Weed Hatch Designs

NervousPervous

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

Depends on what is stuck around the prop on how successful a cabin shaft is.

OK for weed etc, but useless on old tyres, a fertilizer bag which encapsulated the prop, and my latest prop foul, somebody's cratch cover.

All the above needed manual intervention with a knife.

Indeed, I did said try it first before sticking your hands down there. My thoughts were based on having to clear the prop of the BCNS/CCT ex-GU Atlas the other week. It recently had a weed hatch fitted through the counter and the top of the hatch sits quite a distance above the prop. Others above talk of similar designs being better for watertight integrity but harder to actually use. It’s far easier on such designs to stick the cabin shaft down first. It just seemed to me from comments above that using the shaft through the hatch wasn’t a thought that necessarily occurred to people. 

It’s second nature for me use the shaft because Vulpes doesn’t have a weed hatch and nor do some of the other historics I have boated on other than Atlas. 

Generally I think I can clear at least 90% of fouls using the shaft from the bank quicker than it would take if I had a weed hatch and used it. The other 10% are difficult though but only once in nearly four years have I actually had to get my hands wet and I’ve spent a lot of time on the BCN including all the nether reaches more than once.

JP

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/08/2019 at 17:54, adam1uk said:

Yes, this is true.  The weedhatch is a chute through the back deck and is not open to the engine hole.  Even if you left the plate off completely, water still wouldn’t get into the boat.  Another advantage is that access if fairly easy — but on the other hand you do need quite long arms to reach down there.

I have a G & J Reeves hull and the weed hatch is a similar design where any leakage goes down a shute above the rudder and none into the engine hole. Never had a problem reaching down to the prop, especially when I captured a long pipe fender when entering the bottom of of Grindley Brook staircase 3 weeks ago. Thos damn things should be banned or at least the boaters who leave them down in locks.

Edited by jam

I think you're worrying too much Meg.

Resist the temptation to overtighten the weed hatch. I stripped the thread on my clamp doing that. If it leaks slightly it's not an issue and it's not going to sink the boat, but you'll have to replace the seal if it gets worse. 

I've stuck one of these brass signs on top of my weed hatch.

Screenshot_20190910-044236~2.png

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, jam said:

I have a G & J Reeves hull and the weed hatch is a similar design where any leakage goes down a shute above the rudder and none into the engine hole. Never had a problem reaching down to the prop, especially when I captured a long pipe fender when entering the bottom of of Grindley Brook staircase 3 weeks ago. Thos damn things should be banned or at least the boaters who leave them down in locks.

The floating polypropylene line exacerbates the issue - with sinking line they'd be far less of a problem, although if no-one cruised with them down there'd be few parting company anyway. For some reason that's a losing battle though, so I'm just thankful that lovely@Mike the Boilerman goes around hoovering then up with his prop to make life better for the rest of us. :)

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

It would not be difficult to have an engine start cut off switch on the weed hatch lid. 

When you take the weed hatch lid off, put it somewhere safe and put/tie the boat engine keys to the hatch lid, that way you can’t start the engine without knowing the hatch is still off.  Simple is usually best.

28 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

When you take the weed hatch lid off, put it somewhere safe and put/tie the boat engine keys to the hatch lid, that way you can’t start the engine without knowing the hatch is still off.  Simple is usually best.

If I put my keys on the weed hatch cover I'm sure I'd forget and grab it from above while standing down in the engine hole, and my keys would drop straight through the weed hatch and into the water. Better to keep them in your pocket.

Edited by blackrose

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

If I put my keys on the weed hatch cover I'm sure I'd forget and grab it from above while standing down in the engine hole, and my keys would drop straight through the weed hatch and into the water. Better to keep them in your pocket.

In which case there is absolutely no danger of starting the engine with the cover open.

When we 'ad to go down t'weed 'atch, our mam would take t'engine out wi' 'er bare 'ands and bury it in a field. Then, she'd 'ang me upside down by t'ankles and I'd 'ave to chew t'weed off prop wi' t'teeth before I ran out of breath. Our dad would then thrash me wi' t'belt to warm me back up.  You try telling the kids of today that... They won't believe you!

Edited by Sea Dog
Spelling. Mam never had BEAR hands - that was Teddy.
  • Haha 1