BACAT symbol. (photo)

NB Esk

Featured Posts

Hi PD1964,  you beat me to it.  We were there at about 1030 and took the attached pictures.  The image Ray (Heartland) posted is a bit deceptive because it flattens out the two curves in the line of houses/cottages.  I spent from 1973 to 1979 driving coaches regularly in that area and am still familiar with that area and what was the old Doncaster Road bridge.

The original image is from 1974/75 and the erection of a pumping station, a new bridge, and 45 years of tree planting and growth make a 'before and after' feature impossible.  My first picture shows Pastures Road from its junction with Doncaster Road, at the bottom of the old bridge with the tyre depot building as previously mentioned at the foot of the old bridge.

My second image from the south bank is similar to one of yours.  You can see the vehicles parked on the old bridge approach and a bit of parapet wall below the trees.

Ray - I am now 100% certain it is Pastures Road Mexborough and PD1964 agrees.

Mexborough-1.JPG

Mexborough-2.JPG

• Greenie 1

The one next to he image on the collection ref 41155 appears to be the same place. And so it is Pastures Road, thank you.

There are a whole group of 35 mm negs that were scanned, many identifiable, but quite a few not.  Will create another post for those interested.

41155.jpg

Edited by Heartland
  • Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The one next to he image on the collection ref 41155 appears to be the same place. And so it is Pastures Road, thank you.

There are a whole group of 35 mm negs that were scanned, many identifiable, but quite a few not.  Will create another post for those interested.

41155.jpg

Please do as it’s good to see old views of the S&SY as most of the old Wharfs are now gone, replaced by new housing, further up the canal towards Waddingtons  there using every piece of canal side for new homes, changing the scenery weekly.

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

41155.jpg

Yes, same spot.  The location is the north bank of the canal and also north of the River Don, so the coal is probably from Cadeby Colliery which was on the north bank.  The site is now an educational centre which follwed on from the doomed Earth Centre of the 1990s.

On 29/08/2019 at 22:30, PD1964 said:

A link to an interesting old film of the S&SY

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/rotherham-seaport-town

Thank you for that film, it's fabulous. I've walked from Sheffield Basin to the bottom of the locks a few times this year (and once to Rotherham) and could recognise a few bits. Good to be able to place the Tinsley towers too, I could never quite work out where they were in relation to the canal.

17 hours ago, Chertsey said:

Thank you for that film, it's fabulous. I've walked from Sheffield Basin to the bottom of the locks a few times this year (and once to Rotherham) and could recognise a few bits. Good to be able to place the Tinsley towers too, I could never quite work out where they were in relation to the canal.

Liked the way they left gates open and paddles up, obviously the practice at the time as the top paddles had also been left up. Pity no sound.

• 1 year later...

Whilst the BACAT barges survived for other uses, the scheme when introduced is also a topic for discussion. That the dockers at Hull objected to the use of these craft has become a point of history to note. What would have happened had they had not acted in the way they did and the service went into regular use,

I suppose in a post Brexit World the method of barges working would have been a problem for the negotiators, but would the BACAT barge system benefitted the UK in the long term?