, Staffs also has an old castle built originally in the 12th Century. Plus it had the canal run through it.

Capture.JPG

Edited by mark99