Painting aluminium window frames.

Featured Posts

Time to bite the bullet and repaint my aluminium window frames. They are the powder coated ones, bits of which have left the aluminium.
I will remove them and repaint the cabin behind them at the same time.
My thoughts are to rub them down with wet and dry then spot prime any bare aluminium with hammerite special Metals Primer. Further rub down and overcoat with a traditional undercoat the. finish with black gloss.
I would welcome any thoughts, ideas and any better ideas than my own initial ones! :) Which undercoat and gloss? Spray or brush etc? Stainless screws rather than brass?
Many thanks for any thoughts.

Edited by Guest

Not familiar with 'hammerite special Metals Primer' and to lazy to Google it. But my experience with aluminum is that if you don't use an etching primer bare aluminum it it will just start to peel off.  I need to repair a car grill but just keep putting it off because of all the work it is going to take to do it right.

Yup, as above. Get all of the aluminium back to clean metal with a good roughness to it, then paint with etch primer. After that undercoat, gloss, lacquer or whatever you fancy. You can buy all that lot as aerosols if you prefer.