Possibly very silly question

NervousPervous

Featured Posts

I like the look of the Monmouth/Brecon canal, not least because of the dark skies but also because I really love Wales and feel drawn towards that destination over most others. However - how do you get there? My home mooring will be up north and I can't see a direct route as it appears to be closed at both ends? In that case do I have to get my boat freighted there?  If so, where would you recommend I cruise to and get lifted from?

Thanks all,

Meg

9 minutes ago, NervousPervous said:

I like the look of the Monmouth/Brecon canal, not least because of the dark skies but also because I really love Wales and feel drawn towards that destination over most others. However - how do you get there? My home mooring will be up north and I can't see a direct route as it appears to be closed at both ends? In that case do I have to get my boat freighted there?  If so, where would you recommend I cruise to and get lifted from?

Thanks all,

Meg

If you wish to cruise the Mon & Brec, I'd consider leaving your boat where it is and do it in hire boat. Just a thought. :)

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

There is no such thing as a silly question. 

The Monmouth and Brecon canal is not connected to the main network, so you would have to have your boat transported there, or buy one already there. 

How you get it there will largely depend on what type of boat you have. 

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, NervousPervous said:

I wonder do people ever do boat swaps? I wouldn't be able to afford holiday hire prices and I don't want to be limited to one canal - not to mention it's a really long way from where I want to be home based.

People are generally a bit paranoid about their boats and are convinced that strangers will not love and cherish the (cost a lot of money) batteries, and will put bleach in the toilet and if it is an electric toilet they will jam it up as well.  Not to mention scratching the blacking and paint.  However it works with share boats.

8 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Oh yes there is!   Its the one you didn't ask.  Any question you ask isn't silly.

That reminds me of this:

There are Known Knowns - the things we know we know

There are Known Unknowns - the things we know we do not know

There are Unknown Unknowns - the things we do not know we do not know

And the one Rumsfeld missed out:

There are Unknown Knowns - the things we know that we deny that we know

Haha...

1 minute ago, Chewbacka said:

People are generally a bit paranoid about their boats and are convinced that strangers will not love and cherish the (cost a lot of money) batteries, and will put bleach in the toilet and if it is an electric toilet they will jam it up as well.  Not to mention scratching the blacking and paint.  However it works with share boats.

Could the reason it works with share boats be that each share holder is paying towards the blacking painting etc.

12 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Yes I can understand that - I think if my boat was my home I'd be quite reluctant to do it unless I knew the other people really well.

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I understand the M&B is rather shallower than most other canals necessitating specially built hire boats. If I am correct the OPs boat may not be suitable even if they got it transported there.

I've done the Mon & Brec many times on hire boats.  In my view it is the most beautiful canal I've travelled.  But I am not aware of any special design requirements for hire boat draft.  I would guess that anything over 3 ft draft would struggle though. Being disconnected from the rest of the system means that there is a fixed maximum number of boats, even at the height of busiest season.

14 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

I've done the Mon & Brec many times on hire boats.  In my view it is the most beautiful canal I've travelled.  But I am not aware of any special design requirements for hire boat draft.  I would guess that anything over 3 ft draft would struggle though. Being disconnected from the rest of the system means that there is a fixed maximum number of boats, even at the height of busiest season.

When opened the Mon & Brec was built to 4 feet depth.

Over the years the depth reduced to 3 feet and the BW dredging specification was 0.9mts (35").

After a couple of MAJOR breeches, in 2007 BW stated that they could not maintain the dredged depths due to instability of the canal bed.

ie - if they dredged it it would probably leak.

There were, and still are, a number of leaks and the canal remains open just (by hanging on with its finger nails)

These days the depth rarely reached above 2' 6" and in places is down to 2'.

C&RT (on their website) claim the draught is 0.75m (2.46')

A few years ago we were looking at buying a hire boat company on the Mon & Brec and it was suggested to us that the boats had been custom built to suit the local conditions.

We decided that the future of the canal was not sufficiently 'Rosy' so did not proceed.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/08/2019 at 18:17, NervousPervous said:

There are Unknown Unknowns - the things we do not know we do not know

There is no such thing as the unknown - only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood.
There's no such thing as the unknown—only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understo

There's no such thing as the unknown—only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understthe

1 hour ago, The Dreamer said:
There is no such thing as the unknown - only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood.
There's no such thing as the unknown—only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understo

There's no such thing as the unknown—only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understthe

Well, that's life, the universe and everything sorted - just a case of being patient. Til then, we'll just have to accept 42.