Meaford top lock, T&M

Neil2

Featured Posts

Meaford top lock is currently out of action, one of the bottom gates will not open.  According to those who have tried to contact CRT they will not attend until after bank holidays as it isn't classed as an emergency.  

8 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Meaford top lock is currently out of action, one of the bottom gates will not open.  According to those who have tried to contact CRT they will not attend until after bank holidays as it isn't classed as an emergency.  

Which is of course true. 

Bloody annoying but hardly an emergency.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You have a strange idea of what constitutes an emergency ?

Unless I was desparate for water or elsan I wouldn't consider it one but CRT might take a different view when the various companies start phoning. And I expect they have other numbers than the 0300 one we have.  Given how many hire boats are on that stretch especially with Canal Cruising probably having boats that are due back, they have more clout with CRT than it us 'ordinary' boaters do.

2 minutes ago, pearley said:

Unless I was desparate for water or elsan I wouldn't consider it one but CRT might take a different view when the various companies start phoning. And I expect they have other numbers than the 0300 one we have.  Given how many hire boats are on that stretch especially with Canal Cruising probably having boats that are due back, they have more clout with CRT than it us 'ordinary' boaters do.

Think Wheaton Aston lock, they had all the equipment on site for that stoppage and changed their minds

Meaford Top Lock has a history of August Bank holiday issues.

I went up there 2 years ago, one top paddle inoperable, and the other wasnt able to fill the lock faster than the damaged bottom cill leaked water out. 

The queues were in the 10s of boats. 

Only way of uphill passage was to run with boat in forward gear against top gate and chuck bucket fulls of silt and mud from the side ponds down the bottom gate ends.

Apparently, it became a full stoppage the next day when the top gate was lifted out of its cup.

After I posted we got two boats through then the gate stuck again as we tried to get through.  Same process, a lot of pushing shoving and raking and we got out in the end.  Someone had a message from CRT that a team were on their way, didn't stick around to see if they turned up or what the problem was.  Funny though, there was but one boat waiting coming up but maybe a dozen going down when we departed even though we were there a good two hours, maybe more.