Boat mover

Tony Custard

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Yellowback said:

What's wrong with your Mrs taking the boat? A high proportion of woman on the canals are far more capable than the men! It's a learning curve for both of you, I'm sure she'll pass all she learns on to you.

Work commitments.

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

If you are paying a professional,  insured boat mover for 4 days you won't be doing it for a tenner a day!

If you only need a more experienced boater to show you the ropes for a day that's usually "charged" at a couple of pints and a lift back or a trainfare home.

I understand your concern if your mate's boat got burnt out, but thousands of boaters leave their boats unattended on the towpath for days, weeks or even months (on an online mooring) without any problems.

The delivery trip back is one of the real joys of buying a new boat, and you could do yours in 3 days leaving it on the towpath for 6 days each time, or take a day off work and do it in one long weekend if you wanted to.

You could even do it in 10 days by moving a couple of hours a day after work and take the bus/metro home...

Thanks for the feedback, but I wasn't under the impression it would cost a tenner, I'm new to boating, not new to life.

I've had an idea of what price to expect from a recommended user on here, he's just too busy and not in the country at the time I need to move the boat or he would have done it.

And without casting aspertions on a whole canal system or area, my mates boat was burned out (when unattended) on the canal near Wigan, so am wary about that route. That and being new to boating, and not having much previous experience with locks etc, it sounds too much like a mission rather than an enjoyable plod down a canal. 

I'd rather take it easy and build my experience closer to home and the Mooring before taking it out on adventures.

I get that people love their delivery trip back after buying their boat, and I reiterate, if I had more time I'd do it, but unfortunately I don't. I work in education and I can't leave my job when I exit the building, that and the build up to the start of the new semester with the paperwork and new course planning, I'm starting to be very busy. 

I've got a better idea of the route, and have been advised it's a 3 day trip for someone with experience. So would prefer to pay someone to move it, at least a lot closer to its end destination. 

I'll meeting the marina today so will ask them as well. I'll keep the thread alive and let everyone know how I get on.

Thanks everyone for your assistance and advice.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Alimart said:

Picked up this chap's business card whilst touring round the Cheshire marinas a few months ago.  Haven't used his services so can't comment on good or bad, however he'll probably be worth a try :-     Mike Banks, www.narrowboatskipper.com.  Tel 07496 602398,  email narrowboatskipper@outlokk.com.

Thanks for this. Checked the website,which looks like it's been abandoned. Which isn't a full turn-off as I've had a few websites myself that I gave up on. I'll email or phone him later.

Thanks a lot for your help.

27 minutes ago, Tony Custard said:

Thanks for this. Checked the website,which looks like it's been abandoned. Which isn't a full turn-off as I've had a few websites myself that I gave up on. I'll email or phone him later.

He is still very much moving boats....not the cheapest, but works all times of year and can fix to keep going if he can.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

He is still very much moving boats....not the cheapest, but works all times of year and can fix to keep going if he can.

Cheers.

I tracked him down on LinkedIn, messaged him. Although, I'm also waiting for a quote from a member on here that looks like they're got the experience and recommendations etc.

Ta

7 hours ago, Tony Custard said:

Try this number Alan price 07969528244 

You will find him on Facebook unfazed boat mover and maintenance 

he as not long moved my boat for me 

2 hours ago, Micheal said:

Cheers Michael.

I think I've got someone, but will keep his digits just in case.

Ta

2 hours ago, Micheal said:

Hes the other one I pass work on to, however, I know he is moving a widebeam down to the Thames in a couple of weeks......a widebeam called Unfazed. Hes sold it for the 2nd time.

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

@Peter X might be up for this trip if you are really stuck, although I think he prefers to accompany the owner rather than move boats alone. 

Generally I do. Also for the next 2 months, I have a bit too much else to get done at home to want to take on a trip, particularly going way up north for a few days boating.

But I think other responses to this topic indicate the likely best solution; arrange to move the boat yourself a day or two at a time, e.g. weekends, leaving it in a marina or other safe spot where you feel it necessary, with help from friends or someone local off the forum. You can get a good idea of the basics of lock operation etc. from the CRT boater's guide, and most other boaters you'll meet will be happy to explain things. I've never done the Wigan flight, but it has a reputation as one of the tougher ones; wide locks, quite a number of them, and perhaps not well maintained. You'll want someone reasonably strong and energetic with you for that.

It's probably best if you say when you're looking to get the boat moved; pretty soon I suppose?

On 31/08/2019 at 08:47, Tony Custard said:

Cheers.

I tracked him down on LinkedIn, messaged him. Although, I'm also waiting for a quote from a member on here that looks like they're got the experience and recommendations etc.

Ta

FWIW he’s a member here too:

• 1 month later...