Buying boat from Pillings lock marina

Saani

Featured Posts

Hi there I’d appreciate any feedback regarding anyone’s experience buying a boat from Pillings lock marina on brokerage. I’ve seen one I’d like but am wary regards honesty, due to posts regarding crt fees unpaid etc. Thanks  in advance and greetings to the forum.

Lots of other brokerages in the midlands if you are looking for a boat, can't say whether it would be a good or bad idea to purchase from pillings, but they have a very dubious history and I would not touch them if  I'm honest.

It is your dream boat you are buying, not the marina.

Make sure you have an independent survey.

If the boat needs work, have it done elsewhere if possible.

If something looks or smells wrong, walk away and look for another dream boat.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Bod said:

Exactly which Brokerage firm is involved with the sale?

Many Marinas do not sell directly, but allow Brokers to do the "deal".

Bod

ABNB used to sell boats and car parking spaces  through Pillings, not sure if they still do.

It appears they do

https://www.abnb.co.uk/submenupages/with-mooring.html

Edited by matty40s

The thing to beware of is their track record of amorality in business. 

The boat might be fine but inspect it carefully, they are NOT gonna tell you about any negatives about it. Then make sure your money is well protected. FInd out exactly who the owner is and pay them for the boat, not the marina.

If Pillings take your money, hand over the boat but don't pay the owner, you will end up in an unholy legal mess and in all likelihood lose the boat and your money.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The thing to beware of is their track record of amorality in business. 

The boat might be fine but inspect it carefully, they are NOT gonna tell you about any negatives about it. Then make sure your money is well protected. FInd out exactly who the owner is and pay them for the boat, not the marina.

If Pillings take your money, hand over the boat but don't pay the owner, you will end up in an unholy legal mess and in all likelihood lose the boat and your money.

Completely agree. Brokerages own nowt, they are just estate agents that keep prices up where possible and invest zero money in the boat. This boat was up at a brokerage. I met the actual owner of it at the brokerage as part of the arrangement having spoken face to face with them. If its a good boat then its a good boat, if not,  its not relevant where it is being sold. There is another much maligned brokerage on here from whom my bro in law bought a first class boat from several years ago.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

ABNB used to sell boats and car parking spaces  through Pillings, not sure if they still do.

It appears they do

https://www.abnb.co.uk/submenupages/with-mooring.html

Dealing with ABNB, you should be ok, boat wise they have a good reputation to keep.

But as others say, be very very careful of Pillings Lock.  Especially the carpark leases, I would not advise anybody to enter into a long term agreement.

Bod

I really do not understand the thinking behind some of the above posts. If I knew that a business, albeit one that had changed name / declared old names bankrupt etc, had screwed a charity out of hundreds of thousands of pounds, there is no way I would do business with them - dream boat or not, there is always another dream boat.

2 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

I really do not understand the thinking behind some of the above posts. If I knew that a business, albeit one that had changed name / declared old names bankrupt etc, had screwed a charity out of hundreds of thousands of pounds, there is no way I would do business with them - dream boat or not, there is always another dream boat.

Exactly as you say. The saga of the way a previous manager deliberately (allegedly ;) ) screwed CRT out of a huge amount of money has left a very long lasting bad taste in my mouth. Avoid, and look elsewhere, on principle.

2 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

But you are not buying the boat from Pilings lock marina. the boat will be owned by some private person, the boat may be exactly what you want and be in great condition. Its just like a house purchase, its nowt to do with the estate agents all they are is an advertising medium.

1 hour ago, Bod said:

This is why I asked who the broker is.

Well known firm, probably ok.

Pillings Lock own firm, probably best avoided.

Bod

And that is why I posted there sales details. The sell boats from their marina by the read of it to me using ebay and Boatsandoutboards

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

But you are not buying the boat from Pilings lock marina. the boat will be owned by some private person, the boat may be exactly what you want and be in great condition. Its just like a house purchase, its nowt to do with the estate agents all they are is an advertising medium.

And they take a nice slice off the top - I repeat, I would not do business with them on principle (apart from the chance of something going wrong with my hard-earned readies).

Also, they are not just an advertising medium - brokers have a reputation to uphold in the way they do business - I'm saying nothing more, I'm too old to waste time in a court.

• Greenie 1

Sorry new to forum and didn’t realise I had all these replies ! Thank you all so much for very good advice. And it’s great to be on canal world with you and even more exciting to be soon afloat! 

7 minutes ago, Saani said:

Sorry new to forum and didn’t realise I had all these replies ! Thank you all so much for very good advice. And it’s great to be on canal world with you and even more exciting to be soon afloat! 

If the person or broker you are buying from wears a three cornered hat and sports a brace of pistols,be careful!

• Haha 1

More seriously, do ask what they mechanism is for paying. If the transfer is to the broker m(who then passes it to the seller when the boat is handed over), ask very carefully about what account arrangements they have - it should be protected against them going into administration.