Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

There was usually a 70' ex BWB boat moored alongside, not there now. Surprising because the lock pound is the winding.

I have winded 70' there with the boat on its mooring, just, with the fenders up.

Its the only one for a fair way. Next is up the locks at the boatyard.

I would expect it to achieve substantially more than the estimate at auction.

Yes, we would wind there coming up from Middlewich and eat at the Italian by the services at Wheelock before heading back

55 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

And no end-of-garden mooring fee to pay either!

Although if you can afford to pay £5.25m, you may not be too bothered about that.

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have always liked the look of that as we passed

Fuelboat Halsall has a sad postscript to this, yet another sale of canal heritage. Can't be much left now but this makes the sale even sadder: So sad to see this lock cottage up for sale. The tenant was a very knowledgeable & hardworking & helpful member of CRT staff & British Waterways for many years He delayed his retirement & did numerous additional tasks outside his main role, including monitoring water levels locally & keeping the workboats in his care in great condition. He would have been looking forward to spending his retirement with his family in their home beside the cut, but like in so many similar situations all CRT see is pound notes, not the loyalty, pride & care off their long serving staff on the ground 😭

• Angry 1

10 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Old mills/warehouses are often not well suited (for developers) to carving into flats due to the floor layout and ceiling height. Often you’ll find mysterious fires tear through these neglected buildings forcing them to be demolished, especially if planning has been refused previously.

From what i’ve seen on the Book of Face, allegedly divers had been used to assess the foundations and found they were knackered and so it will be demolished :( 

Quelle surprise! who'd'a thought it??! 

Hardly an architectural pearl worth the effort of saving though, Shirley?

4 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Far canal!!

7 hours ago, wandering snail said:

CRT just can't stop themselves, can they. 

They probably see it as "win-win". They get the money from the sale and no longer have to maintain the properties.

Looked at from an accountant's perspective they're not wrong. However, I have heard accountants described as people who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

They probably see it as "win-win". They get the money from the sale and no longer have to maintain the properties.

Looked at from an accountant's perspective they're not wrong. However, I have heard accountants described as people who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

I also suspect your guess is correct so that, in effect, boaters (and others) are subsidising the tenants. If you asked boaters whether a chunk of their licence fee should go to tenants I wonder how many would be all that keen?

Just depends on how you look at these things.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

I also suspect your guess is correct so that, in effect, boaters (and others) are subsidising the tenants. If you asked boaters whether a chunk of their licence fee should go to tenants I wonder how many would be all that keen?

Just depends on how you look at these things.

Surely if the tenants are canal workers then that would be seen as OK. 

For me the bottom line is that, when CRT took over from BW, they agreed to: "protect and conserve for public benefit sites, objects and buildings of archaeological, architectural, engineering or historic interest on, in the vicinity of, or otherwise associated with Inland Waterways".     It is after all the UK's unique heritage, a historic canal system not found anywhere else in the world and as such is supposed to be protected from this never ending pillage. Sadly the Protector and the trustees turn a very blind eye.

I agree that CRT should be looking after these buildings rather than selling them off.  Sale of each building loses the rental income as well as the maintenance cost, but must also save on the CRT staff cost of managing leases,setting and collecting rents.  In some cases, their leases require the tenant to maintain the building.  I think tenant responsibility for maintenance was in the Braunston Stop House advert.

5 hours ago, Tonka said:

Surely if the tenants are canal workers then that would be seen as OK. 

Depends. If the benefit of having a worker living on site is greater than the subsidy, OK. Otherwise, I remain unconvinced that CaRT is in a position to be a provider of social housing.

• Greenie 1

That's quite handsome, even if the current interior decor doesn't show it at its best.

Is the M, B & B Canal under restoration? I see that it appears to be in water beside the house but that the lock a little way further on is dry.

We're used to flowery, hyperbolic descriptions from estate agents, but this one just about takes the biscuit. Its writer must have visited one of the "number of public houses" before composing it.

32 minutes ago, Athy said:

That's quite handsome, even if the current interior decor doesn't show it at its best.

Yes. I find myself imagining a scene....

Wife, arriving home with paint colour chart from Homebase. "Darling, let's choose a lovely new colour to paint the whole of the inside of the house."

Husband: "Ooh yes, let's. Look, I really like this dull grey paint on the chart, about the same shade as old ash from the stove. Much nicer than all these cheerful yellows, blues and reds...."

Wife "YES that will look LOVELY, let's do it!" 

Edited by MtB
Fiddle with it...
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Wife, arriving home with paint colour chart from Homebase. "Darling, let's choose a lovely new colour to paint the whole of the inside of the house."

Husband: "Ooh yes, let's. Look, I really like this dull grey paint on the chart, about the same shade as old ash from the stove. Much nicer than all these cheerful yellows, blues and reds...."

The knocker on the door is worth £100k

:)

55 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

The knocker on the door is worth £100k

:)

I'll sell it to you for £50k, then you can flog it on for £100k and we both make a tidy profit, yes? 

You can do a bank transfer now if you like....

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, MtB said:

paint.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1