Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Another interesting question would be:  If the red line boundary is correct, and you moored your boat there; would you need a CRT licence?

Probably not, as long of course as you didn't venture onto 'their' waterways.

All of the above of course is just supposition and if anybody did intend to purchase with the intention of mooring a boat they would need proper advice, particularly if CRT tried to enforce or charge something they were not actually entitled to do. (not that that would ever happen of course...)

5 hours ago, Dorlan said:

The arm was the Mitton railway basin, the only railway / canal interchange on the main line of the Staffs/Worcs Canal.

Most of the traffic was steel from South Wales for the Wilden and Stourvale works and coal from Highley Colliery.

Opera Snapshot_2021-03-25_102215_maps.nls.uk.jpg

Back in the 70s/80s before the houses were built there was a 50ft or so iron joey boat hull on the bank alongside where the blue boat is now moored. It had a remarkably crude welded counter stern, it was all horribly rusty, and on the side of the boat was daubed "for sale" with a phone number. It was there for years. I imagine it got moved when the houses went up.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

A very attractive property which has been somewhat spoiled by excessive tarting up. That's not just sour grapes because we don't have a spare million at the moment, either.

I would like that desk that's in the study, though.

2 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

What's with the stop planks? Is it a CRT requirement or is it to stop the passing boater plebs from pulling in to moor up for the night?

one wouldn’t want to gaze out of one’s conservatory to see Johnny Riffraff making high cockalorum in one’s private mooring dear boy, perish the thought ;) 

3 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

What's with the stop planks? Is it a CRT requirement or is it to stop the passing boater plebs from pulling in to moor up for the night?

Possibly a historically correct restoration of a working dry dock, and also the owners probably had CRT will insist on it being planked off otherwise they will  charge the end of garden mooring fee

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Possibly a historically correct restoration of a working dry dock, and also the owners probably had CRT will insist on it being planked off otherwise they will  charge the end of garden mooring fee

That's an interesting point. If the boat is totally within one's own property, is such a fee still payable? There used to be one in a garden on Creampot Close in Cropredy which was, but I don't know if the owners had to pay a mooring fee or not.

Just now, Athy said:

That's an interesting point. If the boat is totally within one's own property, is such a fee still payable? There used to be one in a garden on Creampot Close in Cropredy which was, but I don't know if the owners had to pay a mooring fee or not.

I bet CRT would try and argue it is. But as the mooring is an 'in garden mooring' rather than 'end of garden' I certainly would be challenging it if they did. If I could afford a million pound house I would be able to employ a decent solicitor too.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

It probably has grandfather rights to the connection, so no fee to CRT, and not much they can do about it.

They can as it is connected, due to breach/leak risk. They can insist on either the planks being in place or the owners paying for regular CRT structure survey and allowing access.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

If I remember correctly that wouldn't hold a lot of water back

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

Here's a guess. The owner wants to use the dock so he keeps the wood in the water to prevent warping/drying/cracking etc.

If I remember correctly its only a single board and and just below the surface

6 hours ago, matty40s said:

It says it has 180 feet of moorings, that could of course be both sides of a cutting 90 foot long