Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, jetzi said:

Something doesn't add up!

Private mooring you say? Ad says niwt about mooring. Given that its on the towpath and the house only looks 10' wide im skeptical you'd get an end of garden mooring on that?

The price is unbelievably low though. It does say "guide price", perhaps it is being auctioned for much higher as usual (though it doesn't say that either).

Guide prices are reckoned to be 90% of the reserve price, but it's usually crap. You can find properties being advertised with a £19,000 guide price - selling for well over £100,000. The dealers just want to generate interest in the property. The guide price being stated for the canal property is quite high, so the difference between that and the sale price won't be as high a difference as in the example used. 

Edited by Higgs

On 17/11/2021 at 08:09, MtB said:

Rental income £660 per month. Sale price £303k.

Gross yield 2.6%, but in reality much worse than that once maintenance costs, administration and void costs are loaded into the calc. 

Another sound commercial decision by CRT estate managers to dispose of it. 

Here is a list of what CRT have disposed of recently  IR 20 21 Listed Buildings Sold.xlsx (whatdotheyknow.com)

7 minutes ago, Uxter said:

Intriguing; but 12 double rooms and only one bathroom and one kitchen? I can imagine long queues forming. I wonder at whom it is aimed? Perhaps young people working on short-term contracts in London?

I do hope that "Vendor owes the mooring" is a typo.

1 hour ago, Uxter said:

Possibly something to do with this...  https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/slumboat-returns-thames-molesey-after-13653358

52 minutes ago, Athy said:

I do hope that "Vendor owes the mooring" is a typo.

I suspect not...

Edited by Bacchus

11 minutes ago, Uxter said:

Nice house, no space for mooring at end of garden, I wonder if you could cut a channel in back yard lawn to reverse boat into.

https://www.boomin.com/property-for-sale/property-details/zh4Yc9LVKL5BbF5YMc6zmXfD?utm_source=Lifull-connect&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Buy 

Looks like there's a mooring space to me.

12 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Looks like there's a mooring space to me.

The back yard has length but not width, It will depend on the length of your of your boat, how friendly you are with your neighbours and CRT, if you wanted to moor at the end of the garden.

image.png.3b20af73e93ffd1a3ed1897c03bc35af.png

23 minutes ago, Uxter said:

The back yard has length but not width, It will depend on the length of your of your boat, how friendly you are with your neighbours and CRT, if you wanted to moor at the end of the garden.

Are EoG moorings allowed if the boat isn't all within your property?

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

You may want to read this "Who owns the non tow path canal bank?" on Canal World. CRT own the canal bank, but your neighbours may not want to see your 60' boat at the end of there garden.

2 hours ago, Uxter said:

Nice house, no space for mooring at end of garden, I wonder if you could cut a channel in back yard lawn to reverse boat into.

It's a fairly handsome, though smallish (note estate agent-speak "cosy" for the lounge) property. The blurb neither confirms nor denies mooring rights; it looks as if you could park a 25-footer or so there.

I also like the estate agent-speak "Space saving staircase" to the attic. Er, most people call it a ladder.

1 hour ago, Uxter said:

I didn't say it was a big mooring space but a small boat would moor there.  I've seen plenty of small boats moored at the end of a terraced garden.

53 minutes ago, Uxter said:

Weather CRT own or do not own the land at the bottom of your garden, you still need there permission to moor and to pay them for the privilege.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/moorings/mooring-faqs

Again that's not strictly true.

As an example  I think you will find  that the moorings above Batchworth lock on the GU are OSM free and have been for years.

There are many places over the system that have rights to mooring on the offside and there is very little cart can do about it.

It is normally where there is or was an historic wharf.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Again that's not strictly true.

As an example  I think you will find  that the moorings above Batchworth lock on the GU are OSM free and have been for years.

There are many places over the system that have rights to mooring on the offside and there is very little cart can do about it.

It is normally where there is or was an historic wharf.

Mike Ballinger, former moorings warden at Cropredy (and, I think, the grandson of a canal carrier) used to reckon that there were historic offside mooring rights on the Oxford Canal, though whether on all of it or just bits of it I don't know.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

No they don't

At least not everywhere, they claim they do but it's a lie.

They do in this case:

"Note: As is typical with homes that back on to the canal on the road, the current owner pays The River and Canal Trust an annual payment of £215.64 to rent the bottom of the garden (from the lawn tot he canal). A new owner will need to renew this license agreement."

3 hours ago, Jerra said:

Not on the K&A:

"Exception for the Kennet & Avon Canal
On the Kennet & Avon Canal we will not permit the creation of any further offside moorings against private property. This 
underlines our commitment to delivering the policies within the Kennet & Avon Canal Conservation Plan. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/39940-online-mooring-policy-2019.pdf

Edited by David Mack

5 minutes ago, Uxter said:

Room for one in the kitchen and picturesque view of Hawkesbury junction toilets.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/60366885/?search_identifier=834c5b5b856624af8579d45a6a0c989d

But you would never have to visit the tip as there is some handy bins just across the road you can put all your waste in..............

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Uxter said:

Room for one in the kitchen and picturesque view of Hawkesbury junction toilets.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/60366885/?search_identifier=834c5b5b856624af8579d45a6a0c989d

The floor plan lists a study but no bathroom.  The description implies that the bathroom is actually the study, or vice versa.  Either way, it's a room with no windows or natural ventilation so pretty unpleasant as either a study or a bathroom.