Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Yeah, joke, we're talking pubs not fancy top price London bars ffs.

So still 3quid in the Talbot in Pershore tonight 👍

It's a Fullers pub in Kings Cross station, fancy bar it certainly ain't. Neither was the Star of Kings, just another pub, same price.

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, IanD said:

It's a Fullers pub in Kings Cross station, fancy bar it certainly ain't. Neither was the Star of Kings, just another pub, same price.

Not a proper pub with proper local people to talk to that I search out travelling the waterways. 

Sorry. Might suit you but not me.

Thus I've not paid that sort of money, and for big brewery/ pubco beer for a week or so since stuffed at the Boot. I'm for local pubs, with local people,  local beer at local prices. Just  been in a lovey old pubs or micropubs every night that haven't been 'gentrified '. And will continue to search them out.

11 hours ago, IanD said:

The Parcel Yard is one of London's more spectacular new pubs, how you can describe it so I cannot work out

The Parcel Yard - Fuller's Pub and Restaurant in King's Cross

9 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Not a proper pub with proper local people to talk to that I search out travelling the waterways. 

Sorry. Might suit you but not me.

Thus I've not paid that sort of money, and for big brewery/ pubco beer for a week or so since stuffed at the Boot. I'm for local pubs, with local people,  local beer at local prices. Just  been in a lovey old pubs or micropubs every night that haven't been 'gentrified '. And will continue to search them out.

It certainly doesn't suit me, give me a proper local boozer any day. A "fancy bar" down here wouldn't be selling beer as cheaply as £5.50 a pint...

At least the Parcel Yard did have draught beer in good condition (even if it was over-priced), the Star of Kings only had "craft" (i.e. keg) beers. Since we were at Coal Drop Yard because we were dancing there and had not that much free time, the fact that there might have been a nicer "proper" pub a mile away is of little help -- and trust me, we know where most of the decent pubs are in London, we spend a fair bit of time in them.

But there aren't any round there, as you'd find out if you visited the area. Here are a few suggestions if you're ever down here...

https://www.crosskeyshammersmith.co.uk/

https://www.bricklayers-arms.co.uk/

https://royaloaklondon.co.uk/

Edited by IanD

Anyone going to the Traditional Boat Rally in Henley on Thames over the August Bank Holiday weekend will be able to get a very nice pint of IPA or Rebellion Lager... it will cost a fiver, but to enjoy a pint in a field by the Thames whilst looking at vintage boats and Dunkirk Little Ships has to be worth a fiver...

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

The Parcel Yard is one of London's more spectacular new pubs, how you can describe it so I cannot work out

The Parcel Yard - Fuller's Pub and Restaurant in King's Cross

It does look rather upmarket.

In bygone days, somewhere under St. Pancras station was a bar reserved solely for the use of B.R. staff while on duty, which seems incredible today. I suppose it was to prevent them from sloping off for a quick one at one of the local pubs - the management would know where to find them.

This topic has also awoken a fragrant memory of the rich roasting aroma emitted by B.R.'s coffee mill, which was also somewhere in the bowels of St. Pancras (or should that be pancreas?)

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

It does look rather upmarket.

In bygone days, somewhere under St. Pancras station was a bar reserved solely for the use of B.R. staff while on duty, which seems incredible today. I suppose it was to prevent them from sloping off for a quick one at one of the local pubs - the management would know where to find them.

This topic has also awoken a fragrant memory of the rich roasting aroma emitted by B.R.'s coffee mill, which was also somewhere in the bowels of St. Pancras (or should that be pancreas?)

It's a huge pub internally with lots of side rooms, but it's definitely a pub nonetheless with an array of proper beer pumps front and centre. We'd have been happy to get wedged in playing crib all afternoon in one of the side rooms...

"Fancy bar" down here means somewhere with no draught beers and lots of Peroni and similar pumps, emphasis on spirits/cocktails/wine, "standing drinking", and often overloud music so you can't have a chat. Plenty of them around (too many!) but the Parcel Yard isn't one of them.

People really should visit places before condemning them based on their websites... 😉

Edited by IanD

34 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

Anyone going to the Traditional Boat Rally in Henley on Thames over the August Bank Holiday weekend will be able to get a very nice pint of IPA or Rebellion Lager... it will cost a fiver, but to enjoy a pint in a field by the Thames whilst looking at vintage boats and Dunkirk Little Ships has to be worth a fiver...

