Yet another new scam

Grebe

Featured Posts

23 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I have been known to ask a caller from the bank for their full name and address and the three security numbers from their credit card.  Oddly none of them ever seem to want to provide the information.

I then tell them that if they need to contact me they can send me a secure message via their online system or they can write to me.

Quite.  I normally say I will call them back on the number on the back of my card.  I don’t think I have every had a bank one as a scam, but I always ask to raise a complaint against their process, but I don’t  think they get what they are doing at all, ie normalising this behaviour.

I had a call from the bank and when I asked the person to verify who they were they got a bit irate and froze my account. I then had to go in to a branch to sorry it out. The member of staff in the branch said the caller should always give part of the information and ask you to complete it such as the day and month of birth and ask you for the year.

15 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Be careful

The better scammers hold the line (if a landline), play dialtone, wait for you to dial then a different person speaks. It's the same call held open.

If at all possible, call the genuine number from a different phone.

I’m afraid this is an old wives tale and no longer true.  BT and I assume other providers stopped the ability of the calling party to hold the line open a few years ago. 

Obviously you should never call back on any number given to you over the phone and should use a number you know or one of the back if your card