Trad boats with engine room : are they always vintage engines?

Saani

Featured Posts

Russell Newbery are still in existence and give the "vintage" engine effect in a new engine and between the company and the owners club have a very good support network. I have only needed one new part in my 32 year old engine and as I passed Hilmorton asked about it and David went down to the works, got said part and dropped it off to me at Newbold, not bad service

5 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

Russell Newbery are still in existence and give the "vintage" engine effect in a new engine and between the company and the owners club have a very good support network. I have only needed one new part in my 32 year old engine and as I passed Hilmorton asked about it and David went down to the works, got said part and dropped it off to me at Newbold, not bad service

RNs are prone to smoking though.

39 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

Some may, this is mine running quite fast up the Avon the other week

Video not working, but anyway the point is that these sorts of engines tend to smoke more at idle and under light load, than they do at high power.

Whereas we never ever see any smoke whatsoever from our Beta43, idle to full throttle, save for perhaps 1 second’s worth as it starts.

Edited by nicknorman

On 27/08/2019 at 08:36, nicknorman said:

Our tumble drier is ideal for drying wet clothes - and takes up a tiny fraction of the space. Of course having a modern engine makes it easy to generate the power needed to run the drier.

But biggest problem with an engine room is that in many cases, the prop shaft runs under the floor and thus the back cabin has to have a raised floor, reducing headroom massively.

But not with a hydraulic drive! I've got full headroom all the way back and more cupboard space from deck to ceiling to boot! ?

59 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

But not with a hydraulic drive! I've got full headroom all the way back and more cupboard space from deck to ceiling to boot! ?

So where did they put your fuel tank? Ours is the entire floor surrounding the engine so headroom suffers (but not in my case as I'm only 5'5" ?)

Edited by Stephen Jeavons

On 27/08/2019 at 07:25, Tony Brooks said:

No they are not all traditional engines, some have relatively modern tractor engines marinised by Beta but if you are going to (in my view) waste living space with an engine room you might as well put something in it that looks the part.  Having the engine in an engine room often makes maintenance easier sebaceous you can get all around it but if its old you should make sure spares are still  available because the last thing you need is to have to buy another engine because some vital part is either no longer available or is a prohibitive price because you have to have it made specially for you.

I would add that many do not have oil filters as standard, contain over a gallon of oil and require 100 hour oil changes. That can get expensive because nowadays the oil required is regarded as somewhat special (low or no detergentcy).

Try 5 gallons

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Video not working, but anyway the point is that these sorts of engines tend to smoke more at idle and under light load, than they do at high power.

Whereas we never ever see any smoke whatsoever from our Beta43, idle to full throttle, save for perhaps 1 second’s worth as it starts.

Odd it works when I press play.

My RN smokes a bit when cold and idling but as it warms up and is put under load when running as the  video shows it runs clean

20 hours ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

So where did they put your fuel tank? Ours is the entire floor surrounding the engine so headroom suffers (but not in my case as I'm only 5'5" ?)

Previous two boats had 600 litre tanks or thereabouts under the deck in the engine room, the last one also having a dedicated stern tank. Current boat however has a conventional tank at the stern but larger at 300 litres.

6 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Previous two boats had 600 litre tanks or thereabouts under the deck in the engine room, the last one also having a dedicated stern tank. Current boat however has a conventional tank at the stern but larger at 300 litres.

A 300 litre tank is larger than a 600 litre tank ?