Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Neither can I at £4.40/pint in the Boot Inn local as we discovered a week or so back!

Bear in mind most of the price of a pint is not for the beer, it's for rent on the space in the premises you are taking up whilst drinking it, staff costs to serve it and wash your glass after, a million other business overheads etc etc. 

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Athy said:

It must be run by the same people who keep the Cropredy pubs.

The Boot is part of the Lovely Pubs chain, they have a number of pubs in the area, a few of which are canal side orclose to canals  https://www.lovelypubs.co.uk. If you want cheap and spit and sawdust they are not for you, but then neither are most pubs!

To be honest £4.40 a pint does not sound expensive.  We were in Morton’s (another of the Lovely Pubs) last week and there was no ale on, so I had Peroni, and I think it was £5.50 a pint.

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

The Boot is part of the Lovely Pubs chain, they have a number of pubs in the area, a few of which are canal side orclose to canals  https://www.lovelypubs.co.uk. If you want cheap and spit and sawdust they are not for you, but then neither are most pubs!

To be honest £4.40 a pint does not sound expensive.  We were in Morton’s (another of the Lovely Pubs) last week and there was no ale on, so I had Peroni, and I think it was £5.50 a pint.

Your choice buddy but in the Red Lion in Evesham tonight on lovely locally brewed beer at £3.50.

Edited by JamesWoolcock
Typo whilst in the pub
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Your choice buddy but in the Red Lion in Evesham tonight on lovely locally brewed beer at £3.50.

I think the cost of an Uber to Evesham over a 5 min walk from home would have added significantly to the cost 😀

13 hours ago, john6767 said:

Had a very nice meal in the Boot last weekend, very good service even though the place was packed both inside and out

On 21/08/2021 at 21:27, JamesWoolcock said:

And £3.00/pint for HPA tonight in the Talbot in Pershore. 

Nevermind Uber, get on ya boat like I have!

Edited by JamesWoolcock

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Out around King's Cross yesterday, standard price for beer (not lager!) seems to be around £5.50 a pint... 😞

This is, I suspect, a leading indicator of the inflation our economy is about to experience, as a result of so many young and foreign workers leaving our shores and going back home. The reduced size of the UK labour force means a boom in wages as businesses now actually have to compete for workers, IMO. The obvious consequence of rapidly rising wages is upward pressure on retail prices of everything, and beer prices in pubs are perhaps the quickest to respond. 

Oh, and toilet seats too, it appears! 😂

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

This is, I suspect, a leading indicator of the inflation our economy is about to experience, as a result of so many young and foreign workers leaving our shores and going back home. The reduced size of the UK labour force means a boom in wages as businesses now actually have to compete for workers, IMO. The obvious consequence of rapidly rising wages is upward pressure on retail prices of everything, and beer prices in pubs are perhaps the quickest to respond. 

Nothing to do with the fact that the whole area (we were at Coal Drops Yard) has been renovated and rents have shot through the roof then?

One of the (small) pubs only had one barperson serving, and she was from Leeds. I didn't ask her if her wages had gone up because of labour shortages, she was a bit overrun when we walked in and ordered fifteen pints...

Not arguing with your suggestion BTW, but 'oop North this might at worst have resulted in the price of a pint soaring towards £4... 😉

Edited by IanD

Between lockdowns we had one small pub drink, it was £4.00/pint in a small town in Yorkshire. I reasoned that they could accommodate few customers, had paid to install outdoor gazebo structures, were serving at the table, and had invested in a mobile phone order and payment system, so the cost was just about reasonable. Trouble is that as we return to normality, and as prices rarely go down,, these high prices will stay.

Spoke to the children yesterday, they live in Bristol and drink at "local" pubs, they say they get a bit unhappy if a round of two pints costs more than £10

After bellringing at Kintbury we used to go for a pint in the Dundas Arms, and one night we ordered a round of five drinks and the bill was £28. Someone said "hold on, that's WAY too much" and the bar person checked the till and said "Oh sorry, as the bill came to more than £20 the till has assumed it is a restaurant bill, and automatically added 10% service charge. I'll take it off again". 

I bet they get away with that one multiple times every night. 

19 minutes ago, MtB said:

Oh, and toilet seats too, it appears! 😂

Reduced size? Then we must believe that the 5 million plus estimated to be here are all pensioners. 

It would have been more honest if during Covid restrictions the pubs had kept prices standard but added a "covid restrictions service charge", though I suppose now we are just paying a "long term covid recovery service charge".

About three years ago the local pub here raised the price of a pint from £4 for everything on draught, to £4.20 for everything on draught. The locals were incensed and actually collectively stopped buying beer in there. 

After about two weeks the pub reverted to £4 a pint, which at the time seemed top money. But now £4 seems very reasonable.

Dunno what they charge now, haven't been in there for 18 months.

I rarely eat out these days, but in the past when I did, if a menu noted that 10% (or whatever) service charge was added to the bill, I'd ask if it was optional. If not optional, I walked out. I rarely had to walk out.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

About three years ago the local pub here raised the price of a pint from £4 for everything on draught, to £4.20 for everything on draught. The locals were incensed and actually collectively stopped buying beer in there. 

After about two weeks the pub reverted to £4 a pint, which at the time seemed top money. But now £4 seems very reasonable.

Dunno what they charge now, haven't been in there for 18 months.

Maybe it's closed?  Many many pubs are struggling, and having your regulars walk out over 20p must seem like a kick in the teeth.  I'm happy to pay £4.50 or even £5+ for a pint at an independant local.  We'll all miss them when they're gone.  All that will be left are Wetherspoons with their appalling employment practices.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Maybe it's closed?  Many many pubs are struggling, and having your regulars walk out over 20p must seem like a kick in the teeth.  I'm happy to pay £4.50 or even £5+ for a pint at an independant local.  We'll all miss them when they're gone.  All that will be left are Wetherspoons with their appalling employment practices.

This was three or four years ago and I very much doubt they were struggling as the only pub in this prosperous wiltshire village, shortly after the only competing pub was recently bought and closed by an avaricious property developer. At the time £4 was the most expensive in the area and what with the competing (also successful) pub just arbitrarily closed down, it seemed like profiteering. This place was also charging £30 for a Sunday roast at the time. Dunno what they charge now. 

Nowadays 

10 hours ago, IanD said:

Out around King's Cross yesterday, standard price for beer (not lager!) seems to be around £5.50 a pint... 😞

10 hours ago, IanD said:

I regularly drink in the pubs around Kings Cross and apart from the Parcel Yard at £5.05 I have not paid anything like £5 for a pint of ale. The Barrel Vault on St Pancras statioon ids under £4 a pint

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

I regularly drink in the pubs around Kings Cross and apart from the Parcel Yard at £5.05 I have not paid anything like £5 for a pint of ale. The Barrel Vault on St Pancras statioon ids under £4 a pint

£5.50 at the Parcel Yard for Hophead...