Why not stop in Marlow and go to Rebellion Brewery, buy a case to drink at Henley. Got to be cheaper and you know the money will be going to the brewery

7 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Why not stop in Marlow and go to Rebellion Brewery, buy a case to drink at Henley. Got to be cheaper and you know the money will be going to the brewery

er, because I will be the one selling the beer at the show, so I will be stopping at Marlow*... and picking up about ten kegs so that happy show-goers can enjoy a nice cold pint on draught and don't have to stagger about in a field carrying a case of beer, I will have done the hard work for them (c:

Some money will be going to the brewery as they are a supplier, some will go to the owner of the Acorn Bar, and some will go to staff. Some may find its way into my pocket, but generally get paid in kind (the owner of the bar, who happens to be my ex-brother-in-law, has a vineyard a couple of miles up the road from Fawley Meadows and I do --occasionally-- sup glass or two of excellent English wine at his expense...). I generally do these events because, despite being really, really hard work, I enjoy it! 

*actually Rebellion deliver - they are a truly stunning company to do business with, I cannot praise them highly enough!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, IanD said:

People really should visit places before condemning them based on their websites... 😉

It isn't always logistically possible, or desirable, to visit every place.

I don't think that "rather upmarket" ranks as a condemnation. Many people would see it as a compliment.

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

It isn't always logistically possible, or desirable, to visit every place.

I don't think that "rather upmarket" ranks as a condemnation. Many people would see it as a compliment.

That comment wasn't really targeted at you... 😉

I'd say there are excellent pubs of all types ranging from scuzzy (but friendly) backstreet boozers to rather more upmarket ones -- some of which are much more upmarket than the Parcel Yard! -- , but I'd say that to be classed as a "proper English pub" there are a few basic requirements -- good draught beer in good condition, and somewhere to sit and drink it with your friends without having to scream over music. Food is optional, can be anything from the pork pies and rolls in the Bull and Bladder to top-notch food -- or even nothing, though few pubs can survive nowadays without income from this.

Judging a pub/bar by what it looks like can be a mistake, in both directions. Some years ago we went into the Knott Bar at Castlefield which looked like the kind of trendy hangout I hate (and we almost went somewhere else), but which turned out to have excellent beer and a truly inspired chef, who we spent some time discussing the food with when he knocked off at 9 o'clock (and we still regularly cook one of his dishes, a fabulous chicken and chorizo soup/stew). Then we went back a couple of years ago and it *was* an overpriced bar serving overpriced uninspiring food, full of people shouting to be heard over the music, from which there was no escape... 😞

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

It certainly doesn't suit me, give me a proper local boozer any day. A "fancy bar" down here wouldn't be selling beer as cheaply as £5.50 a pint...

At least the Parcel Yard did have draught beer in good condition (even if it was over-priced), the Star of Kings only had "craft" (i.e. keg) beers. Since we were at Coal Drop Yard because we were dancing there and had not that much free time, the fact that there might have been a nicer "proper" pub a mile away is of little help -- and trust me, we know where most of the decent pubs are in London, we spend a fair bit of time in them.

But there aren't any round there, as you'd find out if you visited the area. Here are a few suggestions if you're ever down here...

https://www.crosskeyshammersmith.co.uk/

https://www.bricklayers-arms.co.uk/

https://royaloaklondon.co.uk/

If you want a basic boozer in Kings Cross with good beer the King Charles is for you, can get very busy and loud though!

King Charles I, London • whatpub.com

The new Spoons on St Pancras station does an excellent range of beers at up to £2 a pint cheaper than the Parcel Yard, not the most atmospheric pub but very handy if travelling through

Edited by Tim Lewis

14 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

If you want a basic boozer in Kings Cross the King Charles is for you, can get very busy and loud though!

King Charles I, London • whatpub.com

Thanks for the recommendation, looks good, next time we're in the area we might try it out -- the Parcel Yard is convenient for a meet up when everyone's coming by Tube and train though, and there is plenty of space in there when there are fifteen of us. The KC1 is also a bit too far from where we were, given the time constraints to squeeze in a pint or two...

