Boat sunk in Wharton's Lock, Bridge 108. Shropshire Union

IanD

Featured Posts

Indeed.....we don't know the details though. The other pictures on facebook suggest that the "hang up" was on the rudder or the metalwork underneath it, ie a thin area, not the full width of the baseplate or even a couple of feet (which would have kept it stable laterally but hung it up so the bow would have submerged). In fact its even possible the main bodywork of the boat was forwards of the cill (and the cill marker) but just the rudder - enough to not ping over, instead to tip the boat - hung up.

Regarding other suggestion of standardising the bollards nationwide - great in theory but probably not possible in practice; also, instead of simply having a "rule" eg put the centre line around bollard x, have an appreciation of the physics. For example, most centre lines will pivot around the roof - a few boats have a cleat on the gunwhale, but not many. If that's the case, then as it descend, what was a tight line initially will loosen because the angle upwards from bollard to boat will change to a horizontal. So, as a boat descends, the distance from centre line to bollard initially decreases, then increases again (so to keep a boat under control, you'd need to initially shorten the line, the let it out as it goes beyond the horizontal and descends further). Of course, this will vary according to how deep the lock is.

And yes, those locks have a bottom gate with a gap which a front fender can (and will) become lodged in. And remember they're broad locks, so if a boat were eg kept in gear, the front would find its way to the centre not one or other side of the lock. So the "rule" of always riding the front against the bottom gate when descending doesn't really work either. 

There isn't really a universal specific solution which can be applied to all locks but the general, if rather vague, rule of taking it steady and being aware of the different elements which can cause issues holds true. They were probably experienced boaters but never done that particular lock (in a narrowboat without sharing with another).

ETA it would be interesting to see if that boat, or the Canaltime fleet (I believe there's a few standard designs) have their rudder set up to come out with any significant upward force, or whether its secured in such that enough force to tip the boat in this way could be applied to the rest of the boat.

5 hours ago, Clodi said:

OK, I get the letting a bit of water out to get the gates closed,but surely if one's paying attention, the paddles can be quickly closed whilst the problem is rectified. I've seen lots of 'near misses' when the situation is caught in time and a bit of water slowly added to save the day.

These paddles have gearboxes and require many many turns to open of close them, if there is any head across them, ie. lock not fully empty they will not fall even if you try to assist by turning the output  spindle from the gearbox by hand. I know I have been in that situation.

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Never seen so many people stand about so quickly! :D

That didn’t show what the strops were attached to...perhaps just as well given the very dubious lifting practices involved in an engine change picture RCR posted on fb a while back. 

1 hour ago, frangar said:

That didn’t show what the strops were attached to...perhaps just as well given the very dubious lifting practices involved in an engine change picture RCR posted on fb a while back. 

Looked like the hand rails to me. Maybe the boat didnt sink being a canaltime with a sealed bow but just rolled over

Appeared to be attached to the port handrail, surprised it stayed on. Not the best treatment of a lifting strop on the sharp edges of the handrail upstands.

56 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Looked like the hand rails to me. Maybe the boat didnt sink being a canaltime with a sealed bow but just rolled over

54 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Appeared to be attached to the port handrail, surprised it stayed on. Not the best treatment of a lifting strop on the sharp edges of the handrail upstands.

I was more thinking the other end! 

I did wonder what the load rating on a canaltime handrail was tho! 

I was more thinking the other end! 

I did wonder what the load rating on a canaltime handrail was tho! 

Nothing on the front end, they just rolled it over on its stem post. It would still be a bit buoyant in the water, no doors on a canalslime

4 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Nothing on the front end, they just rolled it over on its stem post. It would still be a bit buoyant in the water, no doors on a canalslime

The orange strop looks like it’s under strain tho....I’m wondering if the anchor point on the bank was a bollard...if so they have more faith than I would have! 

29 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

With regards to the CanalTime boats not having front doors and therefore still have bouyancy at the front; do they have low level ventilation at the front that would let the water in? I thought it was a BSS requirement.

It is  (from the 2002 BSS)

It a requirement not a recommendation.

The recommended amount of ventilation depends on the number and type of appliances on board in accordance with the formula from British Standard Code of Practice PD 5482-3 i.e:

minimum effective area (mm2) = [2200xU]+[650xP]+[440xF] Where: U = total input rating (kW) for all appliances (including cookers) without flues F = input rating (kW) for all open or closed flue appliances P = number of people for which the compartment is designed

The input rating for your appliances can normally be found on the manufacturer's plate on the appliance and/or in the operating instructions. The ventilation requirements then need to be split equally between:

• high level (ideally cabin roof) and
  • as low as practicable.

Low level venting can be achieved by letting in cold air from vents in doors and/or bulkheads, or by means of ducting from a higher level.

Ventilators should be fixed open on boats which are exclusively used on inland waterways, however boats which go out to sea and are likely to experience severe weather conditions may have ventilators that can be closed for weathertightness. Where closable ventilators are used on your boat it's a good idea to make use of a warning notice close to every appliance, e.g. “Warning - open ventilator(s) before use”

Ventilation is mandatory for hire craft, but there is no requirement for it to be anywhere specific. 

Given the general layout of the Canal Time boats low level ventilation at the front would not be as low as if it were at the rear, so following the letter of the BSS for 'as low as practicable'  the low level ventilation should be at the back.

N