SML Ballistic Black - Comments please

Featured Posts

Hi

I am about to black my narrowboat which has previously been done with Coflex VT (a 'Comastic' type - now banned). I have tried to research for a suitable product to use but there are some very confusing/misleading websites out there - must be run by politicians!

Ballistic Black seems to be suitable for going over the stuff already on according to one website. Has anyone used this stuff over a vinyl tar product and, if so, was it any good?

Thanks in anticipation.

I used Ballistic Black over an unknown previous blacking 2 years ago. It has performed well and still looks good, apart from the bits I have scraped off on locksides and copings. I found it didn't stick so well to a small area which had previously been gloss painted. Better preparation needed on these areas next time.

We've used it on the previous 2 blackings. Was advised by SML to use Vinyguard primer over the old coating first. Quite impressed. It's pretty thick do when scraped you tend to see the paint pushed back rather than removed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2019 at 15:40, bastion said:

Used it 3 yrs ago, out for blacking in 2 weeks time. Will let you know how it is then. Was easy to apply and dried quickly.

Boat out the water today and pleased at the condition of the Ballastic. Very little deterioration and only a few waterline rust spots. 

I've used it on the last 2 occasions. The first time I used it I scarified the hull first. Dirty, hard job but worth it. Out again  next week after about 18 months. A bit premature but it's out of the water for a new stern tube so silly not to black it. Personally I wouldn't trust any bitumen based treatment any longer than 2 years.

On 13/09/2019 at 14:31, Slim said:

I've used it on the last 2 occasions. The first time I used it I scarified the hull first. Dirty, hard job but worth it. Out again  next week after about 18 months. A bit premature but it's out of the water for a new stern tube so silly not to black it. Personally I wouldn't trust any bitumen based treatment any longer than 2 years.

I'm sure you're right. I used to see little rust spots on the waterline at about 2 years and leave it another year before reblacking. That was using 4 coats of Rylards. If Ballistic is only good for 2 years what makes it better than any other bitumen based blacking? 

I've now tried Ballistic Black and can add my three 'appence worth. Firstly the company SML who provided the stuff couldn't have been more helpful and delivery occurred before 11am, having ordered at 2pm the previous day. It was well packaged.

The Ballistic Black does need a great deal of stirring before use. I applied it with a brush and roller. Both worked well, until the handle fell off the roller! My only preparation was a high pressure boat wash and a few hours drying. The surface was 99% in tact with just a few spots of exposed metal. I didn't use a primer on these. The Ballistic Black covers well (5 litres gave a good brushed coat to my 45 ft boat, with less rollered on for a second) and there is no visible sign of any problems regarding its interaction with the layer beneath.

I've not purchased any of the suggested thinner, which might be useful for getting the final dregs from the tin. When I replace my roller I'll be putting on a third coat, weather permitting.

I've just blacked my 45ft 19 year old boat with Rylards Premium Protection. Previous blacking with same stuff was in June 2015.

Not to much rust. High pressure wash, then primed it where appropriate with Vactan. 3 full coats and then about another 3 on the waterline - maybe 18" deep in total.

Got a bit left out of 10L. £38 for 5L. Cant see any reason not to leave it 4 years again, and cant see any reason not to use the same stuff again.

I have just (6 hours ago) come off the slip having blacked my boat. It was last blacked 18 months ago with SMC Ballistic. There was no evidence of rust whatsoever. A really high powered jet wash followed by a wire brushing on the waterline was all that was needed. I 'felt' that it might have lasted another 6 mònths or so but wouldn't have wanted to leave it any longer (just gut feeling). 

A slightly grimey 

Frank