Approximate boat weight??

BTR69

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

You might.
A lot depends on the distance the crane is from where the boat is. Remember at school studying "Moments" in physics?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/ztjpb82/revision/1

Yes of course I understand all that and don't need the o-level physics revision, but the point is that most yards will place their crane in a location where it's going to be efficient and therefore in most cases you won't need a 100 tonne crane for an 16-18 tonne narrowboat.

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I remember a lesson on electromagnetism where my physics teacher (who I saw again last year) was talking about couples having their impulsive moments in fields. Cue some sniggering, which he expected.

when I worked in the pipeline industry we used to get the pig into the trap by dogging it in with a cat. .........................  all perfectly true and using (what was then) perfectly acceptable language that would not have raised eyebrows at a board meeting.

make of that what you will.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Murflynn said:

when I worked in the pipeline industry we used to get the pig into the trap by dogging it in with a cat. .........................  all perfectly true and using (what was then) perfectly acceptable language that would not have raised eyebrows at a board meeting.

make of that what you will.

I use to get them out in bits

11 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Can I further complicate matters by asking (assuming we ignore America) are we talking British long ton or British short ton or EU tonne as they are all different weights!

The difference between a British ton and a tonne is 40 pounds, so less than 20kg so doesn’t really matter.  However for displacement calculations where one cubic meter weighs 1000kg - that is a metric tonne.

1 hour ago, canalboat said:

Can I further complicate matters by asking (assuming we ignore America) are we talking British long ton or British short ton or EU tonne as they are all different weights!

And should also allow for temperature,  as the  density of water varies. Not a significant effect...

10 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

And should also allow for temperature,  as the  density of water varies. Not a significant effect...

perhaps we need to do the lifting at standard atmospheric pressure, just to make sure the relevant factors are all under control.............  please don't try to lift with a 100 tonne crane on top of Everest.  :banghead:

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

The difference between a British ton and a tonne is 40 pounds, so less than 20kg so doesn’t really matter.  However for displacement calculations where one cubic meter weighs 1000kg - that is a metric tonne.

2 hours ago, canalboat said:

I assume a short ton is American, i.e. 2000lbs

Edited by nb Innisfree
Cock up