WANTED: Lister JP Camshaft gear

tommylad

Featured Posts

I just wondered if anyone can help me source the 22 tooth bevel gear fitted to the end of JP camshafts?

I'm hoping to mount a jabsco pump where the marine water pump is located (driven off the camshaft gear) and I think the best way to drive it is with another camshaft gear which meshes with the existing.

The manual gives '10-2-341' as the part number for the set of three gears, and the actual gear I'm after is stamped '81F34'

Many thanks!

20190824_110032.jpg.326134cd8cfb759cc7bdffb18462fd68.jpg

Camshaft bevel gear.JPG

If not Richard at MES then maybe Marine Power Services

Failing that HPC gears will make you one for a reasonable price, but will need the existing one to measure.  That would offer the opportunity to select the number of teeth in the new one and so select the best speed for your new Jabsco.

N

Many thanks for the replies so far!

I've contacted Tony Redshaw, and hopefully Richard will see this post :) I've also contacted Sleeman and Hawken just in case they have some...

Frangar - yes, this is just what I'm hoping to do :)

7 hours ago, tommylad said:

Many thanks for the replies so far!

I've contacted Tony Redshaw, and hopefully Richard will see this post :) I've also contacted Sleeman and Hawken just in case they have some...

Frangar - yes, this is just what I'm hoping to do :)

The jabsco pump used is the same as fitted to a Perkins 4108. The model number is 3270-200 if it helps. The only thing I do is fit a new impeller every couple of years as a precaution. When stopping the engine I lift the decompressors just before it stops to stop it rocking and tearing an impeller....a tip given to me by the late great Tim Leech. 

• Greenie 1

On 27/08/2019 at 20:22, frangar said:

The jabsco pump used is the same as fitted to a Perkins 4108. The model number is 3270-200 if it helps. The only thing I do is fit a new impeller every couple of years as a precaution. When stopping the engine I lift the decompressors just before it stops to stop it rocking and tearing an impeller....a tip given to me by the late great Tim Leech. 

I've already bought a pump (23430-1201) which I'm hoping to drive through a one-way clutch https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Sprag-Clutch-Bearings/CSK30-Budget-Sprag-Clutch-Bearing-without-Keyways-137633-p which will protect the pump from counter rotation :)

Its not that gear you need, if you use one of those the centreline of the pump wont line up with the centreline of the mount hole. What you need is the gear that is on the piston water pump assembly which has less teeth (cant remember how many off the top of my head), this is what we use when retrofitting a pump to an engine that is in one peice. Or you can do it the way we do when doing a recon but this does envolve removing the front cover of the engine and removing the injector pump drive shaft and modifying it by adding an extension shaft added into the end of the gear. Incidentally this is the way Lister drove the air start valving on an air start JP

Edited by martyn 1
typo's......

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2019 at 10:39, martyn 1 said:

Its not that gear you need, if you use one of those the centreline of the pump wont line up with the centreline of the mount hole. What you need is the gear that is on the piston water pump assembly which has less teeth (cant remember how many off the top of my head), this is what we use when retrofitting a pump to an engine that is in one peice. Or you can do it the way we do when doing a recon but this does envolve removing the front cover of the engine and removing the injector pump drive shaft and modifying it by adding an extension shaft added into the end of the gear. Incidentally this is the way Lister drove the air start valving on an air start JP

Many thanks for this Martyn, although I'm afraid it leaves me very confused!

I'm reasonably confident that the fuel pump shaft is concentric with the opening (see below piccie). Also, both the camshaft and fuel pump bevel gears (which mesh) have 22 teeth, therefore they must have the same PCD, so therefore if I was to use another 22 tooth 'camshaft' gear running off the existing camshaft gear, how is it possible it would go off-centre?

Sorry to question this point, but I'm quite keen to understand it before spending any money on a new gear!

It's interesting to learn they drove the air start off the fuel pump gear - I must say I was surprised and disappointed when I first removed this cover to find that there wasn't a drive dog already incorporated into this gear! (that would've been too simple!) 

20190915_125357.jpg