Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

Below Marsworth,  Short notice for all you investors - seems to include a mooring right but that might be sublet with the cottage.

Access and services will be interesting.

https://auctions.allsop.co.uk/lot-overview/investment-leasehold-self-contained-two-bedroom-house-in-tring/r210616-216?searchid=jXMCFQfIsEKSapQYEh xUO0TcVKO3Fe6FXTDU2Vnskw%3D&idx=10

7 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Below Marsworth,  Short notice for all you investors - seems to include a mooring right but that might be sublet with the cottage.

https://auctions.allsop.co.uk/lot-overview/investment-leasehold-self-contained-two-bedroom-house-in-tring/r210616-216?searchid=jXMCFQfIsEKSapQYEh xUO0TcVKO3Fe6FXTDU2Vnskw%3D&idx=10

A previous resident drowned in the lock on his way back from the pub ☹️

Quite a few years ago there was a shell of a boat moored outside. To my eye it was absolutely gorgeous but just sat there year after year, gathering more rust every time we went past. I eventually made enquiries, and best I could make out, there was some tragic story as to why the owner would not sell. I left notes asking him to contact me if he ever wanted to sell but never heard from him. I have no idea what happened to it, but never forgot it.

8 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Quite a few years ago there was a shell of a boat moored outside. To my eye it was absolutely gorgeous but just sat there year after year, gathering more rust every time we went past. I eventually made enquiries, and best I could make out, there was some tragic story as to why the owner would not sell. I left notes asking him to contact me if he ever wanted to sell but never heard from him. I have no idea what happened to it, but never forgot it.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

A previous resident drowned in the lock on his way back from the pub ☹️

Not quite it was the morning following a good night in the pub. To access the cottage you had to go across the lock it was icy and sadly he slipped and was found in the lock. Great man , sadly missed we gave his good send off. It was his boat he was building that his son kept.

16 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

Not quite it was the morning following a good night in the pub. To access the cottage you had to go across the lock it was icy and sadly he slipped and was found in the lock. Great man , sadly missed we gave his good send off. It was his boat he was building that his son kept.

I thought he slipped on his way back and was found the next morning because his hat was floating in the lock.

Didn't his boat have a high roof to accommodate the hat?

2 hours ago, Tacet said:

I am 90% positive I have watched this on a NB YouTube in recent months and it's like an abandoned property with all his possessions still there. Very sad.  

The Gate Inn, pub/restaurant with accommodation,  Chesterfield canal near Retford.  425k, freehold.  Visitor moorings outside but also historic private mooring not currently used.

For sale with uk.businessesforsale.com,  see "Save our pub" topic for more details. 

20210613_220353.jpg

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

We have just joined the Stratford at Kingswood Junction and the house on the island beside lock 20 is up for sale, triangular plot and all sides against the canal.

I was looking at that the other week, it is an interesting location of course, but no road access, and no where to park a car I suspect, although I did not look at the details.  Will be cheaper than the lock cottage at Bucket lock that is for sure!

7 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I was looking at that the other week, it is an interesting location of course, but no road access, and no where to park a car I suspect, although I did not look at the details.  Will be cheaper than the lock cottage at Bucket lock that is for sure!

£400,000 for a 2 bed

6 minutes ago, Tonka said:

i think you know the area better than I. 

no privacy. bog downstairs

very small

grade 2

allocated parking space

The parking space is a plus point presumably in the CRT car park by the bins.  The other points I would agree with.  It would not be for me, but if someone wants a unique property in a very special location, canal wise, and does not mind the down sides, plus the train noise, then they can have it for the cost of a very ordinary house.

12 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The parking space is a plus point presumably in the CRT car park by the bins.  The other points I would agree with.  It would not be for me, but if someone wants a unique property in a very special location, canal wise, and does not mind the down sides, plus the train noise, then they can have it for the cost of a very ordinary house.

or a local person buys it as a holiday let.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Tacet said:

The pin on the map is not in the correct location. Looks like there is no road access unless you can do a deal with the owner of the field behind.

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Unusual layout. Isn’t it annoying when POA appears. Are they ashamed of the price they are asking?

The stupid thing is if you do a property search of the area in price. The property comes up with the other properties in that price. So you know what the rough price is.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Unusual layout. Isn’t it annoying when POA appears. Are they ashamed of the price they are asking?

Well, it's not going to be cheap when the historical sales data shows it sold for around £350k eight years ago!

59 minutes ago, MHS said:

It’s lovely, but tiny. It has a good butchers & pub within 100m and looked great last Christmas time. 

It does have character, though 100 miles is a bit too far to go for a butcher's and a pub.