Human waste.

Gerry underwood

Featured Posts

Just now, Detling said:

It can be an interesting topic of conversation to those in the cockpit, commenting on the quality of the object just discharged by the crew member down below.

It often is a subject of much debate, rumour has it that 'floaters' are due to an excess of Bran in the diet, you never get to see the 'sinkers'.

6 hours ago, sirweste said:

That rule exists across the whole system: They've divided the whole system into lengths and the rule they enforce is that you must shuffle from one km to a different km every 14 days (at least) and that you must have a total end to end of 32 of these kms in your 12 month period.

Though the rule isn't law, it does seem to keep folks moving about

This is off topic, sorry

It is not the law, but . . .  

The law says that CCs have to convince the Board that they are bona fide navigating. The ad hoc guidance is to tell boaters in advance what might or might not so convince them. But it is not binding on the Board anymore than it is on the boater. But if they are not 'convinced' then they are entitled by law to take action.

• Greenie 1

The "reasonable in the circumstances" bit could get quite interesting. 

---

(ii)the applicant for the relevant consent satisfies the Board that the vessel to which the application relates will be used bona fide for navigation throughout the period for which the consent is valid without remaining continuously in any one place for more than 14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances.

---

Edited by magnetman
Removed odd formatting error

18 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The "reasonable in the circumstances" bit could get quite interesting. 

---

(ii)the applicant for the relevant consent satisfies the Board that the vessel to which the application relates will be used bona fide for navigation throughout the period for which the consent is valid without remaining continuously in any one place for more than 14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances.

---

"I emptied the toilet over the side because my 14 days wasn't up so I didn't need to move, but the cassette was full"

More years ago than I care to remember (1977 actually) I was employed by WHO under an aid programme to Malta to improve the sewage outfall arrangements.  The raw sewage from the Capital Area had been piped to a location 2 miles south east of the Grand Harbour where it discharged at high tide level over the rocks and straight into the sea.  Unfortunately the prevailing current was towards the north west taking the diluted sewage back up the coast, past the Grand Harbour and onwards past the resorts of Sliema, St Julian's, St Paul's Bay and beyond.

The project involved laying an outfall on the sea bed to discharge the sewage at a depth of 45metres (chosen because this was the depth limit for conventional diving) and 500m from shore.  There was no suggestion that the sewage needed to be macerated, let alone treated, although it did pass through an Archimedes screw pump that helped to break it up.   It was assumed that by the time the stuff rose to the surface it would be sufficiently diluted.  Since then I believe the arrangements have been upgraded to meet EU standards.

The down side is that during the diving operations I got a chronic ear infection that left me with substantial hearing loss in one ear.

It is shocking that the UK has not eliminated the risks more than 40 years down the line.  Perhaps we are only concerned about meeting beach quality standards, and ignore river water quality.

4 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

The project involved laying an outfall on the sea bed to discharge the sewage at a depth of 45metres (chosen because this was the depth limit for conventional diving) and 500m from shore. 

Many years ago we used to enter sea-fishing competitions in Liverpool Bay., there would be a couple of hundred small boats getting launched at about 6:00am and then a mad rush to get about 1 mile offshore and be the first to the end of the sewage outlet - prime spot for Cod and Plaice who both like eating the arriving effluent.

It was a shame that many of the fish had deformities, scabs and all sorts of parasites, but that's the fun of fishing in the mouth of a 'commercial river' when every couple of hours a huge brown 'scummy' thing came floating down the river.

I have a vivid memory of floating human excrement making its way up the Rio Guadalete in el puerto de Santa Maria in Spain in 1992. It seemed odd that the products had not been reduced to smaller sizes. 

It was quite nasty actually. 

Many years ago I was chatting to a friend of mine who didn't like king prawns, he was then a member of the SBS and during a dive while abroad he and his mate were sat on the seabed underneath a yacht when someone aboard flushed the heads and a large turd slowly sank to the seabed, well it never reached the seabed because king prawns swarmed in and polished the lot off! He was put off eating them from that moment. 

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It often is a subject of much debate, rumour has it that 'floaters' are due to an excess of Bran in the diet, you never get to see the 'sinkers'.

Its not the floaters, bobbers or sinkers that creates the biggest debate,

Its the big brown cloud that creates most debate.

This is worth a read

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/uk.rec.waterways/r0bOljix91U/p6eQu_PPk04J

BillyBoy always had a way with words

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Its not the floaters, bobbers or sinkers that creates the biggest debate,

Its the big brown cloud that creates most debate.

This is worth a read

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/uk.rec.waterways/r0bOljix91U/p6eQu_PPk04J

BillyBoy always had a way with words

I think he is mixing up his buoyancy :

Distressing Scenario Number One.  FLOATERS are bodily outgoings that are negatively buoyant...………………..

(A negative buoyancy is a sinker - this is a problem I had when doing my diving certificates, I struggle to float as I am negatively buoyant)

On 20/02/2020 at 13:14, IanD said:

Canals are a different kettle of fish entirely, there is no overflow sewage discharge into them and water flow is negligible compared to any river, so the impact of a boat toilet is much worse and not hidden by other sources of crap -- discharge of black water should certainly be illegal in this case.

Remember this discussion (in another thread) ?

Post by Tony Brooks

"That's it, I suppose it all depends upon how much storm water Wolverhampton sewerage plant has to dump in the canal".

In the 1970s we kept a boat in a marina in Ibiza port (£300 per year then but more than that for a night now).   Not only did we flush into the harbour but it was joined by the town sewage outfalls, so the smell during summer was quite interesting.   Now our current Spanish marina even expects a grey water tank as well as the toilet one so these things change.   All the boats on French canals still discharge into the canal to join the output from fish and birds.

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wasn't aware that Spain had joined the 'grey water club'.

Are they using blue cards and keeping records of pump-outs like the Turks ?

It's rather a grey area.   It's in the official regulations including a requirement to seal any outlets, but nobody mentions it.

14 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

It's rather a grey area.   It's in the official regulations including a requirement to seal any outlets, but nobody mentions it.

Thank you.

There has been a rumour for many years that the EU will implement 'Grey Water Tanks' as mandatory, and in fact my cruiser was built with both black & grey tanks, even tho;' it was built in the UK (to make it 'future proof')

Turkey are particularly aggressive in enforcing the (their) rules and Greece are 'dipping their toe in the water', France seem to want to do it but cannot make up their mind.

From the RYA :

Turkey

Discharge of any kind may be considered illegal. A black water tank has therefore been a practical necessity in Turkey for many years. New rules have been coming into force in some areas of Turkey (such as the Mugla District) over the last few years which require vessels to carry a Blue Card. If the rules are enforced to the full all black and grey water will need to be collected and pumped out ashore; the Blue Card will be used to monitor the amount of waste water deposited ashore to ensure holding tanks are pumped out rather than emptied into the sea.  

Edited by Alan de Enfield

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

12 months since your last post and that's the best you can come up with.

Certainly wasn't worth waiting for.

why were you waiting? 

much more straightforward just to ignore - don't give 'it' the satisfaction of getting a reaction.