Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

Nice locations, both. The thing that strikes me about both is how unsympathetically each has been renovated. All the personality that must have existed in both those historic buildings has been completely ignored then ironed out, with ultra modern interiors installed. I suppose it 'adds value' but I can't imagine anyone with any interest in or understanding of canals buying either. Especially not the London one.

• Greenie 1

The Huddersfield house has considerable appeal (which may be the first time this year that "Huddersfield" and "considerable appeal" have appeared in the same sentence). But the boring, antiseptic interior paint job does it no favours at all. "Blank canvas", blah blah blah......

4 hours ago, Athy said:

The Huddersfield house has considerable appeal (which may be the first time this year that "Huddersfield" and "considerable appeal" have appeared in the same sentence). But the boring, antiseptic interior paint job does it no favours at all. "Blank canvas", blah blah blah......

plus the prospect of flooding when the Calder overtops the lock

13 minutes ago, Midnight said:

plus the prospect of flooding when the Calder overtops the lock

Probably no worse than any other property in the area, maybe even better; there's a weir in the Calder just downstream where the river level drops and the banks there are lower than the level of the lock and house...

48 minutes ago, IanD said:

Probably no worse than any other property in the area, maybe even better; there's a weir in the Calder just downstream where the river level drops and the banks there are lower than the level of the lock and house...

When your property floods I don't think anyone would worry about what was happening to other properties in the vicinity.

Just now, Midnight said:

When your property floods I don't think anyone would worry about what was happening to other properties in the vicinity.

It just doesn't look like that property will flood, given its location and elevation relative to the canal and river. If the river breaks its banks the water will go elsewhere, going by photos and maps.

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

It just doesn't look like that property will flood, given its location and elevation relative to the canal and river. If the river breaks its banks the water will go elsewhere, going by photos and maps.

I'm going by knowing the location and the fact that the 2020 flood below Heaton Lodge was 11" higher than the previous record of Boxing day 2015 and trickling over the flood gates at Battyeford. Following the construction of the flood defences upstream the water now gets pushed downstream faster causing bigger floods below Brighouse especially when the Colne is also breaking records. If you have superior knowledge (and no doubt you will have) that future flooding will never reach current records I will agree with you. 

17 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I'm going by knowing the location and the fact that the 2020 flood below Heaton Lodge was 11" higher than the previous record of Boxing day 2015 and trickling over the flood gates at Battyeford. Following the construction of the flood defences upstream the water now gets pushed downstream faster causing bigger floods below Brighouse especially when the Colne is also breaking records. If you have superior knowledge (and no doubt you will have) that future flooding will never reach current records I will agree with you. 

I don't claim any superior knowledge, I just looked at the photos and maps. If you know better about that particular house flooding -- for which I'm sure there would be records, and if it had flooded in 2020 it wouldn't be in the state it is, and would be almost impossible to insure, and this would have to be mentioned in the details, so I suspect it didn't happen -- then I bow to your greater knowledge 😉

So tell us -- did it flood in record-breaking 2020?

If not, the odds of it flooding in future must be somewhere between negligible and zero...

Edited by IanD

The Hudds house is a nice property, they’ve done very well in the pics to make the best of it’s location.

What it doesn't convey is the rest of the surroundings beyond the hedges and water, namely industrial units and water treatment works AND its slap next to the foot of Leeds Rd. which is never quiet.

2 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

The Hudds house is a nice property, they’ve done very well in the pics to make the best of it’s location.

What it doesn't convey is the rest of the surroundings beyond the hedges and water, namely industrial units and water treatment works AND its slap next to the foot of Leeds Rd. which is never quiet.

White Cross is nobbut a cockstride away, though...

Edited by IanD

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

And they are about to embark on a highway 'improvement' scheme on Leeds Road just there.

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Don't forget it's in a good position if you like fried chicken 😁

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Yes, having done some walking on the canal around here I know those surroundings.

Am I also correct in seeing some bloody great HT electrical lines passing almost overhead? The non-ionising radiation from those percolating every room would not be audible like the traffic noise, but poses a health risk, even more so for young children.

3 hours ago, IanD said:

White Cross is nobbut a cockstride away, though...

Never been in. Grandad supped in Colnebridge WMC, whom he bowled for, so only ever had pop & non-salted crisps there by the bowling green. By the time i was old enough to drink he’d sadly gone.

1 hour ago, Jon57 said:

Don't forget it's in a good position if you like fried chicken 😁

Marstons isn’t as good as it used to be, Ashby’s in Slawit near the ALDI is where it’s at ;) 

19 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Yes, having done some walking on the canal around here I know those surroundings.

Am I also correct in seeing some bloody great HT electrical lines passing almost overhead? The non-ionising radiation from those percolating every room would not be audible like the traffic noise, but poses a health risk, even more so for young children.

yeah, those cables would be a showstopper for me too. Shame, it looks like an oasis of loveliness otherwise, with plenty of space for old cars and broken motorbikes for what - to a Southerner - looks like a reasonable price.

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Never been in. Grandad supped in Colnebridge WMC, whom he bowled for, so only ever had pop & non-salted crisps there by the bowling green. By the time i was old enough to drink he’d sadly gone.

Marstons isn’t as good as it used to be, Ashby’s in Slawit near the ALDI is where it’s at ;) 

Ye but it will take 2 day's by boat 🤣

50 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Let's not get into a heated argument about something there is no evidence for and lots of scientific reasons against, eh? Enough of that on some other forum threads... 😉

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

You've missed a treat. Regrettably when the new road scheme happens the White Cross will disappear, Goodbye to great beer, finest Sunday lunches and a landlord from heaven. Some things in life are not fair.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Puffling said:

...said the man using language massively likely to provoke arguments.

Or you could read the evidence...

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

I will just leave this article from Wireless World in 1990 here its worth a read.

Wireless-World-1990-02_.pdf 2.08 MB · 4 downloads

...not one paper in a popular science magazine from 30 years ago.

There has been a lot more research conducted since then, and most of the scare stories have been thoroughly debunked. There is some weak and inconclusive evidence of increased cancer risk, which has been attributed not to EM radiation as such -- for which there is *absolutely no* evidence of harm, just like for 5G -- but possible to focusing of cosmic rays by the power-line currents. Again, there is no good scientific justification for this, or any solid evidence.

If you choose to believe otherwise then that's up to you, but opinions and beliefs are not of equal weight to facts...

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

You've missed a treat. Regrettably when the new road scheme happens the White Cross will disappear, Goodbye to great beer, finest Sunday lunches and a landlord from heaven. Some things in life are not fair.

That's a shame, when we visited I thought it was a very good pub 😞