Dried Masking Tape

Featured Posts

Hi All

I'm repainting the roof in preparation for mounting solar boxes and due to unforeseen work commitments and recent bad weather I left the cheap masking tape I  used on longer than I intended. It has now dried like cement and proving an absolute nightmare to remove. I've tried warm water, razor blades etc but these methods are time consuming, pull the paint off with it and are time consuming. 

Can anyone suggest any more effective solutions. Feedback from anyone who has experienced such a mistake and found a useful solution themselves would be most welcome. 

Thanks in advance. 

Russell

"sticky stuff remover" will get it off, but your paint may suffer. Horrible stuff, cheap masking tape and doesn't work well either. Get the more expensive green stuff (i forget the name), it comes off clean even after a day or two. Lemon juice might do it. 

My wife offered to paint round my windows five year back, taped them up and forgot to take it off without telling me. By the time I got back to the boat a week later... The glue us still on some of the frames. 

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

"Sticky stuff remover" will get it off, but your paint may suffer. Horrible stuff, cheap masking tape and doesn't work well either. Get the more expensive green stuff (i forget the name), it comes off clean even after a day or two. Lemon juice might do it. 

My wife offered to paint round my windows five year back, taped them up and forgot to take it off without telling me. By the time I got back to the boat a week later... The glue us still on some of the frames. 

I agree - it is dreadful stuff to get off once hardened. I have used sticky stuff remover sometimes if not too hard, and also gentle heat from either a hair dryer or careful  use of a heat gun, normally used for paint stripping, but be careful of the paint underneath.

Howard

Panel wipe, used in the motor finishing trade for degreasing prior to painting, should dissolve the remaining adhesive without affecting surrounding paint. Perhaps consider a tape that can be applied and left in future. Craftmaster 14 day, Kleen Edge or Tesa 3443 are all candidates. Good luck!!

10 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Panel wipe, used in the motor finishing trade for degreasing prior to painting, should dissolve the remaining adhesive without affecting surrounding paint. Perhaps consider a tape that can be applied and left in future. Craftmaster 14 day, Kleen Edge or Tesa 3443 are all candidates. Good luck!!

Talking of Craftmaster, I see Midland Chandlers are now selling their paint. I don't know whether it's any good, it's just that our boat's painted with it. 

23 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

Try WD40 according to this website it has many uses you would never normally think of. http://www.novelodge.com/worldwide/wd40/34 

Tried it with the missus. Made her smell right funny and she wouldn't let me near her for several days.

• Haha 1