How to set a Mastervolt battery monitor?

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

Hi. Does anyone know how to reset a Mastervolt BTM-1 battery monitor please?

Or have a (working) download link for the manual? (I can't find it on their website)

Since my batteries were changed my monitor thinks there's only 10-11v in the new domestics even after charging them, that my solar panels are charging at only 11.58v and 3A (they charge at well over 12v but the 3A reading might be correct) and I've no idea whether it knows there's 440Ah capacity in the new battery bank. ?

3 hours ago, BlueStringPudding said:

Hi. Does anyone know how to reset a Mastervolt BTM-1 battery monitor please?

Or have a (working) download link for the manual? (I can't find it on their website)

Since my batteries were changed my monitor thinks there's only 10-11v in the new domestics even after charging them, that my solar panels are charging at only 11.58v and 3A (they charge at well over 12v but the 3A reading might be correct) and I've no idea whether it knows there's 440Ah capacity in the new battery bank. ?

You need to get a multimeter and measure the voltage at the volt measuring terminals of the BTM.  Then you will know if the BTM is reading correctly or low.

added - then tell us what the voltage is and we can discuss what to check next.

Edited by Chewbacka
  • Greenie 1

Thanks both. I've followed the manual's instructions and the meter is set up correctly. Unfortunately. I was hoping it would be an easy fix. That means it's either a wiring/shunt issue or a problem with one or more of the new batteries. I'm not in a position to go and measure the battery voltage(s) myself.

As there's a negative cable that needs crimping and it currently has a temporary fix,  I'll wait till that's repaired in a couple of weeks time before charging again and rechecking what the battery monitor says. I hope that cable is the only thing potentially causing the low voltage readings on the monitor. I'll report back and decide what to do next after that's sorted. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've very kindly had the loose earth connection repaired now (Thanks to a team effort by Bengo, MoominPappa and Tree Monkey), so it can be ruled out of the potential battery/monitor problems that have cropped up since having new batteries installed. But having just woken up at 4am and it's still dark outside, I flicked a light on to find that it was dimmer than it should be. So were some other lights.

So I checked the Mastervolt battery monitor and it's telling me the batteries are at 10.98v. Aaargh! The MPPT controller which only indicates battery voltage using a traffic light system however shows them to be on green so not as low as 10.98 (which would be an orange or red light). So I've got some contradictions here - not just that the Mastervolt controller says very low voltage and the MPPT controller says adequate voltage (It's dark outside so solar input isn't affecting that), but  also the fact that my cabin lights are dimmer than they should be. Something is not right.

I had good solar all day yesterday, relatively low power usage (4.6A × 4 hours tele, plus a small amount of water pump, lights usage/MiFi charging,  and I ran the engine all day the day before. That's for 4× 110Ah brand new batteries. I despair. Summit definitely isn't right. ?

20190920_040643.jpg

I wouldn't trust the solar traffic light. When you look at the common battery icon in the MT50, which several solar manufactures use, the battery icon full or empty is like a stopped clock it is occasionally correct but 90% of the time way out.  You need to get a multimeter to read the voltage at the battery terminals and soon or your new bank will be knackered. You can wreck a battery in days by undercharging, and it is unlikely you will see full capacity again.

On 20/09/2019 at 10:24, WotEver said:

What isolation switch do you have? Is it one of those nasty plastic ones with the removable red handle?

Methinks you have a poor connection somewhere. 

No, although I can't make out the type, it's appears to be a solid rotary type which has a good solid feel to its action.

The poor connection thing,  possibly but i can't find one and as I've reached the limit of my confidence with the wiring. I am at a bit of a loss