Hugh Compton Collections (RCHS)

Heartland

Featured Posts

This is quite an extensive collection of images assembled by the late Hugh Compton, author of the Oxford Canal book (David & Charles).

This image is in =the negative collection (about 300 odd images). It shows the tug Speedwell, which appears to be on the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal passing a swing bridge. but id could equally be somewhere else. If it is the present Speedwell, now in private ownership, the history of this tug would be of interest no doubt.

41211.jpg

Edited by Heartland
  • Greenie 1

58 minutes ago, Heartland said:

But now a picture of Heron on the Grand Union can anybody advise the location.

40288.jpg

Berkhampstead lock 54. and looks like Jack Monk in command loaded with wood for delivery to one of several customers in the Midlands :captain:

edit = add lock number

Edited by pete harrison

Confirmed - 'Sweeps'. Sam & Gladys Horne lived in the cottage, though whether they were there when this shot was taken I don't know.

Might that be the HERON that was a Station boat, previously called CALEB? Possibly not.

Edited by Derek R.

4 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Thank you. I helped move her around in '79 when Alan Braby bought her. Had a full length cabin on back then and helped open my eyes to canal boats proper. Think it had a JP2 where the back cabin should have been.

Not a Lister JP2 but a Lister CE (2 cylinder - I have the engine serial number e.t.c.).

I believe HERON has the same cabin conversion and has been a house boat at Oxford since the mid 1980's :captain: 

On 31/08/2019 at 11:29, Heartland said:

But now a picture of Heron on the Grand Union can anybody advise the location.

40288.jpg

If I'm right that is the water point just outside the left hand front door.

The water point continued to be actually at the lock until at least into the mid 1970s, though I have no idea when it was finally removed.

OK for working boaters just filling a couple of cans, but far from ideal if a modern leisure boat wanted to fill its tanks with a hose.

I remember well the converted FMC motor Fox passing South through here in the early 1970s, towing Joe and Rose Skinner on Friendship.  I was able to chat to the Skinners for well over half an hour as Fox replenished its tanks. Once they had done so, Joe filled his can off the top of Friendship in secconds, and muttered something about now they could get going again!  It's a reminder of the difference between a working boater and a leisure boater that has remained firmly in my memory ever since.

5 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Not a Lister JP2 but a Lister CE (2 cylinder - I have the engine serial number e.t.c.).

I believe HERON has the same cabin conversion and has been a house boat at Oxford since the mid 1980's :captain: 

A CE it is then. I do remember re-skinning the cabin sides in ply, all of it both sides in Aylesbury basin sometime in the early eighties, and hauling out glass fibre wool - great fun. First work I had ever done on a boat, and not how I would tackle it today! But it got me into a good crowd. Alan later took on JAGUAR, and HERON was moved on.

9 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

If I'm right that is the water point just outside the left hand front door.

The water point continued to be actually at the lock until at least into the mid 1970s, though I have no idea when it was finally removed.

OK for working boaters just filling a couple of cans, but far from ideal if a modern leisure boat wanted to fill its tanks with a hose.

I remember well the converted FMC motor Fox passing South through here in the early 1970s, towing Joe and Rose Skinner on Friendship.  I was able to chat to the Skinners for well over half an hour as Fox replenished its tanks. Once they had done so, Joe filled his can off the top of Friendship in secconds, and muttered something about now they could get going again!  It's a reminder of the difference between a working boater and a leisure boater that has remained firmly in my memory ever since.

And how many words did Joe manage to speak? I seem to recall that Rose did most of the talking for both of them.

382559248_1967JoeRoseSkinner03.jpg.a0f1a07697ca3f1037cdcee59ce0ec92.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

• 2 weeks later...