Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yes. Although as the brand leader its name is probably used more generically for metal framed windows, in the same way as "Hoover" is used to describe other brands of vacuum cleaner.

Great minds. I was thinking of "Hoover" as I typed.

26 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yes. Although as the brand leader its name is probably used more generically for metal framed windows, in the same way as "Hoover" is used to describe other brands of vacuum cleaner.

Strictly speaking the Name was Crittal Hope from Essex. They became well known after WW2 because wood was in short supply and the windows were fitted in nearly  every new house. They were really terrible and in the new house we moved to in 1949 the condensation upstairs was tremendous and in winter there was ice inside. They were also dangerous and my younger brother managed to run into the corner of an open one 

whilst playing outside. Cut his head open and spent night in hospital, as it happened I was in there with a broken elbow and had been kept in. The sister came and said we’ve got your brother downstairs!

Edited by Dav and Pen
Spelling what else

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

Big money the area must we well to do ? 

An ordinary three bed terrace around here is about £350k, so the asking price of £400k means £50k for the front door opening onto the towpath.

And yes Newbury is a nice, pleasant place to live.

23 hours ago, MtB said:

An ordinary three bed terrace around here is about £350k, so the asking price of £400k means £50k for the front door opening onto the towpath.

And yes Newbury is a nice, pleasant place to live.

Seems cheap, when I was looking to buy a canalaide property, several estate agents, in different parts of the country, suggested a 25% price uplift against an identical but non- canalaide property.

9 hours ago, cuthound said:

Seems cheap, when I was looking to buy a canalaide property, several estate agents, in different parts of the country, suggested a 25% price uplift against an identical but non- canalaide property.

I think a 25% premium for private canal water offside frontage (like your place) would be a bit low around here, but that's not what this property has from looking at the photo.

This house has the public towpath between it and the water's edge. And (presumably) does not own either the towpath or the waterfront or have any potential for mooring rights.

Also appears to have no parking or even any road access.