Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

51 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Something you might not realise though is not everybody can afford to spend 15 quid each on a burger and a few fries (served on a slate!) if they want to treat the family and take them out for a bite to eat.

Yes they would probably wish they could spend more in some flash London pub but unfortunately they just cannot afford to (when they can get nearly three equivalent meals for the same price).

Why do people think that food served on a slate is posh. Have you ever looked at a slate under a microscope and seen all the pores that can contain dirt and germs.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

“Shot in the head in Angola, left for dead, now a Wetherspoons star “

From there, he did another English course at Croydon College, before starting catering qualifications.

He wanted a job - "I can't be depending on government, I don't work that way" - and, via the job centre, learned of vacancies at the Richmal Crompton pub, part of the Wetherspoons chain, in nearby Bromley. But it's fair to say he wasn't familiar with the chain's cheap-and-cheerful culinary style.

"I had taken my chef's set in a case - knives and so on," Cesar says. "The woman who interviewed me said: 'What's that?' I told her it was my chef's set and she started laughing. I didn't understand why.

"She took me into the kitchen and said - 'Look, that's our kitchen'. It was a microwave, a fryer. At first I was shocked! But then I thought - I am fine, I will do it."

Cracking selective quotation….have you ever looked in a hotel kitchen…or indeed any other pub chain…..but you carry on….

Just to be clear, I don't think anyone is saying that there *shouldn't* be cheap places to eat or drink like McDonalds or Wetherspoons.

But people shouldn't be under any illusion about *why* they're cheap, it's because they cut costs and quality by centralised administration, buying and food preparation and cutting down on ingredient quality, staff numbers (and chefs!) and wages -- the service in 'spoons is often terrible, and the staff don't give a sh*t because that's what they're treated like.

One consequence in Wetherspoons case is that they can kill off "proper local independent pubs" by undercutting them and taking their business away, which is why a lot of people hate Tim Martin -- not just his politics.

All's fair in business, you might say. But when all the proper pubs have disappeared and 'spoons is all we have left, people might change their minds...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 3

Just now, IanD said:

Just to be clear, I don't think anyone is saying that there shouldn't be cheap places to eat or drink like McDonalds or Wetherspoons.

But people shouldn't be under any illusion about *why* they're cheap, it's because they cut costs and quality by centralised buying and food preparation and cutting down on staff numbers and wages -- the service in 'spoons is often terrible, and the staff don't give a sh*t because that's what they're treated like.

One consequence in Wetherspoons case is that they can kill off "proper local independent pubs" by undercutting them and taking their business away, which is why a lot of people hate Tim Martin -- not just his politics.

All's fair in business, you might say. But when all the proper pubs have disappeared and 'spoons is all we have left, people might change their minds...

I would suggest that Wetherspoons caused a lot of pubs in the 1990s to raise their game…especially concerning food and real ale. Let’s try to remember what it was really like in other “chain” or brewery run pubs at the time. 

23 minutes ago, IanD said:

Just to be clear, I don't think anyone is saying that there *shouldn't* be cheap places to eat or drink like McDonalds or Wetherspoons.

But people shouldn't be under any illusion about *why* they're cheap, it's because they cut costs and quality by centralised administration, buying and food preparation and cutting down on ingredient quality, staff numbers (and chefs!) and wages -- the service in 'spoons is often terrible, and the staff don't give a sh*t because that's what they're treated like.

Doubt it. Just look at the big supermarkets putting the small traders out of business. Market forces and affordability for the masses.

58 minutes ago, IanD said:

As Ive said before (but of course you wont have seen). The Spoons opening in our local market town didnt cause any pubs to close, one closed for other reasons.

Marstons opening in our vicinity didnt either.

30 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Doubt it. Just look at the big supermarkets putting the small traders out of business. Market forces and affordability for the masses.

The difference is that the supermarkets usually offer similar quality to the small traders, which is why everyone uses them.

