Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

Anyone fancy a project?

Hayton,  Chesterfield canal, current mooring - towpath side. Permission granted for demolition and rebuild or could be renovated. There's a large new barn/workshop behind the house,  and a decent sized piece of land that had to be bought to put an access drive to the nearby lane.

Best viewed on Google maps,  Church lane, Hayton nr Retford, It's the 2nd house from the bridge.

Will be going to auction soon  (Mark Jenkinson), but pm me if interested. 

20220225_174433.jpg

21 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Sometimes I wonder why people buy a canalside property!

4 bedroom detached house for sale in Strines Road, Marple, SK6 (rightmove.co.uk)

Mine was similar when I bought it. On the day we moved in I had a tree surgeon in to remove 21 conifers along the canal side edge of the garden.

I had to do that because we moved in on February 27th and the environmental report associated with my request to develop the mooring said the trees had to be removed before or after the bird nesting season (1st March to 31st August).

I had to provide CRT's Moorings Manager with dated photographs showing that the trees had been removed outside of the bird nesting season.

Edited by cuthound
To a a missing bracket

18 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Anyone fancy a project?

Hayton,  Chesterfield canal, current mooring - towpath side. Permission granted for demolition and rebuild or could be renovated. There's a large new barn/workshop behind the house,  and a decent sized piece of land that had to be bought to put an access drive to the nearby lane.

Best viewed on Google maps,  Church lane, Hayton nr Retford, It's the 2nd house from the bridge.

Will be going to auction soon  (Mark Jenkinson), but pm me if interested. 

20220225_174433.jpg

It has a mooring too!

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

It has bank side, yes, but this is in a SSSI, may be a problem?

Why would it be a problem? There was a boat moored on there for some years up until around 2 years ago. There are visitor moorings a short distance further along and a fairly short hop along to Clayworth there is Retford and Worksop Boat Club with online moorings that extend half a mile. These are all in a SSSI. It isn't a problem 

21 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Why would it be a problem? There was a boat moored on there for some years up until around 2 years ago. There are visitor moorings a short distance further along and a fairly short hop along to Clayworth there is Retford and Worksop Boat Club with online moorings that extend half a mile. These are all in a SSSI. It isn't a problem 

Good.

55 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The mooring is still being paid for although as Cheshire Rose says it hasn't had a boat on for a couple of years. 

You'll be aware that it's not the deepest canal but the previous boat was a 60' Dave Harris tug so it can't be too bad there.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Are there any bits of canal anywhere that aren't an SSSI?

Like proposed building plots. Its unusual to find one that isn't teeming with rare great crested newts! 

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Like proposed building plots. Its unusual to find one that isn't teeming with rare great crested newts! 

Interestingly the original mooring had to be constructed by CRT approved contractors using natural "green" techniques. 

When this later failed it was rebuilt using steel piling and used sleepers (we all know how green they are!) by the owner with no complaints. 

On 28/06/2022 at 10:53, MtB said:

The long haired Admiral tells me off for being a bit cynical about SSSIs, but it appears to me there's usually less flora and fauna in those hallowed stretches than is average for the cut. Perhaps it's an expectation management thing, but when I see SSSI's marked on the map I can't help but think "there'll be nowt there then"!

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

The long haired Admiral tells me off for being a bit cynical about SSSIs, but it appears to me there's usually less flora and fauna in those hallowed stretches than is average for the cut. Perhaps it's an expectation management thing, but when I see SSSI's marked on the map I can't help but think "there'll be nowt there then"!

You ignore the fact it may be an SSS1 because of one or two very rare plants/animals etc which you don't notice/recognise.

To give an example there is an inland salt spring near the canal.   The only one left in the whole of the UK.  Looking at it across from the canal you think "what's special about that its just a rough marshy field".

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, Jerra said:

You ignore the fact it may be an SSS1 because of one or two very rare plants/animals etc which you don't notice/recognise.

No, I don't ignore that fact - I absolutely recognise it. I did say in my tongue in cheek post that I was told off for being a bit cynical about SSSIs and did not claim it was wrong that I was. So, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying SSSIs are a bad thing, honest. 

Nevertheless, my tongue in cheek observation stands and your own example illustrates my point rather well, don't you think? Actually, it's probably good to highlight that the appearance of SSSIs might sometimes belie their true import. Maybe those responsible for the site ought to do this themselves with interpretation boards or the like?

Anyway, what do I know - I'm a bloke who thinks the Montgomery is one of the most overrated stretches of our network! I've seen more wildlife in a tramp's vest...  :icecream:

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

No, I don't ignore that fact - I absolutely recognise it. I did say in my tongue in cheek post that I was told off for being a bit cynical about SSSIs and did not claim it was wrong that I was. So, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying SSSIs are a bad thing, honest. 

Nevertheless, my tongue in cheek observation stands and your own example illustrates my point rather well, don't you think? Actually, it's probably good to highlight that the appearance of SSSIs might sometimes belie their true import. Maybe those responsible for the site ought to do this themselves with interpretation boards or the like?

Anyway, what do I know - I'm a bloke who thinks the Montgomery is one of the most overrated stretches of our network! I've seen more wildlife in a tramp's vest...  :icecream:

The only reason I found the salt spring reserve was for that very reason.  Checking on boards on the towpath I had never seen before.

On 28/06/2022 at 10:53, MtB said:

Perhaps somebody somewhere is breeding them, and for a suitable fee will deposit some on a development site just before the environmental survey...

On 03/07/2022 at 08:00, cuthound said:

Not sure whether to put this here or in the Battersea Power Station thread, so I've done both!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/122469551#/?channel=RES_BUY

Amazing.  Well I'm amazed at how dull and uninspired that is.  Reminds me of a modern characterless office interior.  And the roof terrace is just a small bit of decking.

If I had £18million I think I'd struggle to come up with something worse to spend it on.

Also, how does a 999 year lease work on a flat like this?  There's zero chance that Battersea Power Station will still be standing in the year 3021.  Long leases like this usually relate to the owneship of land.

On 03/07/2022 at 08:21, Sea Dog said:

The long haired Admiral tells me off for being a bit cynical about SSSIs, but it appears to me there's usually less flora and fauna in those hallowed stretches than is average for the cut. Perhaps it's an expectation management thing, but when I see SSSI's marked on the map I can't help but think "there'll be newt there then"!

Fixed that for you... 🤣😂

15 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

For a moment I thought that the Wilts and Berks restoration had come on a leap!  High Street Swindon:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/124398218?fbclid=IwAR1Rlt-0MMT1ojlpWF39c4mRRNILzNvKd415LcPnrxXDsp4dTMW84VxRewM&fs=e&s=cl#/?channel=RES_BUY

Yes Swindon on the Shroppie used to have an AMAZING chippie! Sold orange chips which were DELICIOUS. No idea why or how they were orange in colour. 

Gone now I think. Or turned in to something horrid selling UPF.