Tiller Trouble!

Paul Ches

Featured Posts

Can anyone advise please? The tiller on our 45 footer has suddenly gone very heavy when pushing tiller over to starboard (bow to port). It suddenly happened without being aware of hitting anything. On the day I put it down to strong sidewind but it's been the same ever since. Have to really put you weight i to steering. Tiller also seems slightly off centre when going straight. Weed hatch is clear and rudder too, so far as I can tell. Any advice appreciated! 

Sounds to me like you have lifted it out of the cup? Did you sill it or go astearn a little heavy and force the rudder upwards on the bank or something?? Its easy to knock it out. Also usualy fairly straightforward to put back in.

3 minutes ago, Paul Ches said:

Can anyone advise please? The tiller on our 45 footer has suddenly gone very heavy when pushing tiller over to starboard (bow to port). It suddenly happened without being aware of hitting anything. On the day I put it down to strong sidewind but it's been the same ever since. Have to really put you weight i to steering. Tiller also seems slightly off centre when going straight. Weed hatch is clear and rudder too, so far as I can tell. Any advice appreciated! 

If the bottom of the rudder has lifted out of its cup, and dropped to one side, it could be difficult to turn one way, but not necessarily the other.

Can you get your hand right down to the bottom of the rudder and its 'swivel' point ?

InkedCAM00050_LI.jpg

Alternatively, I've had a springy branch trapped against the rudder and the swim do this. It was out of the way of the prop and gave the symptoms you describe. Could be hard to spot through the weed hatch if the water is murky. Most likely it has been lifted out of the cup as others have described, but this is also a possibility.

Jen

• Greenie 1

Thanks a lot to all three of you. Really helpful. Sounds like tiller might have lifted out of the cup!

So I'll explore further asap. I'm back home in Wales now, and it'll be  2 or 3 weeks before I get back to the boat, but I'll take a look and comment further then.

Thanks all, Really appreciate the tips!

Paul

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Slim said:

Saw a hire company sort the problem a couple of years ago. Guy turned up with a ladder and a pair of chest waders. 5 minutes, job sorted. Impressed.

Its the luck of the draw, I followed a hire boat up the locks on the Mac who had his rudder out of the cup. I stood on the back deck, but a shoulder under the swan neck and in it popped. hero of the day. I bet I couldn't do it again