BACAT symbol. (photo)

NB Esk

Featured Posts

Could anyone confirm what the BT (or BOT) stands for, as seen on the side of a BACAT barge.  Assuming the horizontal bar is a load line but what's the lettering?

Not really right for British Transport and too late anyway.  Board of Trade?  Like to find out, thanks.....

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

My fading understanding is that the mark you refer to is the mark of the 'classification society' that inspects and certifies the vessel for use.

The round mark with L and R either side would be LLoyds Register,  B an V either side Bureau Veritas etc..

Could be a Dutch or Scandnavian society

• Greenie 1

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

When they were working who was responsible for Plimsoll/load lines? I have a feeling it maywell have been the Board of Trade.

Yes it was.  Took some finding in an old book as it's been obsolete for years!

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=w-s8AAAAIAAJ&lpg=PA41&ots=g2zflnA7xT&dq=classification society load line BT&pg=PA41#v=onepage&q=classification society load line BT&f=false

• Greenie 1

Great answers, thanks to all.  My Board of Trade suggestion was a guess but now looks good.  Thanks again.....

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I also found this while looking:
bacat2005swintonsm.jpg

At Swinton in 2005 were these two 'boxy' looking tugs, FREIGHT TRADER & FREIGHT PIONEER, which have a rather sad history.

http://www.deuchars.org.uk/hiwb/boatgallery/workboat.htm

Presumably long since cut up, that space now occupied by tug JUMSEY.

57 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The BT either side of the circle might have been the guide marker to make a hole for a''Bow thruster'', Only they realized at the the last minute that it was miles too high up. :giggles:

I thought when they changed their minds about bowthrusters they crossed out the circle:

Hull-Markings.jpg

On 24/08/2019 at 16:18, NB Esk said:

Just for interest, Tug JUMSEY on the shelf....

IMG_0206.JPG

And just a few months back...

IMG_0237.JPG

Sad pictures of what many will remember as Geoff Wheat's boat.

7 hours ago, DRP said:

Sad pictures of what many will remember as Geoff Wheat's boat.

Indeed, one of the finest formed hulls I've seen.  Even though it's been overplated it's a work of art.

IMG_0242.JPG

15 hours ago, Heartland said:

BACAT on the Sheffield & South Yorkshire, I believe- can somebody confirm

This is from the RCHS Hugh Compton Collection ref 41156 

41156.jpg

I'm high 90s percent certain that this is SSYN at Pastures Road Mexborough.

The building on its own, with white gable end and sliding doors, was next to the old bridge on the Doncaster Road before various changes, including a higher bridge, were made when the navigation was enlarged in 1980s.  The building used to be a tyre depot.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

I’m passing along the S&SY now, have saved this photo to try and match a landmark, I’ve not seen these houses close to the canal, so will try with landmarks over the next couple of days.

Thanks for checking my memory.  The houses gradually curve away from the canal. Remember the canal was changed extensivlyin 1980/81, widened, banks piled and some straightening.  The north bank now has a pub/hotel on it plus industrial buildings and caravan storage.  The road beyond the row of houses now has modern housing on it.  The big clue is the tyre depot building, still there and still doing car repairs.  HS2 is planned to cross the canal at the point shown in the photo. 

I'll try to find a chance to drive down there tomorrow, it's not a business I know.  I did commute sheffield to doncaster for 20 years and the trains used to run via the 'Great Central' on the canal/river bank through Kilnhurst.  I do not recall a row of house like that.  They were more in blocks. Plusthe pit buildings and yard, transport yards, and the Thomas Hill locl works.

2 hours ago, Grebe said:

I'll try to find a chance to drive down there tomorrow, it's not a business I know.  I did commute sheffield to doncaster for 20 years and the trains used to run via the 'Great Central' on the canal/river bank through Kilnhurst.  I do not recall a row of house like that.  They were more in blocks. Plusthe pit buildings and yard, transport yards, and the Thomas Hill locl works.

A link to an interesting old film of the S&SY

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/rotherham-seaport-town