One More Stop And Its Time For My Winter Mooring

Parahandy

Featured Posts

In the Pub last night and up pops a Bloke who owns a shiny Widebeam , my friend Mick asked how he was doing with his Cruising ,Ive gone from Yardley Gobion to Fenny Stratford was the reply and I wont have time to go any further . 22 mile recommendation from CRT said another at the end of the Bar . The Bloke with the Widebeam replied that he had one more move to make before he would head for Great Linford and his Milton Keynes Parks Trust Mooring which starts on the 1st of October and lasts to the 1st of April , I generally get there a Fortnight early and just sit , I treat it as another Two weeks on top of the Six months he eagerly informed us . After he had gone Mick was telling me that these Parks Trust Moorers leave an Initial Deposit of £250 which guarantees them the Mooring in Perpetuity , the CRT meanwhile turn a Blind Eye to the fact that they are non compliant in terms of miles covered as for six months of the Year they are effectively off the Checkers Radar . Thinking back to the CRT Winter Mooring Offer last Year which was effectively a Duration Cut for More Money , clearly these Parks Trust Moorings are the ones to have , its just a pity that because of this Deposit Racket they are simply not available to most Boaters . I shall Cruise all winter as I generally do , perhaps at the turn of the Year I shall tell CRT I am off to Barbados for 4 weeks and leaving my Boat in the care of my fellow Intinerants , theres more than one way to skin a Cat as the old Granny used to say . ?

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, Parahandy said:

In the Pub last night and up pops a Bloke who owns a shiny Widebeam , my friend Mick asked how he was doing with his Cruising ,Ive gone from Yardley Gobion to Fenny Stratford was the reply and I wont have time to go any further . 22 mile recommendation from CRT said another at the end of the Bar . The Bloke with the Widebeam replied that he had one more move to make before he would head for Great Linford and his Milton Keynes Parks Trust Mooring which starts on the 1st of October and lasts to the 1st of April , I generally get there a Fortnight early and just sit , I treat it as another Two weeks on top of the Six months he eagerly informed us . After he had gone Mick was telling me that these Parks Trust Moorers leave an Initial Deposit of £250 which guarantees them the Mooring in Perpetuity , the CRT meanwhile turn a Blind Eye to the fact that they are non compliant in terms of miles covered as for six months of the Year they are effectively off the Checkers Radar . Thinking back to the CRT Winter Mooring Offer last Year which was effectively a Duration Cut for More Money , clearly these Parks Trust Moorings are the ones to have , its just a pity that because of this Deposit Racket they are simply not available to most Boaters . I shall Cruise all winter as I generally do , perhaps at the turn of the Year I shall tell CRT I am off to Barbados for 4 weeks and leaving my Boat in the care of my fellow Intinerants , theres more than one way to skin a Cat as the old Granny used to say . ?

He sounds an idea user of a solar powered boat.......

Can anyone translate the OP into plain English please?

Despite reading it several times, I have no idea what the problem is with this bloke on his widebeam having his winter mooring!

Maybe its the weird text formatting but I simply can't stay with it right to the end, all in one single para. 

(See what I did there?)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Parahandy said:

The Bloke with the Widebeam replied that he had one more move to make before he would head for Great Linford and his Milton Keynes Parks Trust Mooring which starts on the 1st of October and lasts to the 1st of April 

36 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What is this "MK Parks" thing?

Do they rent out moorings? Why is this a problem?

I’d hate to think that CRT were losing out on a income stream....I didn’t know the Parks had anything to do with running the cut in MK. It’s a problem as every bit of cash helps! 

Edited by frangar
Removal of annoying extra letter!

1 minute ago, frangar said:

I’d hate to think that CRT were loosing out on a income stream....I didn’t know the Parks had anything to do with running the cut in MK. It’s a problem as every bit of cash helps! 

MK parks ownership of some stretches offside bank has been in place quite a long time possibly since MK was thrown up as a new town, its only recently that these have been grabbed with glee by people wanting 6 months non movement at a peppercorn rent. Whether anybody this goes to CRT I do not know.

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What is this "MK Parks" thing?

Do they rent out moorings? Why is this a problem?

It’s third party provided linear moorings on the offside. Can’t see a significant problem here. If the widebeam owner pays to moor for six months of their licence period then they only have to cruise in a ‘bona fide for navigation’ kind of stylee for the remaining 6 months. Yardley Gobion to Fenny Stratford is perhaps borderline as is staying for the additional two weeks prior to or immediately after the mooring contract duration. However I suspect it’s a pattern that won’t be high on the list of enforcement targets if it registers at all.

Also in relation to the OPs last point I suspect if you have no home mooring and demonstrably are cruising long distances one period of overstaying for the purpose of a holiday per year is probably easy to arrange with CRT.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh I SEE!!!

The MK Parks moorings are effectively free, which is what troubles Para!!

A bit off topic, but I had a friend with a house in Godalming, at front of his house was a tiny patch of concrete that he owned, then a road. On said concrete was a council lamp standard, and he found out that the council was meant to pay him a peppercorn rent, so he wrote to the council asking for the rent, and got a nice letter back, with 20 peppercorns attached on sellotape, for back rent and future years.

My friend was vastly amused and kept the letter and peppercorns.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But presumably MK Parks or the boatowner have to pay CRT 50% of the local mooring rate as with any EOG or farmers field mooring.

Not if they own and maintain the waters edge, which I believe they do.

34 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh I SEE!!!

The MK Parks moorings are effectively free, which is what troubles Para!!

Not free, but a lot less than a grand for 6 months.

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Not free, but a lot less than a grand for 6 months.

Even so, Mr Wide Beam is getting something Para is not, so I can see why he would find this a problem.

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Even so, Mr Wide Beam is getting something Para is not, so I can see why he would find this a problem.

Only a problem if you let it get to you. Everyone gets something someone else can't have, that's the way it goes. In my case, someone else got the Lister SR2 that works properly, but I really don't see his engine as the problem. What I've got might be, what he's got aint. 

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I’m not sure he does find it a problem. He’s probably just angling for a response from people here who spend too much time bothering themselves about what other people are doing. At the end of the day the arrangements between MK Parks and their mooring customers aren’t our business. Nor can I get too excited about whatever arrangement exists between MK Parks and CRT.

JP

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

But presumably MK Parks or the boatowner have to pay CRT 50% of the local mooring rate as with any EOG or farmers field mooring.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I thought BW established in court some years ago that they were entitled to charge for a mooring over their land (canal bed in this case), regardless of who owns the bank. This is the basis of EoG mooring charges. The exceptions would be, on canals, where the whole of the water ares used for mooring is private land e.g some offside laybys or on rivers where the riparian owner owns the river bed.

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I’m not sure he does find it a problem. He’s probably just angling for a response from people here who spend too much time bothering themselves about what other people are doing. At the end of the day the arrangements between MK Parks and their mooring customers aren’t our business. Nor can I get too excited about whatever arrangement exists between MK Parks and CRT.

JP

Quite, well said.  What a refreshing change....