Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

On 08/12/2021 at 20:38, MtB said:

An ordinary three bed terrace around here is about £350k, so the asking price of £400k means £50k for the front door opening onto the towpath.

And yes Newbury is a nice, pleasant place to live.

My abiding memories of Newbury are permanently gridlocked roads.  Maybe I was unlucky whenever I've been there?

Pre-Bypass Newbury could be a PITA, but generally was not, on the A34 at least.  The traffic system was set up to facilitate the A34 North to East or West on the A4 and for the A34 North South.

A34 South to A4 East West was more difficult. The pain fell on the local roads.

Post bypass the priorities, road layouts etc. have been changed.  Now all roads are local!

N

15 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Pre-Bypass Newbury could be a PITA, but generally was not, on the A34 at least.  The traffic system was set up to facilitate the A34 North to East or West on the A4 and for the A34 North South.

A34 South to A4 East West was more difficult. The pain fell on the local roads.

Post bypass the priorities, road layouts etc. have been changed.  Now all roads are local!

N

EX9dm4ZX0AIB3Nr.jpg

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

My abiding memories of Newbury are permanently gridlocked roads.  Maybe I was unlucky whenever I've been there?

Yes definitely, I sometimes spend days on end getting home. Best not to buy that house. You'll never get there.

17 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Even by estate agent standards, calling that shed a 3 bedroom property is pushing it 🤣

Lol yes, three bedrooms but you have to build it yourself!! 

Mind you, £295k for half an acre right there strikes me as a screaming bargain. But oh hang on, once again it is a "Guide Price" not a selling price. 

Edited by MtB

45 minutes ago, MtB said:

Lol yes, three bedrooms but you have to build it yourself!! 

Mind you, £295k for half an acre right there strikes me as a screaming bargain.

I would want to know whether all the 0.5 acre is authorized for residential use.

1 hour ago, Uxter said:

Decor needs TLC inside, but it has private mooring, pub next door and astro turf in back garden what more could you want.

https://www.propertypigeon.co.uk/property-search/doncaster/dn7-1732012rcd_50e7689335dd5a7?utm_source=Lifull-connect&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=premium

£70k???!!

Is there a "3" missing off the front of that price?

What's the catch? 

1 hour ago, Uxter said:

Decor needs TLC inside, but it has private mooring, pub next door and astro turf in back garden what more could you want.

https://www.propertypigeon.co.uk/property-search/doncaster/dn7-1732012rcd_50e7689335dd5a7?utm_source=Lifull-connect&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=premium

Private mooring, it is on the towpath.  We moored overnight there a couple of years ago, the pub was seriously cheap for very good food.

Something doesn't add up!

Private mooring you say? Ad says niwt about mooring. Given that its on the towpath and the house only looks 10' wide im skeptical you'd get an end of garden mooring on that?

The price is unbelievably low though. It does say "guide price", perhaps it is being auctioned for much higher as usual (though it doesn't say that either).

41 minutes ago, jetzi said:

Fascinating maybe im just looking too far south. Even given its distance from London the price seems low considering that prices everywhere have rocketed since the pandemic. Is the area rough?

Most Stainforth postcodes are medium flood risk, with some high, and low flood risk postcodes.

https://www.getthedata.com/flood-map/stainforth

Otherwise, not as far as I'm aware.

1 hour ago, jetzi said:

Fascinating maybe im just looking too far south. Even given its distance from London the price seems low considering that prices everywhere have rocketed since the pandemic. Is the area rough?

Not really, its partly unfashionable places and just a relatively long distance from high wage employment , London and other wealthy cities.  Perhaps not surprising therefore that  wage rates are lower, we see this a bit with boat repair costs between the North and South. I would equate Doncaster perhaps to its railway manufacturing counterpart in Swindon which is possibly rougher and definitely ridiculously overpriced housing wise. 

If you want French polishing/ curtain making other manual jobs transport things up that way, you will save much on any substantial job. We saved well over £700 just on some curtain fabrications (Swags tails,....SWMBO planned ones) 

4 hours ago, jetzi said:

Something doesn't add up!

Private mooring you say? Ad says niwt about mooring. Given that its on the towpath and the house only looks 10' wide im skeptical you'd get an end of garden mooring on that?

The price is unbelievably low though. It does say "guide price", perhaps it is being auctioned for much higher as usual (though it doesn't say that either).

They may have rented the towpath mooring from CRT, That does happen in some places