Mushroom Vents

Ladyt

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, robmilton said:

My boat had brass mushroom vents on when i bought it but i replaced them several years ago with stainless steel solar powered vents, 3 taking air out and one in the main cabin bringing it in, they run all year round and keep the boat dry and fresh, brilliant in my opinion.

Where did you buy them, please?

I installed something similar in the house for use in summer and it's improved the house no end. I can see why it's be good for a boat in a similar way.

11 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

In fact you won’t get much for ‘solar mushrooms’ as mushrooms grow in the dark......

I would advocate for a mushroom vent with integral fan immediately above the cooker. Every bit of moisture extracted from the boat is a bit of moisture that is not going to condense somewhere else and cause damage. Same above the shower, get as much moisture overboard as quickly as possible. 

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I was told not by an examiner but it may be another area subject to interpretation. 

On our last shareboat I was told the same by a BSS examiner for a normal mushroom vent fitted with a fan, despite my protests that you could see daylight between the fan blades amounting to about 50% of the mushrooms area.

Despite the shareboat being wholly owned by the shareholders, and so licenced as a private boat, where ventilation is advisory, and my telling the BSS examiner this, he came back when the next shareholder was on-board and insisted on having a large vent fitted in the back door. ?

17 hours ago, DandV said:

I would advocate for a mushroom vent with integral fan immediately above the cooker. Every bit of moisture extracted from the boat is a bit of moisture that is not going to condense somewhere else and cause damage. Same above the shower, get as much moisture overboard as quickly as possible. 

In 15 years living on this boat I've never had a problem with condensation with ordinary mushroom vents and lower level vents in the bow and stern doors. No moving parts to go wrong is better in my book.

I have a Manrose 12v extract-a-light fan in the bathroom mushroom vent and another one in cabin side above the hob and the amount of dust and dirt they pick up is more than one would imagine. Any vent with a fan will need regular disassembly and cleaning.

Edited by blackrose

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

In 15 years living on this boat I've never had a problem with condensation with ordinary mushroom vents and lower level vents in the bow and stern doors. No moving parts to go wrong is better in my book.

I have a Manrose 12v extract-a-light fan in the bathroom mushroom vent and another one in cabin side above the hob and the amount of dust and dirt they pick up is more than one would imagine. Any vent with a fan will need regular disassembly and cleaning.

The dirt and dust and grease that an extract fan picks up is only a portion of that expelled. Better to have to clean that portion off the fan periodically then have the lot redistributed over all the interior surfaces of your boat.