Boat sunk in Wharton's Lock, Bridge 108. Shropshire Union

IanD

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do this side, and then repeat in the next lock ensuring it 'falls over' the other way.

Surely it would have been quicker and easier to capsize it properly for blacking, it is in a wide lock after all? ?

Edited by cuthound
Clarification
  • Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Surely it would have been quicker and easier to capsize it properly for blacking, it is in a wide lock after all? ?

C'mon, put some thought into it - too far and the wine rack is at risk of an uncontrolled discharge! ;)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, frangar said:

The Facebook post says it was a hire boat that had been tied by the centreline and drifted back. All crew ok and were on the bank. I don’t recognise the livery tho....maybe canaltime?

I'm slightly sceptical about this, normally when descending the boat would be drawn forward by the water going out of the bottom gates. The only way I can think of how it happened is that it was tied back holding the stern against the top gates. There does seem to be a stern rope on in the picture.

Just now, Flyboy said:

I'm slightly sceptical about this, normally when descending the boat would be drawn forward by the water going out of the bottom gates. The only way I can think of how it happened is that it was tied back holding the stern against the top gates. There does seem to be a stern rope on in the picture.

I’m guessing the middle rope and middle bollard didn’t really line up and as the boat dropped it was pulled back by a tight rope. 

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

From the photo it could be argued that they were following the "keep boat forward of cill marker" instruction. 

I've always viewed these as problematic and asking for misinterpretation. 

keep-boat-forward-of-cill-marker-M05KX5.

Edited by magnetman

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

That is true, but these locks have a very high gearing on the gate paddles, it happened to me which is how I know, The water level is low enough to touch the cill before there is any great draw against the lower gate. I watched the boat going back, left the paddle and took the centre rope to draw it forward, so was fully aware and prepared for what was happening, I just pulled the rope as the ruder touched the cill, with both me and my wife winding down the paddles the boat was at a good angle by the time we had stabilised things and we both knew exactly what we were doing, no need for explanations etc.

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

From the photo it could be argued that they were following the "keep boat forward of cill marker" instruction. 

I've always viewed these as problematic and asking for misinterpretation. 

keep-boat-forward-of-cill-marker-M05KX5.

If you are looking back and read that notice there isnt a problem, just look at the number of people on the backs of boats looking forward watching their lock crew

• Greenie 1

I know those series of locks towards Chester very well, the locks don't particularly have any strong pull forwards or backwards going up or down, but they do put a strong sideways force on a boat (mainly going up), obviously with a single narrowboat using a broad lock this is an issue and demands proper boat placement and management. BUT the thing about that lock is its top gates are famously rubbish at staying closed. I tried to set it once (ie empty it, in readiness for going up) and I tried "the usual trick" of opening a paddle with the gate(s) open, then closing the gate and holding it so it will 'stick' closed with the difference in water level, I tried a couple of turns, then 1/3 open, then 1/2 open paddle with no success, eventually someone else came along and was able to hold the other gate shut (when you shut one, the other would swing open). So I could understand why it would need the boat left and two people off it to go down. Get the length or angle of the rope wrong and you will cill it.

Talking of bollards, it surprises me how different locks have different configurations. Some have 2 or 3, some just 1. Some have 1 in the centre, some are forwards of centre, some back of centre. Why not have all locks with 3 bollards, one directly in line with the top and bottom gates, one dead centre? Apart from the fact that consistency generally makes sense this would enable hire companies to send out specific instructions to hirers before they rock up, a bit of homework in advance, so to speak. Might save a boat or two, maybe even a life or two.  

13 hours ago, Paul C said:

ried a couple of turns, then 1/3 open, then 1/2 open paddle with no success, eventually someone else came along and was able to hold the other gate shut (when you shut one, the other would swing open). So I could understand why it would need the boat left and two people off it to go down. Get the length or angle of the rope wrong and you will cill it.

OK, I get the letting a bit of water out to get the gates closed,but surely if one's paying attention, the paddles can be quickly closed whilst the problem is rectified. I've seen lots of 'near misses' when the situation is caught in time and a bit of water slowly added to save the day.