Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, MtB said:

Yes Swindon on the Shroppie used to have an AMAZING chippie! Sold orange chips which were DELICIOUS. No idea why or how they were orange in colour. 

Gone now I think. Or turned in to something horrid selling UPF.

Last time I went through Swindon it was on the Staffs and Worcs.

17 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Last time I went through Swindon it was on the Staffs and Worcs.

Oh it might still be. I get them mixed up as they are both a long way from home, so must be near each other :D

• Haha 1

On 04/07/2022 at 21:53, MtB said:

Yes Swindon on the Shroppie used to have an AMAZING chippie! Sold orange chips which were DELICIOUS. No idea why or how they were orange in colour. 

Orange chips are a Black Country speciality, and Swindon in on the outskirts on the Black Country.  Another thing you find in that area sometimes is lightly battered chips.  They're not like fish batter, just a very light, thin batter which adds extra flavour and crunch to the chips.  Often the orange chips are also battered, but not always.

Edited by doratheexplorer

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Orange chips are a Black Country speciality, and Swindon in on the outskirts on the Black Country.  Another thing you find in that area sometimes is lightly battered chips.  They're not like fish batter, just a very light, thin batter which adds extra flavour and crunch to the chips.  Often the orange chips are also battered, but not always.

The chip shop next to the glasshouse cone on the Stourbridge canal sells battered chips 🙂

When I lived in Stourbridge in the 1970's we used to go to a chip shop in Stourport especially for their orange chips!

3 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

The chip shop next to the glasshouse cone on the Stourbridge canal sells battered chips 🙂

When I lived in Stourbridge in the 1970's we used to go to a chip shop in Stourport especially for their orange chips!

Also available in Tipton :)

7 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Also available in Tipton :)

Just in case anyone is wondering what they do to delicious healthy potato chips in the Black Country to make them orange...

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/how-make-your-black-country-18039073

https://www.halesowennews.co.uk/news/9661552.orange-chips-still-flavour-of-the-month-in-the-black-country/

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Just in case anyone is wondering what they do to delicious healthy potato chips in the Black Country to make them orange...

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/how-make-your-black-country-18039073

https://www.halesowennews.co.uk/news/9661552.orange-chips-still-flavour-of-the-month-in-the-black-country/

This is right but I've definitely seen orange chips sold with no batter, where they've just dyed them or dusted them with paprika.

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/07/2022 at 21:53, MtB said:

The chippy is perhaps the one in Swindon on the Staffs and Worcs, its called Mr Smiths and does the lightly battered chips which are excellent. Its about 100 yards up the hill from the canal.

38 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

The chippy is perhaps the one in Swindon on the Staffs and Worcs, its called Mr Smiths and does the lightly battered chips which are excellent. Its about 100 yards up the hill from the canal.

Yeah that's the one. That's where I let Starcoaster loose steering me bote by herself for the first time ever while I went for chips.

Honestly, I'd barely got 20 yards up the hill and my phone rang. Gone aground! 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/07/2022 at 12:11, MtB said:

Yeah that's the one. That's where I let Starcoaster loose steering me bote by herself for the first time ever while I went for chips.

Honestly, I'd barely got 20 yards up the hill and my phone rang. Gone aground! 

That's a name from the past. How is Starcoaster? Has she left the canals ,?  I enjoyed her posts on here. 

• Greenie 1

A sad sign of the times.  I would not wish to run a marina, seen too many problems for the owners of various marinas. But the prices are not too steep if the turnovers are factually correct.

There is currently demand for marinas but will this situation continue?  The crystal ball can't be trusted.  We are in an industry that is in a state of flux with many external pressures driving development and demand.  It could be at the top of a boom period.

The falling confidence in the controlling charity is  a damper on the cash generating capacity of the boating industry.

31 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Now that is one business I have had a desire to run for nye on 16+ years. (The Fenny Compton business).

Im a bit short of funds sadly. Seems a lot of money. In my view.

Probably a good thing.  A back of the envelope calculation of say 80 berths occupied returning £3k a year each suggests a gross income of only £240k. Once VAT and the 9% marina access fee are knocked off this only leaves £182k a year gross profit, out of which all the running costs, wages etc have to be paid. 

Sounds more like a hobby to me than a business! 

P.S. I moored there for a while and it is a very well-run operation.

P.P.S. Figures like this remind me of pubs for sale. People fall in love with the idea of owning a pub with no idea of actually how to run one, and end up horribly over-paying. Marinas I suspect are rather similar in this respect. 

P.P.P.S.  Best way to wring a handsome profit out of Fenny would be to fill it in and build a housing estate :) 

Edited by MtB

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Probably a good thing.  A back of the envelope calculation of say 80 berths occupied returning £3k a year each suggests a gross income of only £240k. Once VAT and the 9% marina access fee are knocked off this only leaves £182k a year gross profit, out of which all the running costs, wages etc have to be paid. 

P.P.S. Figures like this remind me of pubs for sale. People fall in love with the idea of owning a pub with no idea of actually how to run one, and end up horribly over-paying. Marinas I suspect are rather similar in this respect. 

P.P.P.S.  Best way to wring a handsome profit out of Fenny would be to fill it in and build a housing estate :) 

But the moorings are only a part of the potential exploitation.

there are fuel sales a small shop and a workshop. I think a hardstanding too.

If you look at stowe hill they seem to crane for survey ( and to get rid of widebeams) every few days.

Hard graft but with the surveys come the blacking the coc repairs etc etc, as long as you have a competent workforce.

There is also a house which might let good rent. 

2 hours ago, RAP said:

Snaygill must have suffered over the past couple of years with Covid and the sorry state of the Leeds and Liverpool canal. Loverly people too. Will anyone be interested at that price, profit margin and with so much uncertainty?

4 hours ago, MtB said:

As I mentioned. Seems a lot of money.

14 hours ago, MtB said:

It also comes with a house!