Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

Indeed that is the case, however, the orange barrage currently blocks upstream passage, and downstream is the large wier.

Google maps shows this clearly. This property, and others downstream, have river frontage, but cut off by the string of orange sausages. Do their riparian rights entitle them to require CRT to provide a passage through/round the sausages? A few years ago weir stream entries like this would have been protected by nothing more than the odd pile with a "All craft keep right" sign, allowing boaters access to the frontages.

Screenshot_20211108-112910_Maps.jpg.08f8460f0eb1ba6aefdbb88fad2115a8.jpg

14 minutes ago, john.k said:

Quick question....is there VAT on house and land in UK........what other taxes might someone from Oz have to pay?.....and ,no ...a gaff like that would have too many stairs.

No VAT as such, but there is stamp duty which scales with the value of the house being purchased:

https://www.gov.uk/stamp-duty-land-tax

Some of its features, both inside and out, remind me of one of the schools I taught in, a building which dated back to 1624. It would make a pleasant if perhaps small, prep school, with outdoor activities such as tennis and canoeing for the boarders.

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And capital gains tax when you sell it if it is not your main residence. How that pans out for someone who maintains another residence overseas I have no idea. If that is you I would suggest getting some proper tax advice.

Apparently some manage to avoid stamp duty even if UK residents. 

https://inews.co.uk/news/stamp-duty-property-tax-government-tony-blair-cherie-russian-billionaires-avoid-1241792

IIRC capital gains tax  wasnt payable by overseas inhabitants, Im not so sure now, though as per above I imagine there's many legal loopholes. Its possibly one factor in London house prices, its been a draw for foreign investments for many years and has yielded much money for the economy on the back of it. Big issue moving forewords of course- apologies if approaching  the lower section of the forum discussion. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Some of its features, both inside and out, remind me of one of the schools I taught in, a building which dated back to 1624. It would make a pleasant if perhaps small, prep school, with outdoor activities such as tennis and canoeing for the boarders.

Along with Pooley Hall that house has always been on our "if we ever had the money" list.

It's a pleasant surprise to see the inside has retained some of it's features,  such as the fantastic Eagle cooking range. Far too many places that look so interesting from afar are a disappointment inside. 

• Greenie 1

On 20/10/2021 at 09:07, David Mack said:

It's up for auction. That's a guide price, so will probably go for more.

It's St Pancras Basin that you see leaving St Pancras, and is indeed right alongside that house. Battlebridge Basin is near King's Cross, but not visible from the train.

I believe that the St Pancras Lock cottage went for £805,000

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tuscan said:

Another 2 listed buildings sold, not much left

I don't see the problem with this.  The building is still there and is still listed so won't change much without permission. 

What difference does it make who owns it?  Apart from CRT not having to pay to maintain it, obviously.

2 hours ago, Tacet said:

Can't have done.  MtB says that property always achieves at least twice the reserve. 

Anyway, the hammer price was £809,000.

Surely it needs to be remembered that the reserve price is the price the vendor won't sell below and generally it isn't public knowledge, so it may have made twice the reserve price.

12 hours ago, Jerra said:

Surely it needs to be remembered that the reserve price is the price the vendor won't sell below and generally it isn't public knowledge, so it may have made twice the reserve price.

With property auctions the reserve generally has to be within 10% of the guide price - just sold my late mother's house via auction and it was a juggling act to get the guide right in relation to the reserve we'd set and we had to adjust our reserve downwards slightly to get the right guide price set, so it should be possible to work it out approximately.

Edited by gatekrash

1 hour ago, gatekrash said:

With property auctions the reserve generally has to be within 10% of the guide price - just sold my late mother's house via auction and it was a juggling act to get the guide right in relation to the reserve we'd set and we had to adjust our reserve downwards slightly to get the right guide price set, so it should be possible to work it out approximately.

2 Price Guides

The reserve price is the sellers minimum acceptable price at auction and the figure below which the auctioneer cannot sell, The reserve price, which may be up to 10% higher than the guide price, is not disclosed and remains confidential between the seller and the auctioneer.

8 hours ago, RAP said:

Rental income £660 per month. Sale price £303k.

Gross yield 2.6%, but in reality much worse than that once maintenance costs, administration and void costs are loaded into the calc. 

Another sound commercial decision by CRT estate managers to dispose of it. 

• Greenie 1