Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

So after many years and many owners somebody has finally done the restoration. I think CRT (or was it BW?) auctioned it for about £100k so somebody stands to make a good profit.

I always thought it had no vehicle access so maybe the owner has finally gained a right of access to make it more viable.

10 minutes ago, dmr said:

I always thought it had no vehicle access so maybe the owner has finally gained a right of access to make it more viable.

"In order to reach the house by car, it is necessary to cross a ford; a 4WD drive vehicle will be necessary. There is pedestrian access via a footbridge. A new track leads to a parking area for several cars."

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

"In order to reach the house by car, it is necessary to cross a ford; a 4WD drive vehicle will be necessary. There is pedestrian access via a footbridge. A new track leads to a parking area for several cars."

Yes I saw that, but even a ford is better than no access at all. I don't think its very deep, I think I remember my dog crossing it and as a wimpy lurcher so does not go out of her depth. The new track to the parking area does suggest that something has changed. Maybe the asking price reflects what they had to pay a neighbour to gain the access. There is still (I think) a plan to build a marina very close by, another project that has rumbled on for years and years.

On 10/02/2022 at 14:54, CIEL said:

What does the panel think to this one then?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/119532989#/?channel=RES_BUY

Be aware that as I type this I am sitting behind the small dormer window.

So be kind with the comments.

NB Ciel is 36ft/11m long so the pontoon is 10m and articulated to allow for the rise and fall of the river level.

Chris

Someone on that development actually owns a boat!

It's a nice walk into town and convenient for Tesco. :D Always thought it was a bit odd that after all that effort to dig out a basin there, hardly anyone used it (no subletting moorings?) whilst the river's lined with yoghurt pots.

I guess when you sell, another pontoon will be free.

-----

This one's a good location, especially if you like collecting Hebble spikes 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/118972049#/?channel=RES_BUY

Could maybe use a redecorate.

Edited by enigmatic

28 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

This one's a good location, especially if you like collecting Hebble spikes 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/118972049#/?channel=RES_BUY

Could maybe use a redecorate.

And don't mind the aroma that comes from being located between two sewage treatment plants. Known locally as the 'smelly mile'.

• Greenie 1

On 11/02/2022 at 17:50, enigmatic said:

Someone on that development actually owns a boat!

It's a nice walk into town and convenient for Tesco. :D Always thought it was a bit odd that after all that effort to dig out a basin there, hardly anyone used it (no subletting moorings?) whilst the river's lined with yoghurt pots.

I guess when you sell, another pontoon will be free.

Under offer after just ten days - we obviously didn't ask for enough!

That pontoon will become free but we will occupy another  just three along.

We are hoping to buy one of the 2 bed ground floor flats in the same block. Price agreed and no estate agents!

When we moved in, back in 2006, our little 25' Spirecraft was the fourth NB in the marina.  We upgraded to the 36' the following year.  We have been the solitary NB for the last eight years.  Two of them had to go as fallout from divorce and the other went in part Ex for a motorhome. The overall number of berths taken have remained fairly static at about twenty of the 73 available.  The lease says you must own the boat, but it has never been enforced.  The Resident Directors would rather see boats on the pontoons than worry about whether the leaseholder owns it.

We do enforce no residential boats though as there are no facilities.

Chris

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

I remember that cottage when it comprised just the barrel-roofed original with a small lean-to extension. The original part had a living room/kitchen at the front and a small bedroom behind. There was no road access.

It was occupied by an elderly lady, who had lived most of her life in India, and by the time we met her appeared to be in the early stages of dementia, but interesting to talk to as we worked through the lock.

After she died or moved away the house was empty for some time and got vandalised. Then the first of the mammoth extensions appeared.☹️

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Can not believe that it was not a listed building. How did the planners allow that carbuncle to be put there. 

The aqueduct is listed:

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1382094?section=official-list-entry

But the cottage isn't. The aqueduct was only listed in 1990, by which time much of the damage to the cottage had already been done.

• 3 weeks later...