Battery replacement

Noggin

Featured Posts

After 7 years, my Numax domestic batteries have finally given up - just got home & intend to order 3 more - checked original boat specs - state 3 x 120AH batteries, but I'm pretty sure that those currently on board are 135AH - I can't check as the boat is 80 miles away-  silly question, but will there be a problem just buying 135AH's anyway? - electrics are a mystery to me 

Physical size is important. Length, width and height. For the boat safety scheme they need to be restrained from moving around and depending on how this is done on your boat, buying the wrong size may require some alterations. Better.to measure and check before buying. It may be the extra capacity in the 135Ahr batts are gained by more efficient use internal construction, or just in the height, but how do you know without measuring the originals?

Jen

• Greenie 1

If they are the same physical size with the same terminal layout then as long as you are on top of your charging regime (which you are if you got 7 years out of the lasts set) I can't see that you will notice much difference at all. 7 years life tells me you keep them well charged and never deeply discharge them so you probably had more capacity than you needed.

• Greenie 1

Can I ask a related question to this? Checking out my options for a replacement start battery recently, some of them are described by three numbers or a pair of same such as 643/644. Do these relate to the size of the case and orientation of the terminal posts?

40 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Can I ask a related question to this? Checking out my options for a replacement start battery recently, some of them are described by three numbers or a pair of same such as 643/644. Do these relate to the size of the case and orientation of the terminal posts?

I think so.  The alpha batteries site is good for dimensions etc.

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=643

however I did not buy my last set from them, found a better offer price elsewhere 

44 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Yes

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I think so.  The alpha batteries site is good for dimensions etc.

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=643

however I did not buy my last set from them, found a better offer price elsewhere 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yes

Thanks for that. Wouldn’t it be nice if all batteries were labelled with that code, would simplify the situation and avoid having to grovel around trying to measure up the old one in situ.

5 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Thanks for that. Wouldn’t it be nice if all batteries were labelled with that code, would simplify the situation and avoid having to grovel around trying to measure up the old one in situ.

I always thought that were all marked.

Mine are 625's.

I believe it comes from 'industrial /agricultural' usage, but all batteries are now coded.

Complete list here :

https://www.manbat.co.uk/wp-content/themes/manbat/pos/numax_2012.pdf