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Thanks for the recommendation, looks good, next time we're in the area we might try it out -- the Parcel Yard is convenient for a meet up when everyone's coming by Tube and train though, and there is plenty of space in there when there are fifteen of us. The KC1 is also a bit too far from where we were, given the time constraints to squeeze in a pint or two...

The JC1 is a small pub, you would struggle to meet up with five friends let alone 15!

a couple of other gems not too far from KX station:

https://queensheadlondon.com/

https://www.thesomerstowncoffeehouse.co.uk

the second one is a bit of a gastro pub

ps. Just popped into the Parcel Yard to look at the prices. FFS, £5.35 for the basic bitter, no wonder we go to the spoons 50 yards away where the cheapest cask is £2.89!

3 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Edited by Tim Lewis

9 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

The JC1 is a small pub, you would struggle to meet up with five friends let alone 15!

a couple of other gems not too far from KX station:

https://queensheadlondon.com/

https://www.thesomerstowncoffeehouse.co.uk

the second one is a bit of a gastro pub

ps. Just popped into the Parcel Yard to look at the prices. FFS, £5.35 for the basic bitter, no wonder we go to the spoons 50 yards away where the cheapest cask is £2.89!

Yeah but, 'spoons... 😞

6 minutes ago, IanD said:

Yeah but, 'spoons... 😞

Nowt wrong with spoons!  I’m a big fan and have been since the early 90’s

this might shatter some preconceived ideas about spoons

“Shot in the head in Angola, left for dead, now a Wetherspoons star “

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58266180

Edited by frangar
  • Unimpressed 1

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

Some are a bit ropey but the one closest to us is actually a very nice pub.

And the staff are great.

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

this might shatter some preconceived ideas about spoons

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58266180

The McDonalds of pubs.  Cheap and shite with a side order of political propaganda for your enjoyment.

5 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The McDonalds of pubs.  Cheap and shite with a side order of political propaganda for your enjoyment.

I fully support his “propaganda” Good for him for standing up for what he believes rather than hiding away. 

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I go for the coffee/beer. I manage to avoid get embroiled in Martin's politics. (He tends not be there when I go in ours...)

32 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I go for the coffee/beer. I manage to avoid get embroiled in Martin's politics. (He tends not be there when I go in ours...)

He leaves his politics all over the tables!

This is a man who campaigned to have a large proportion of his work force to leave the country and is now whinging that he's short staffed.  A man who did nothing to support his staff at the start of the pandemic and suggested they go and work for Tesco.  Utterly reprehensible turd of a man.

And the food is utter garbage.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

This is a man who campaigned to have a large proportion of his work force to leave the country and is now whinging that he's short staffed.  A man who did nothing to support his staff at the start of the pandemic and suggested they go and work for Tesco.  Utterly reprehensible turd of a man.

I take it you dont like him? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I would describe the food as 'variable', in our local one its normally OK but sometimes less so.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

34 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

It's really cheap though... 😉

Like the beer, you get what you pay for -- Greene King IPA is *so* delicious, isn't it?

[yes I know, other beers are available even in 'spoons]

9 minutes ago, IanD said:

It's really cheap though... 😉

Like the beer, you get what you pay for -- Greene King IPA is *so* delicious, isn't it?

[yes I know, other beers are available even in 'spoons]

Something you might not realise though is not everybody can afford to spend 15 quid each on a burger and a few fries (served on a slate!) if they want to treat the family and take them out for a bite to eat.

Yes they would probably wish they could spend more in some flash London pub but unfortunately they just cannot afford to (when they can get nearly three equivalent meals for the same price).

From there, he did another English course at Croydon College, before starting catering qualifications.

He wanted a job - "I can't be depending on government, I don't work that way" - and, via the job centre, learned of vacancies at the Richmal Crompton pub, part of the Wetherspoons chain, in nearby Bromley. But it's fair to say he wasn't familiar with the chain's cheap-and-cheerful culinary style.

"I had taken my chef's set in a case - knives and so on," Cesar says. "The woman who interviewed me said: 'What's that?' I told her it was my chef's set and she started laughing. I didn't understand why.

"She took me into the kitchen and said - 'Look, that's our kitchen'. It was a microwave, a fryer. At first I was shocked! But then I thought - I am fine, I will do it."