Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yeahbut.....

If one is a beer snob, sorry geek one knows to avoid Gloom Bar, Abbot etc.

Hophead and a selection of Salopian beers have appeared on the wickets at the local McSpoons here in Ryde, as has Holden's Golden Glow, which I'm convinced is Holden's take on Batham's Bitter.

And Landlord is best avoided anywhere but a TT tied house (it's a matter of how long a cask is cellered before being put up)

I've just returned home from there (coffee not beer for me at 09:30!) and as well as the usual suspects beers from these breweries was available: Peerless, Titanic, Goff's, a n other, can't remember, and Goddard's the local brewery.

What does get up my nose about Wetherspoons, apart from Mr Martin's politics, is their table service app. Introduced for lazy sods who are too idle to get off their lardy arses and wait at the bar in the proper, time honoured way.

We're not arguing about the Doom Bar plague (or worse still, Greene King IPA) or Landlord, which is why I said "up North" -- many pubs don't know how to keep (or serve) it properly, but there are some non-tied-TT ones who do, and some of them are even down here in Lunnon 😉

Like a lot of other pubs, Wetherspoon have a tendency to select stronger beers especially from smaller breweries, because they keep better especially with slow turnover. They often don't have or sell out of the kind of weaker hoppier beers I prefer which is one reason (among many) that I don't like 'spoons, but that's just my preference.

And before someone says "he doesn't know what he's talking about", see my avatar -- I spend plenty of time in pubs all over the country, in fact we're just about to get the train up to Sheffield for a weekend of dancing/playing/carousing which I know will involve a lot of delicious beers in many pubs there... 😉

(Shakespeare's, Kelham Island...)

Edited by IanD

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

Correct!

I can also claim to have only ever eaten one MacDonalds, back in the 70s when they first turned up here. It was disgusting! Never again.

Oh come now, how can something be disgusting when it has absolutely no flavour?

A McDonald's hamburger and a pint of Doombar must be the ultimate bland meal.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Correct!

I can also claim to have only ever eaten one MacDonalds, back in the 70s when they first turned up here. It was disgusting! Never again.

You're right about McDonalds.  I eat it about once every 5 years.  Typically I've stopped at the services on a long motorway journey.  It's late and that's all there is for hot food.  It takes about 5 years for me to forget how vile it is...

6 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I don't go to a pub to have highly biased and inaccurate political propaganda pushed at me via leaflets.  Whether I agree with the basic sentiments is irrelevant.  I wouldn't give my custom to any business which did this.

Back when I used to occassionally go in a Spoons, I remember the beer being decent but the food being absolutely dreadful (but cheap).

Had some quite nice, not restaurant standard but not restaurant price food in the one in March. Looking at the one in Lowestoft there are a lot of people who think its OK

Back on topic... bridgewater canal

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/waterside-properties-residential-for-sale/700749

leasehold by the looks, but long lease and 130' frontage (plus a house) for 325k

Rightmove link -- https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/85719276

or a freehold neighbour -- https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/85435854

Edited by Bacchus

10 hours ago, MtB said:

Correct!

I think that you will find that the food is now edible, though obviously not fine dining. I remember my first experience was as above.

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think that you will find that the food is now edible, though obviously not fine dining. I remember my first experience was as above.

Looking at the average customer in yer average MacDonalds and being possibly outrageously judgemental, I'm inclined to doubt that.

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Looking at the average customer in yer average MacDonalds and being possibly outrageously judgemental, I'm inclined to doubt that.

The toilets are clean.

I remember going to one of the first McDonalds in that there London in the late 70's. Have to say that compared to Wimpy and the burger van they were fan-flippin-tastic huge well cooked burgers that caused every burger outlet to up their game to compete. Since then however, they've got steadily worse until I agree they are almost inedible.

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Yet still a new one pops up every 10 minutes! Perhaps we're not the target audience?

Correct. Chavs are the target customer, the only class of people in the UK with a birth rate higher than the replacement rate of 2.3.

Judgemental? Moi?

We go past this often, looks to me like they have a done a nice job of the renovation/modernisation, both inside and out. The lock is a bit of a dog poo blackspot but otherwise pleasant. The garden is small and the house backs right on to a couple of factories/industrial units (as is the nature of the Calder Valley). The industrial unit is a metal fabricator so maybe a bit noisy in the daytime?. I will be interested to see what the price is, despite its disadvantages its quite desirable, fairly easy walk along the towpath right into Todmorden. The off road parking is a wide bit of the towpath. There was talk of historic mooring rights (on the towpath side) but dunno if this was just wishfull thinking by a previous owner.

13 minutes ago, MtB said:

They are probably paranoid about the flood risk! 

(Canal is behind the hedge, for those who didn't click the link.)

image.png.3fae1f25b5b011c5a172a402598eccdc.png

Can understand it if it is towpath side