Shoreline fridge advice

Scouterdan

Featured Posts

Currently moored at the IWA water festival and we’re having fridge issues. Our Shoreline fridge has stopped cooling, inside light is functioning but the red led is solidly on. The manual talks about flashing led in various timings but doesn’t mention a solid led light in the trouble shooting does anyone have any ideas? Batteries were all changed in May and are charging correctly, very stumped on what to do next

2 minutes ago, Scouterdan said:

Currently moored at the IWA water festival and we’re having fridge issues. Our Shoreline fridge has stopped cooling, inside light is functioning but the red led is solidly on. The manual talks about flashing led in various timings but doesn’t mention a solid led light in the trouble shooting does anyone have any ideas? Batteries were all changed in May and are charging correctly, very stumped on what to do next

It sounds like an 'under voltage' situation.

How do you know they are charging correctly ?

What battery monitoring equipment do you have ?

How many hours per day do you charge the batteries ?

Can you check what voltage you have  ?

1) Across the battery terminals

2) At the fridge terminals.

Now repeat it with the engine running.

You should now have 4 voltage readings.

Come back here and post the results.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It sounds like an 'under voltage' situation.

How do you know they are charging correctly ?

What battery monitoring equipment do you have ?

How many hours per day do you charge the batteries ?

Can you check what voltage you have  ?

1) Across the battery terminals

2) At the fridge terminals.

Now repeat it with the engine running.

You should now have 4 voltage readings.

Come back here and post the results.

Thanks for replying so quick, don’t have a voltmeter with us at the moment typically sitting on my table at home. 

Have attached a couple of set up images. I think I’m going to wander down the tow path to see if anyone has one so I can test.

image.jpg

image.jpg

If the IWA are still limiting engine running on moorings two hours twice a day and your images show the engine running for charging then it needs revving up. Always charge at well above tick over. If the engine is not running in the photos then I would suggest the instruments can not be relied upon.

If the IWA are still limiting run times then flat batteries are the most likely explanation. If you start the engine and give it some revs so the ammeter registers 10s of amps then it may cure itself. You will probably have to run for far longer than the IWA used to allow.

18 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If the IWA are still limiting engine running on moorings two hours twice a day and your images show the engine running for charging then it needs revving up. Always charge at well above tick over. If the engine is not running in the photos then I would suggest the instruments can not be relied upon.

If the IWA are still limiting run times then flat batteries are the most likely explanation. If you start the engine and give it some revs so the ammeter registers 10s of amps then it may cure itself. You will probably have to run for far longer than the IWA used to allow.

The water temp gauge is showing 'no' temperature so I'm not sure that the engine is even running (or maybe just started) and oil pressure is only 20psi.

My boat was wired up with ammeters showing the 'discharge' rate rather than the charge rate (not really very useful) I wonder if the OPs could be the same ?

Its really all speculation until he comes back with more information.

If there’s still a WRG compound at the festival, you could try going there and asking nicely if someone could give you some advice. Certainly in my day there would always be a few wrgies about with expertise with boat and vehicle mechanics. If someone from there can sort you out, a donation of cash to the WRG funds and/or cans to the wrgies would be appropriate.

Thanks for all your help guys, it turns out the the pressure in the fridges system was unbalanced so turning all the electric off for 10mins reset it and now the fridge is working like a dream 

thanks especially for the tip on keeping the revs up while charging, it’s the first time we have ever charged while stationary we haven’t really stopped anywhere longer than a day before so have always charged while on the move. 

The engine had just been started when the picture was taken so hadn’t had time to heat up, was just to show what were working with. Anyways thanks for the suggestions were still getting to know her so any advice is all good