Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, mark99 said:

I lived in Kegworth as a teenager and used to deliver papers to this property - the owners always tipped well at Christmas. In my opinion the bungalow was spoilt when the pitched roof were added. As a flat roofed property it had really nice crisp lines with a hint of art deco. Kegworth carnival and traction engine rally used to be held on the adjoining meadow. The house is well above the flood level.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Here was a nice house with mooring  I saw come and go (sell) quickly.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/95475671#/media?id=media1

Wowie zowie! BOAM (Bring Out Another Million). Where was it?

As an aside, what is the correct name for the leather-topped fireguard around the open fire? I've a notion that it's a club something-or-other.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

There's a lovely house on Creampot Close, Cropredy (one of those big semi's on the left-hand side above the lock) just appeared on Rightmove, but alas out of our price range.

Is it one of the places where the residents have whinged about moored boats running engines, making smoke etc?

ETA Just read post #146!

Edited by Victor Vectis

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

Wowie zowie! BOAM (Bring Out Another Million). Where was it?

As an aside, what is the correct name for the leather-topped fireguard around the open fire? I've a notion that it's a club something-or-other.

Eaton Hastings, Oxon. Aka the thinner bendy Thames bit.

And it's a club fender I think.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Athy said:

One of the row used to have a mooring cut into the garden at right angles to the canal. The people kept a short (25 foot-ish I'd guess) narrowboat in it. You can still see where the bank was reinstated after they left.

Can you claim that as a one boat marina, and pay CRT 9% of the going mooring rate, rather than the 50% for an EOG mooring?

51 minutes ago, mark99 said:

That's been for sale for a long time - over a year at least. (The reference JGA/311017 at the bottom of the ad may indicate when it was first put up for sale.) And the price hasn't moved in the time I have been aware of it.  It did have planning permission to convert into a house, but that has now expired.

The sale prospects probably aren't helped by it having one branch of HS2 passing a little way to the north and another a short distance to the south.

• Greenie 2

13 hours ago, mark99 said:

And it's a club fender I think.

Yes, that's it, thanks.

14 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Is it one of the places where the residents have whinged about moored boats running engines, making smoke etc?

I'd very much doubt it, as the properties back on to the canal and their back gardens must be a good thirty yards long.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I'd very much doubt it, as the properties back on to the canal and their back gardens must be a good thirty yards long.

I once moored there a few years ago and saw a sign asking boaters to limit engine running for the benefit of residents. 

42 minutes ago, mark99 said:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/72823194#/media?id=media1

Trent and Mersey. Poss a lot of road noise?

If I'm understanding the map correctly, the house is quite close to the main road, and it then has a very long narrow garden down to the canal. And presumably a short mooring.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

If I'm understanding the map correctly, the house is quite close to the main road, and it then has a very long narrow garden down to the canal. And presumably a short mooring.

Red dot marks the house. 

5D6D1DF3-0220-4405-8BF8-B006E548655C.jpeg