Russel Newberry DM2 Difficult to get parts and arrange a fix ...for a newbie

Saani

Featured Posts

Hi sorry for so many posts feel a but like a cat chasing tail. Now I see an affordable boat I could add heating too but concerned engine might be out of my novice mechanical league and I’ve not heaps of money as is generally the case so are vintage engines ( im thinking this is one? ) a difficult and expensive option best avoided. Unless experienced and mechanically minded. I’ll post boat link and would appreciate any comments even if not engine related thanks.  I’ve gone round the houses and am back to a first pick .. put off by the reputation of marina but if I can use marine lawyer etc maybe. 

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/steelcraft-70-traditional/605970

Hi Saani,

Frankly that boat looks old and dirty, and half the value lies in that Russell Newbery. Had it been a noisy old air-cooled Lister the price would have been closer to £20k. 

RN are one of the few vintage companies still in existence so spares should not be too much of a problem provided you have deep pockets. 

I'm not sure how using a 'marine lawyer' would help you much dealing with Pillings, a business happy to stiff CRT (a charity) for several hundred £k. They wouldn't think twice about stitching you up given the chance, marine lawyer or not. 

Thank you for your input yes the boat is certainly in need of a refurb  and Yes about pillings I am very wary of them  and I must say deep pockets sounds ominous ...I was wondering if older engines expensive to fix. I’m just not sure I want to pay 20000 more for my next choice as built by Evan and sons and some of their hulls in the past have had issues, also think Alde gas central heating could be expensive as too the  diesel bubble stove as well as temperamental. Here’s the link if you’ve the patience and interest to look, thanks for your help!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again, deep pockets sounds worrying, I’ve seen another possible boat, with an RN DM2 but is the price differential really way too wide compared with other engines in the canal boat range of 40-50,000 range.? I will have money for upkeep but  not sure of earnings so need to be careful. And I’ve no idea really of comparative engines.