Llangollen Itinerary Advice

Jenny Newbie

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Onionman said:

I (genuinely) went into a cold sweat when I stumbled onto this on TV one evening.  I could no more do that than I could lift Mount Everest:

https://youtu.be/cenQIhwwyuc?t=1435

The steerer looked a bit nervous when Julia stepped onto the side... :D

• Horror 1

Just now, David Mack said:

I'm surprised the BBC's insurers allowed her to do that!

They probably didn’t, and she probably got a ticking off from the director. However, what’s done is done, it’s in the can, and it makes good TV, so it got used. 

17 hours ago, Onionman said:

For various reasons we ended up short of time so we bobbed across the aqueduct, did a quick 180 turn in the oodles of space at the other end, went back across and moored short of the Aqueduct Inn then took a taxi into Llangollen - I seem to recall it was about seven or eight quid each way.

All rather tough on me, a man abjectly terrified of heights. I had to cross by foot twice before I did it onthe boat.  I'm so bothered by heights that I (genuinely) went into a cold sweat when I stumbled onto this on TV one evening.  I could no more do that than I could lift Mount Everest:

https://youtu.be/cenQIhwwyuc?t=1435

It amused me when Jones the Boat stated the etiquette for crossing was only to proceed if the Aqueduct was clear when he is famous for crossing regardless.

On 01/09/2019 at 17:09, Jenny Newbie said:

We are supposed to hire the boat at 09:30, but I have no idea when we will really be underway.  We will either moor the first night before the aquaduct like you did, or head straight over depending on crowds and how early we get there.  I can't  imagine crossing the aquaduct without taking some time to walk around it, so spending the afternoon and night moored up on the Chirk side might be a feature rather than a bug.

We did the trip this summer (but not from Chirk Marina). Llangollen is "right around the corner" from your start point. It'll be around 3h from the marina to Llangollen basin.

For me the most "challenging" part was going "upstream" in the chirk tunnel. But you'll only do that on the end of your trip when returning to the marina. The only challenging part on that tunnel also is that you're going unexpectedly slow and that you might notice that your boat is pointing a bit sideways while going straight.

You will pass the moorings on Froncysyllte (before the aqueduct) maybe half an hour after you have started. So I doubt that you already want to already moor just then.

In Trevor, there are a few (I think 2) moorings to the right just after the footbridge across the Telford Inn (those are not available on friday-saturday I think...).

20190713_164550_Kamera.JPG.337c95c42e105192dada38f6caef5fc2.JPG20190713_164253_Kamera.JPG.280df918ba1c7a259f299bea78c4163e.JPG

There also a few more (I think 3) moordings when you continue into the Basin passing under Bridge 29W. But be prepared that you'll have to wind back there. Actually we met some boaters who told us that they forgot to turn left to Llangollen after the aqueduct and ended up in the Trevor Basin where they moored right away.

20190713_164359_Kamera.JPG.3f961368d2a01b0a7a20fb42e07ab65a.JPG

For visiting the aqueduct and Trevor/Trefor we moored at bridge 34W on our way back from Llangollen. That is a wonderful place IMHO. It is not the closest mooring the the Aqueduct though. From there you have multiple options to walk to the Aqueduct/Trevor: via the towpath, via a previous railway line (map recommended) or down the hill via a road (passing the "Pont Cysyllte" road bridge).

20190713_153526_Kamera.JPG.3643c05e609bbae80f90032fece2459c.JPG

Like many here already said. I don't see any problems when you go to Llangollen first. Just go slow when you're unsure. The slower you go, the faster you can stop.

On 01/09/2019 at 16:09, Jenny Newbie said:

Thank you.  That is very reassuring. 

We are supposed to hire the boat at 09:30, but I have no idea when we will really be underway.  We will either moor the first night before the aquaduct like you did, or head straight over depending on crowds and how early we get there.  I can't  imagine crossing the aquaduct without taking some time to walk around it, so spending the afternoon and night moored up on the Chirk side might be a feature rather than a bug.

If you have a fear of meeting the trip boat in the narrows time it so you don't. During the week the first trip leaves LLangollen at 12.15 earliest so an early start from before the aqueduct  is guaranteed to miss him.

19 hours ago, jam said:

If you have a fear of meeting the trip boat in the narrows time it so you don't. During the week the first trip leaves LLangollen at 12.15 earliest so an early start from before the aqueduct  is guaranteed to miss him.

Or better still follow him and you "WILL" have a clear run up

There is more to Ellesmere than a Tesco and some pubs.  There are 3 meres within walking distance if your into that.  Google the mere miander.  There are 9 meres altogether. You can moor beside Blakemere too - one of my favourite stops on the canal.

At the Llangollen end of the Chirk tunnel is a train station abour 2 mins walk away.  You can be in Chesterin 30 mins and Liverpool in an hour.

Llangollen is a bit pricey, but very pretty.  We walk to the Horse Shoe Falls then stop at the Chain Bridge Hotel for something to eat, then get steam train back to Llangollen.

?