I don't think anyone could seriously claim the same for 'spoons compared to "proper independent local pubs" -- people don't just go to pubs based on price, if that was all that mattered they'd stay at home and drink beer from the supermarket at a third the price. Oh hang on, that's what a lot do...

The same happens with pubs as shops -- once they close people protest about "tearing the heart out of our community", ignoring the fact that in the last year they bought two pints of beer or milk there.

But once they've closed they're often gone forever, and if all we end up with is 'spoons then the UK will be a much sadder place... 😞

1 hour ago, IanD said:

BBC has an interesting story about an Angolan refugee who was admitted to this country 20 years ago (back min the days when we still had some humanity in our dealings with refugees) who arrived with no English but learnt quickly and then gained good qualifications as a chef. Again, in the days when such folk were allowed to work to support themselves rather than depend on others, he looked for work as a chef. He heard of a vacancy at a Wetherspoons and went for interview and took with him, just in case, his chef's set in a case. The interviewer laughed and the showed him the kitchen. He was shocked (the kitchen was a microwave and a fryer!) - what had he trained for? The good part of the story is that he worked his way up and for the past 7 years has been the manager of one of Wetherspoons' outlets.

38 minutes ago, IanD said:

The difference is that the supermarkets usually offer similar quality to the small traders, which is why everyone uses them.

I don't think anyone could seriously claim the same for 'spoons compared to "proper independent local pubs" -- people don't just go to pubs based on price, if that was all that mattered they'd stay at home and drink beer from the supermarket at a third the price. Oh hang on, that's what a lot do...

The same happens with pubs as shops -- once they close people protest about "tearing the heart out of our community", ignoring the fact that in the last year they bought two pints of beer or milk there.

But once they've closed they're often gone forever, and if all we end up with is 'spoons then the UK will be a much sadder place... 😞

Nothing is forever. Even superman is dead.🤓

1 hour ago, Jon57 said:

And now the big chains are getting the squeeze from the foreign companies. Same with cloth shops, put the little people out and are now under pressure from online shopping

10 hours ago, MtB said:

Having scanned through the listing, I bet it sold for a bucketload more than the £250k "guide price". 

Well, a sa house it has charm, but there seems to be little or no garden - and has it got road access? I remember the struggle that Jane Selkirk and her husband had selling their quite idyllic property at Claydon Top because there was no road access: all their shopping had to be transported by wheelbarrow from the lock below, where there is a lane. Prospective buyers were unable to grasp the concept of "no road access".

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

You get quite a lot for four hundred grand  in those parts!

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

You get quite a lot for four hundred grand  in those parts!

No, you don't get that house for £400k. That £400k is the "guide price" on an auction listing. The guide price is generally set unrealistically low to make the place look like a bargain, to suck in inexperienced bidders and fill the auction room making it look like there is a lot of interest. 

It is quite common in my experience for the auctioneer to start asking for bids by saying "the guide price on this desirable property is £xxx, who will bid me that?", and a forest of hands shoots up. Decent properties around here typically sell at auction for double the guide price so I'd suggest you'd need about £800k to win this place at the auction.  

• Greenie 1

Thanks. I have watched a few of those houses-for-auction programmes on telly and they seem sometimes to stall and sometimes to go higher. But I'll be, er, guided by your first-hand knowledge and experience here.

Even so, were it in the Home Counties you could almost add a nought and it would still sell!

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Mrs_A said:

Never really understood why that bungalow has so much featureless lawn surrounding it. Looks a prime opportunity to build a few 4-bed houses in the garden and make a fortune!

I'm sure they must have thought of that....

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

Never really understood why that bungalow has so much featureless lawn surrounding it. Looks a prime opportunity to build a few 4-bed houses in the garden and make a fortune!

I'm sure they must have thought of that....

Says no gas and “private drainage” (does that mean septic tank?) so that might have a bearing.

Often speculated with the better half if it was one or two houses due it having that odd fence down to the canal, now we know.