Cleaning/removing diesel soot from inside of a locker

jetzi

Featured Posts

I have a locker through which a leaking silencer runs. It is caked in a layer of soot built up over many many months.

I'm replacing the exhaust this weekend. Before I fit the new silencer I want to clean out the locker and give it a good coat of Danboline while I have easy access.

Any recommendations for cleaning diesel soot in an environmentally friendly way? My thinking is to attach buckets to the scuppers with pieces of hose and give it a liberal scrub down with white spirit.

After that wash with hot soapy water (fairy liquid). Then take the buckets to an oil disposal point. Angle grind any rust. Then two coats of Danboline.

Any suggestions?

Anyone know how to find my closest oil disposal point? I'm in Uxbridge, Middlesex at the moment.

Mrs Rusty swears by white vinegar. Dunno if it is good on soot though. Don't forget to sweep up. 

Any good. Approx 1 mile from canal. Though you may need ID. 

Harefield Household Re-use and Recycling Centre

Or could try Uxbridge boat centre or Harefield marina. 

6a00e54eff27048834017c378a7f37970b-pi.jpg

Edited by rusty69

28 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Mrs Rusty swears by white vinegar. Dunno if it is good on soot though. Don't forget to sweep up. 

Any good. Approx 1 mile from canal. Though you may need ID. 

Harefield Household Re-use and Recycling Centre

Or could try Uxbridge boat centre or Harefield marina. 

Their website says "Note: Access is strictly restricted to Hillingdon residents with their HillingdonFirst card OR an acceptable proof of residence in the borough".

I could try Uxbridge boat centre, would marinas and boatyards take oils that weren't produced from works done at their yard? Any idea what the charge ought to be? I'll give them a call later if not. Thanks!

Scrape it out first.  Tip soot with fire ashes.

Then, 

Before using white spirit try a HOT strong (250g+ in 2.5 l)  solution of washing soda, which you can buy from a supermarket for about a quid a packet.

Wear rubber gloves as it is a mild alkalli.

Then follow up with sugar soap.  From a DIY shed. 

Neither will do any harm down a drain, with the soot.

N

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Is this bicarbonate of soda or what?

No, washing soda crystals. Usually comes in a mini-version of a washing powder carton but packaging can change. These days I think you may stand more chance of finding it at a local ironmongers.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

No, washing soda crystals. Usually comes in a mini-version of a washing powder carton but packaging can change. These days I think you may stand more chance of finding it at a local ironmongers.

Ah interesting. Washing soda is Sodium Carbonate ( Na2CO3 ) while Baking Soda is Sodium Bicarbonate ( NaHCO3 ).

I haven't ever seen "washing soda" at a supermarket but then again, I haven't looked. I'll see if I can find some, thanks for the tip.

10 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Is this bicarbonate of soda or what?

If you can't find washing soda you can convert sodium bicarbonate in to it by heating in an oven. It's a good cleaner, but nasty on the hands and largely replaced by other detergents that are active at much lower temperatures. It is why our great grandmothers spent their Mondays boiling clothes in a big tub. That and all the coal smoke that made the clothes filthy in the first place.

Jen

3 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Ah interesting. Washing soda is Sodium Carbonate ( Na2CO3 ) while Baking Soda is Sodium Bicarbonate ( NaHCO3 ).

I haven't ever seen "washing soda" at a supermarket but then again, I haven't looked. I'll see if I can find some, thanks for the tip.

I did find it in Tesco once...

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/285047163?sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*PX+|+Shopping+GSC+|+All+Products+%2B+Tesco+Brand*New:+Non-Food:+Home+%26+Entertainment:+Household*PRODUCT_GROUP285047163*&ds_rl=1116019&ds_rl=1116016&ds_rl=1116019&gclid=CjwKCAjwnf7qBRAtEiwAseBO_L_DPjdlFo75wXZyCOFr2Z0SnlxANmMRBJVBH9LT7FrIctat4mVCSRoCfowQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I would get a box of Brillo pads, the steel wire will abrade and loosen the soot, whilst the pink detergent they are impregnated with will attack the unburnt hydrocarbons that is bonding the soot to the surface.  This will also loosen rust and abrade the sound paint ready for painting.

Or a stainless steel scouring pad and some oven cleaner, obviously following the instructions.

1 hour ago, ivan&alice said:

And diesel soot mixed with washing soda is OK in the cut?? ?

I originally suggested you put it down the drain, where no harm will come to anything and the washing soda might even slightly reduce a fatberg. 

However, all that soot should have ended up in the cut in the first place had there not been a hole in the silencer.

N

3 minutes ago, BEngo said:

I originally suggested you put it down the drain, where no harm will come to anything and the washing soda might even slightly reduce a fatberg. 

However, all that soot should have ended up in the cut in the first place had there not been a hole in the silencer.

My drains all drain into the cut ?

However I could put it into a stormwater drain, if that's what you're suggesting? Or an elsan?

I want to do the Right Thing ™ here but not really sure what that is. I realise it could involve some cost / inconvenience...

13 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

My drains all drain into the cut ?

However I could put it into a stormwater drain, if that's what you're suggesting? Or an elsan?

I want to do the Right Thing ™ here but not really sure what that is. I realise it could involve some cost / inconvenience...

I would be finding some other bod to do it for me!! You state it could involve some cost. Soot is bloody orrible mucky stuff to get off you when youve finished. Some things are better paid out for. 

31 minutes ago, mad dog n' Englishman said:

Remember to fully charge batteries before you start. This job could well leave you unable to run engine for 3 days. Can't remember if a generator is available. 

Yeah. And no hot water, so will be kettle baths for us. In fact this is why I am doing it over the long weekend. I don't have a genny and I only have 1x 110 Ah battery. But I won't be running anything other than my fresh water pump and a couple of LEDs, so my battery is just going to have to suck it up for the weekend.

6 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

could try Uxbridge boat centre, would marinas and boatyards take oils that weren't produced from works done at their yard? Any idea what the charge ought to be? I'll give them a call later if not. Thanks!

Sorry no idea. 

11 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

Ound shop, I'll let you guess the price https://www.poundshop.com/soda-crystals-1kg.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwnf7qBRAtEiwAseBO_LgPsn8VtbpTV2i6vzz4DI6Z9sv7XZ9m0feKL5vlqUxje1BbJxiTmhoCvnkQAvD_BwE