Overnight moorings at Whaley Bridge

IanD

Featured Posts

Will be Cheshire Ring-ing next week, plan a midweek overnight stop in Whaley Bridge (for the Fryery and the Goyt Inn, as recommended). Visitor mooring near the junction looks scarce (canalplan says 2-3 boats), has anybody succeeded in mooring overnight at the wharf/winding hole (room for 2 boats) or is this always full?

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Will be Cheshire Ring-ing next week, plan a midweek overnight stop in Whaley Bridge (for the Fryery and the Goyt Inn, as recommended). Visitor mooring near the junction looks scarce (canalplan says 2-3 boats), has anybody succeeded in mooring overnight at the wharf/winding hole (room for 2 boats) or is this always full?

Your best bet is Bugsworth Basin. 15 to 20 minute walk into Whaley Bridge. The Navigation Inn is right by the upper basin.

21 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Your best bet is Bugsworth Basin. 15 to 20 minute walk into Whaley Bridge. The Navigation Inn is right by the upper basin.

I know, moored there last time. Wife's bad knee means the walk is not preferred...

15 minutes ago, frangar said:

It’s always been full when we’ve been there...technically You could top on the long term moorings on the towpath...they always have space.

Thanks, if we're only there overnight I wouldn't have thought anyone would object -- but you never know... ?

Most of the long term moorings round there are probably vacant, as nobody seems to be around in winter at least.  Opposite Tesco on the entrance to the basin often has spaces. I wouldn't worry too much around there.

It's 50/50 at the basin. Stuart the coal man claims a spot there as his own for 2 weeks out of every 4. If a boat is there when he arrives, he'll move it. If you can get in there it's a nice place to moor, nice and bright, very close to the chippy and pub. The visitor moorings opposite and the long term moorings are dark and dismal, are a cut through to Tesco and crime isn't unheard of. 

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

Thanks all, we'll try the basin regardless of what the notices say and hope Stuart isn't there ?

It strikes me as slightly bonkers that it doesn’t have better/more visitor moorings especially given how much space is given to vacant long term mooring. 

1 minute ago, frangar said:

It strikes me as slightly bonkers that it doesn’t have better/more visitor moorings especially given how much space is given to vacant long term mooring. 

Agreed, because it pushes overnight visitors to Bugsworth so Whaley Bridge loses out -- maybe the Navigation is paying somebody off? If necessary we'll moor on a long term mooring for one night, and if anyone (e.g. from CART) objects I'll ask them how long the boats have been on the 48h visitor moorings -- because I'll bet the answer is more than 48h...

• Greenie 1

There were no long term moorings vacant when we wanted to leave our boat at Whaley Bridge,  but one of the permitted moorers knew which moorings were vacant and, with his advice, we left our boat for two weeks on a vacant permitted mooring.