Boat movements

Drayke

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Presumably you're not from round these parts then?

I think Napton to Braunston is reputed to be one of the busiest, if not THE busiest, stretches of canal in the country. Certainly nearby Hillmorton has the busiest locks.

I would think only the depths of winter would see as few as 12 boats along there.

Lots of marinas in the area and lots of hire bases.

No. Spent our time on the Thames and K&A. First time up this way. Quite a few old boats moving, so nice to see and hear them.

cruising through a busy braunston is a pain the other day we cruised about two hours without seeing another moving boat until gayton where 6 in a row all came past around the twistys. 

Edited by bramley

Doing Banbury to Alvecote over the last four hot days it was indeed busy most of the time, especially in the afternoons. People seem either not to realise that it's wise to move early or late in the day when it's cooler, or not to want to adapt their daily schedule to do that. We just kept going using most of the daylight because we had a journey to get done.

For the maximum number of boats moving per hour you really need certain parts of the Thames on a summer weekend, some narrow boats, lots of GRP boats of all sizes, rowers, canoes and sundry other small boats. Plus the occasional big passenger boat or swimmer to liven things up more.

On 26/08/2019 at 11:55, bramley said:

cruising through a busy braunston is a pain the other day we cruised about two hours without seeing another moving boat until gayton where 6 in a row all came past around the twistys. 

They must all work for London buses.

Bank Holiday Monday was amazing on the Selby Canal.  I saw 4 boats on the move!   Mind you, when I went to the pub, the barmaid very nicely came out and said " Just to let you know, lovey, we close at seven on a bank holiday".  WTF?

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

10 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Bank Holiday Monday was amazing on the Selby Canal.  I saw 4 boats on the move!   Mind you, when I went to the pub, the barmaid very nicely came out and said " Just to let you know, lovey, we close at seven on a bank holiday".  WTF?

Probably code for an all nighter! ?