Bilge pump advise

marybeth

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, marybeth said:

Hi

Could anyone advise on bilge pump for my 50ft narrowboat. What is the best bilge pump and just general information about using them. 

Thanks

Mary

The make Rule is as good as any other but it is unlikely to get the bilge totally dry.

Many people set it up to automatically activate when the bilge fills above a certain point but as steel narrowboats do not leak much - even with a leaky cruiser stern - and automatic bilge pumps let on over winter are an ideal way to ruin batteries I prefer to just have a manual switch and visit the boat each month (5 hour round journey) because I can make sure other things are no wrong at the same time. My bilge has never overflowed the engine drip tray even after a period of heavy rain.

Unless its an "all in one" through bilge the accommodation bilge is probably best dealt with by sponge because a significant amount of water in that indicates a plumbing leak or leaking windows/vents.

Many others will disagree with my manual switch only point but if the bilge did for some reason get badly contaminated by fuel or oil at least it would not    automatically be pumped into the canal/marina, giving je a chance to sort it out.

Ideally,  you want the highest capacity pump you can afford and that will fit in the spaces available.  Normally, it may only have to pump out a bit of rainwater or the stern tube drips, but if you ever get flooded by, say, a wrongly opened  gate paddle or an overtopping gate you will be glad to have the extra capacity.  You may even spring a serious leak one day.

N